Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

In the end comfortable. Yet again we concede a goal with the opposition 1st shot on target. It is getting very very predictable !

Pass marks for Gent, Montgomery, Miller. 

Thought the rest of the team struggled and not overly impressed with Davor. He did not do much wrong he just did not do that much. If you are going to shine then you should against a team 2 levels below. Bair was back to being Bair. Struggling to trap and control the ball. Just being in the wrong place more often than not. I like the guy and want him to succeed but he should be back up or an option for the last 20 minutes. The fact he is our only fit striker is quite frankly horrifying and such a poor situation to find ourselves in. 

In many ways it is quite impressive and even mystifying we are winning games (or not losing them) with about 13 fit players to choose from. 

We still need a commanding CB in the Aldred mould. Mugabi should be on the bench and not starting. A right back that is not SODs even though he was OK today. Another midfielder or two and 3 strikers. So another 6 players 3 or 4 that can come into the starting 11. We do that and with a fair wind we will survive in the top flight. 

2 minutes ago, camer0n_mcd said:

There is genuinely no chance that we'll be spending money on any player

According to Martindale it's a 'nominal' fee. So even at that, maybe?

Feels like ages since I've had anything positive to say, so here we go.

Gent's delivery is absolutely superb. I was trying to think back during the game to when we last had someone that could put a ball in like that consistently, and I struggled.

Montgomery with Gent in front is a VERY tidy left side, that I really enjoyed watching.

Edited by Al B

1 minute ago, Al B said:

Feels like ages since I've had anything positive to say, so here we go.

Gent's delivery is absolutely superb. I was trying to think back during the game to when we last had someone that could put a ball in like that consistently, and I struggled.

Montgomery with Gent in front is a VERY tidy left side, that I really enjoyed watching.

There was twice that a defender nearly knocked one of the crosses in.

8 minutes ago, welldaft said:

In the end comfortable. Yet again we concede a goal with the opposition 1st shot on target. It is getting very very predictable !

Thought the rest of the team struggled and not overly impressed with Davor. He did not do much wrong he just did not do that much. If you are going to shine then you should against a team 2 levels below. Bair was back to being Bair. Struggling to trap and control the ball. Just being in the wrong place more often than not. I like the guy and want him to succeed but he should be back up or an option for the last 20 minutes. The fact he is our only fit striker is quite frankly horrifying and such a poor situation to find ourselves in. 

In many ways it is quite impressive and even mystifying we are winning games (or not losing them) with about 13 fit players to choose from. 

We still need a commanding CB in the Aldred mould. Mugabi should be on the bench and not starting. A right back that is not SODs even though he was OK today. Another midfielder or two and 3 strikers. So another 6 players 3 or 4 that can come into the starting 11. We do that and with a fair wind we will survive in the top flight. 

I agree with a lot of your post but I really don’t about Davor. He does the dirty hard work in the middle of the park really well. Breaks up play, protects the back 3 (however they don’t protect themselves), simple stuff to link up play from defence to midfield. I think he’s a very very tidy DM and will link up well with Miller. 

5 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

I agree with a lot of your post but I really don’t about Davor. He does the dirty hard work in the middle of the park really well. Breaks up play, protects the back 3 (however they don’t protect themselves), simple stuff to link up play from defence to midfield. I think he’s a very very tidy DM and will link up well with Miller. 

Tbf the defensive midfielder, water carrier type is going to struggle to excel in today's type of game - he tidied up and gave it to those supposed to create, I don't know what more you'd expect from him really.

7 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Having a pop at Davor is nuts. 

I Don't think he gave the ball away once today. He looks a good wee player.

He is far too lightweight for me. Should not be starting. We were under little pressure today and his passing was generally poor. I would liked to have seen a lot more from him against lower league opposition. 

All about opinions and these are mine. Thankfully Miller and Halliday will be in midfield going forwards. 

I see greeny boy is filling his boots as per. All too predictable 😂

Edited by welldaft

2 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Tbf the defensive midfielder, water carrier type is going to struggle to excel in today's type of game - he tidied up and gave it to those supposed to create, I don't know what more you'd expect from him really.

Yip 💯 agree. Thought the wee fella had a good game. Did his job well.

Hard to tell if Gent and Spittal playing wide- making it a 5-2-3 I suppose rather than a 5-4-1- is something Ketts cobbled together due to having no other options or something we'll be sticking with. If it is we're probably prioritising a #9, a right winger and a right back?

Wonder if Fraser is a goer. Numbers wise it feels like there's not much room in the midfield with Halliday in and a Miller back.

3 hours ago, JamesP_81 said:

To the person sitting behind me who was telling Spittal to get away from the ball at the free kick coz he never scored his penalty, get it roon ye.  

3 hours ago, Well Well said:

To be fair I think most of the ground was saying the same about Spitall at that point.

Person behind me called it actually. "He missed the penalty, watch him score this.." 🙄

I take it that, for those asking previously, Dylan Wells is the next closest to exiting The Academy Pipeline. Couldn't make out if he got a touch of the ball or not though.

FWIW I also thought Davor did better than Paton today. And for all the general "meh" of Halliday not setting hearts alight, he did get a decent applause when he came on. Maybe 75% of Miller's volume.

18 minutes ago, AnderooMFC said:

And for all the general "meh" of Halliday not setting hearts alight, he did get a decent applause when he came on. Maybe 75% of Miller's volume.

They both did get an impressive round of applause. Was very noticeable actually I thought. 

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

I think your doing Davor a disservice here. Aside from physicality of it, I thought he was good today.

Andy Rose style, goes about his work quietly.

Edited by Neil86

8 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

I think your doing Davor a disservice here. Aside from physicality of it, I thought he was good today.

Andy Rose style, goes about his work quietly.

Fair enough. We all have different opinions. 

I am looking for him to shine against a team from 2 leagues below us. In my opinion he did not do enough. Then again nor did many including Paton.

I like Davor. He seems like a decent guy. Just not sure he is cut out for the top league. The demands are too physical. 

If he starts most of our games from here on in and impresses I will happily eat my words. Just don’t see it 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, camer0n_mcd said:

There is genuinely no chance that we'll be spending money on any player

Apparently you've bid though! Good luck with him if so, don't play him as a striker. Massive fall off this season for him

1 minute ago, ATLIS said:

Apparently you've bid though! Good luck with him if so, don't play him as a striker. Massive fall off this season for him

I was away to say, I wouldn't be surprised if we were one of the teams looking at him given how short we are up front and our pivot to this 343/523 whatever you want to call it.

We've had no issue paying 'nominal' fees in the past. I'd still imagine he'll head to Exeter though.

4 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Fair enough. We all have different opinions. 

I am looking for him to shine against a team from 2 leagues below us. In my opinion he did not do enough. Then again nor did many including Paton.

I like Davor. He seems like a decent guy. Just not sure he is cut out for the top league. The demands are too physical. 

If he starts most of our games from here on in and impresses I will happily eat my words. Just don’t see it 🤷‍♂️

That's it mate. I think we see that even hearts and Aberdeen just about done enough against even lower opposition so from that point of view its hard to be too critical. 

I totally agree on the physicality part btw.

Hopefully your eating your words in a few months time.