Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 minutes ago, ropy said:

We will end up signing 6 or 7 jobbers on deadline day in the hope that two click.

Tbh here’s hoping two do click. We certainly have the squad space.

I also know hee haw about our youth prospects due to lack of coverage by the club. Are any good enough to make the step up outside if Miller?

1 hour ago, wellboy1991 said:

Yip that’s how I interpreted it tbh. However you would think a recruitment and management team worth their weight would have options lined up just in case right… right.

I mean, it was the same recruitment team who brought Biereth in so that's something...then again we had a whole summer to work on that.

It feels like turning a similar deal round in January is a much tougher question.

Edited by capt_oats

That’s the problem with loans, January recall option.

Hopefully shows other potential loanee options that playing for the mighty Well could get them into the first team at their club or a move to a better one  

Good luck to Mika, seemed like a good lad.

52 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I suspect this is a daft question but was there actually any positive news from the presser?

The Chasni pies have signed on until the end of the season.

I still think loans of the type we are seeing have a place for us - but I would think that we should view every loan as a 6 month with a possibility to extend at a given date if all parties agree - the 12 month thing is obviously not worth the paper it's written on.

Also - as certain positions (eg, Keeper and main striker) are pivotal - the risk of using loan players there is probably too high and we shouldn't do that.

Dread to think where we would be without Mika contribution this season. Ordinarily I hope he does well as he did us a solid. But in many (bitter) ways I hope Sheffield Wed still have a shite season if that is where he ends up. As for those chunts at Arsenal. Unless they send us another promising young striker I hope their recent poor run continues. I don’t care if it is shallow and uncalled for it makes me feel better.

Is paper thin thinner than wafer thin. Genuinely don’t know which one to use when describing our squad as it stands. Be prepared for Maguire and Shaw starting this weekend. Joy of joys. Edit to add - just realised Shaw is down as injured 🤷‍♂️

Edited by welldaft

So even just to replace players we've lost we're looking at 2 strikers, CM, RWB.

Souaré (out - end of contract) - Montgomery (in)
Wilkinson (out - sold) - ?
Spencer (out - recalled) - ?
Slattery (inj - out for season) - ? 
Biereth (out - recalled) - ?

Plus Kettlewell had indicated that he felt we were short before all *this*.

Seems he spoke about "business" in general during the presser:

The news comes quickly after the major blow of losing Callum Slattery for the rest of the season to a knee problem which the midfielder suffered in training.

Kettlewell admitted that injury had already “massively” altered his January plans before the surprise loss of Biereth.

“Callum has played almost every minute and been a huge player for us,” he added.

“I think for the first seven or eight games of the season Callum Slattery was right up there in the top performers in the division. He has been good in a lot of other games as well.

“That injury was a huge blow for me, especially for Callum, and the club. It starts to point you in different directions and you start to have a look at different types of players that we probably didn’t think we were going to need.

“So that makes it a big challenge because you are another starter down but we are not able to magic up more funds to replace that.”

Motherwell had also seen wing-back Brodie Spencer recalled halfway through a loan spell from Huddersfield and allowed forward Conor Wilkinson to join Colchester, while Pape Souare was released.

Celtic left-back Adam Montgomery arrived on loan earlier this week while Barry Maguire and Nathan McGinley are back from temporary spells and other transfer talks remain ongoing.

“There’s been plenty of conversations, some of them are still spinning and some of them are trundling along, and several aren’t,” said Kettlewell, who remains without the injured Oli Shaw, Shane Blaney and Lennon Miller for Saturday’s Scottish Cup tie against Alloa.

“Other clubs in this division can blow us out of the water for instance.

“There’s plenty of knockbacks and disappointment in there but I do hope we are in a decent position with a couple of players and I would love to think that over the next few days we can try and get some of them over the line.”

Link

1 hour ago, Blink182 said:

image.png.58a8026228839ac71400ba13015008d7.png

I know that picture is a good reference to joke about, but that window we signed Stephen Pearson and Marvin Johnson, as well as signing Scott McDonald shortly after the window had closed.

What I'd give for three players of that ilk to sign for us now.

This season has been one absolute scunner after another. Considering it seems we're offering any prospective signings about £3.50 a week and no petrol money I'm not sure how we arrest this nosedive we're in. 

If we get to the end of the season still in this division it'll be a miracle. 

2 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

This season has been one absolute scunner after another. Considering it seems we're offering any prospective signings about £3.50 a week and no petrol money I'm not sure how we arrest this nosedive we're in. 

If we get to the end of the season still in this division it'll be a miracle. 

I think the miracle is that Livi are utterly dug meat and we should finish ahead of them. However that isn’t of course a given. 

Just now, wellboy1991 said:

I think the miracle is that Livi are utterly dug meat and we should finish ahead of them. However that isn’t of course a given. 

I've got absolutely zero belief that this squad of huddies would beat anybody in a play off.