Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, Desp said:

Sums it up. 

IMG-20240110-WA0011.jpg

I have no idea what that is supposed to imply.  That the fans are locked out looking in?  That they need to be trapped in a cupboard.  I have quite a lot of time for Motherwell’s media operations, but that wasn’t very good at all. 

The investment initiative that took what? 18 months/2years? 

There it is boys.
Drink it up.

A McMahon masterminded scheme. Beg for money!

That's it, the be all and end all. Make a funny video and hope it goes "viral".

8 minutes ago, Richie said:

👀

I mean, when there was talk of an 'Investment initiative' I assumed there was some sort of substantive commercial/financing agreement in the pipeline.

That makes at least two of us. 

You kinda hope that it is so bad we get more coverage as people talk about it. You know like those Go Compare adverts or similar. Maybe some Sheikh stumbles across it and writes a huge cheque whilst pissing his pants….

Just now, Busta Nut said:

The investment initiative that took what? 18 months/2years? 

There it is boys.
Drink it up.

A McMahon masterminded scheme. Beg for money!

That's it, the be all and end all. Make a funny video and hope it goes "viral".

This, 100% is my reaction to that video tbh.

I don't think the video itself is that bad. If we'd produced it as a bit of a giggle, with a bit more humour etc, the idea isn't a million miles off Hartley and the piano etc.

The trouble is - well, there's tonnes of trouble but as a stand out - it was trailed as a serious campaign and then muddled the serious message among the gags.

But clearly we don't need a proper head of comms or anything...

5 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I don't think the video itself is that bad. If we'd produced it as a bit of a giggle, with a bit more humour etc, the idea isn't a million miles off Hartley and the piano etc.

The trouble is - well, there's tonnes of trouble but as a stand out - it was trailed as a serious campaign and then muddled the serious message among the gags.

But clearly we don't need a proper head of comms or anything...

+1 on this as well.

I think this is the crux of my issue with it. Especially after years of Burrows and Russell working to "tell compelling stories" and create the idea of the club as a credible thing then they launch this.

I feel a bit sorry for Scott and the media team in so much as they'll have been told to put it together but as @Busta Nut says the actual messaging and "initiative" is entirely the work of unserious people who it would appear don't have a fucking clue what they're doing in this specific area.

But we definitely don't need a Head of Digital, Brand and Communications...

Edited by capt_oats

I realise I got an email, might just have been a Well Society one, requesting that I attend Fir Park for ‘something’.  I didn’t go but clearly others did. 

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

+1 on this as well.

I think this is the crux of my issue with it. Especially after years of Burrows and Russell working to "tell compelling stories" and create the idea of the club as a credible thing then they launch this.

I feel a bit sorry for Scott and the media team in so much as they'll have been told to put it together but as @Busta Nut says the actual messaging is entirely the work of unserious people who it would appear don't have a fucking clue what they're doing in this specific area.

But we definitely don't need a Head of Digital, Brand and Communications...

Yeh this for me as well. I've now watched it twice (I know I know) and I don't think it's as bad the second time viewing it. There is some reasonable stuff in there and the middle part of the video is actually alright. Highlighting the community benefit is a real selling point for the club and I do believe it's a big thing for potential investors in the current climate to be seen to be doing good in communities. 

However the Taylor Swift thing at the end... No disrespect to the wee lad and I hate to pick on a part that has a kid saying it but whatever adult thought that was a good line at the end, Jesus Christ. I get the video is supposed to be relatively light hearted (I'd rather it was less so but whatever) but that just brings the whole thing down tbh. I could almost make my peace with the rest and brush it off but tbh that line really kills it.

I think people are adding this humorous element to mask their rid necks. There is no intended humour IMO. 

The players are laughing cos they know the state of it.