Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

17 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Anyway, see if Livi are taking 'nominal' offers for their players can we not chuck them some change for Stephen Kelly seeing as Hearts have taken Fraser off the table?

If we were continue to play this formation, would you consider Kelly to play where Davor and Paton played yesterday, or where Spittal and Gent did?

I'm not denying I'd welcome quality additions in all areas of the pitch, but now we have Halliday and Miller is returning, would we be in danger of creating a surplus of central midfielders when there are other areas that need addressing more? I say that having seen both Halliday and Paton playing in the front three at points yesterday.

17 hours ago, Allroy for Prez said:

I’m struggling to think of a worse striker we’ve had to endure.

Come on now. Bair is frustrating as hell at times but we all know he's a project.

Even without spending time thinking about it I can raise you Jacob Blyth, Calum Elliott, Wes Fletcher, Paul Keegan, Ross McCormack (v2), Christy Manzinga. Not to mention super-sub Oli Shaw.

Bair has plenty of attributes that could see him he relatively successful at this level, if he can be coached to read the game better and improve his decision making.

Whether he develops that way or not is another thing but he's already had an okay impact and chipped in with a few goals.

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Also...what's this all about then? I take it it'll be the weans and also he meant players from the club not just c***s with an ML1  postcode?

On the radio yesterday they were discussing Kettlewell, and McCall said that he'd had a lot of business discussions with him over the past 2 weeks and found him to be a first rate professional.

55 minutes ago, fat_tony said:

Come on now. Bair is frustrating as hell at times but we all know he's a project.

Even without spending time thinking about it I can raise you Jacob Blyth, Calum Elliott, Wes Fletcher, Paul Keegan, Ross McCormack (v2), Christy Manzinga. Not to mention super-sub Oli Shaw.

Bair has plenty of attributes that could see him he relatively successful at this level, if he can be coached to read the game better and improve his decision making.

Whether he develops that way or not is another thing but he's already had an okay impact and chipped in with a few goals.

All those guys were shocking for sure but if my memory serves me correctly none of them featured as regularly as Bair has had to be used.  

None of the above had extended runs in the team like Bair has had, whilst I appreciate that possibly wasn’t the plan. 

I’m not sure you can coach instinct either, although you could certainly tell him to start gambling on any of the crosses that Gent was putting in, especially after the first couple weren’t acted on. 

1 hour ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

If we were continue to play this formation, would you consider Kelly to play where Davor and Paton played yesterday, or where Spittal and Gent did?

I'm not denying I'd welcome quality additions in all areas of the pitch, but now we have Halliday and Miller is returning, would we be in danger of creating a surplus of central midfielders when there are other areas that need addressing more? I say that having seen both Halliday and Paton playing in the front three at points yesterday.

Absolutely fair point.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be seeing it as a priority or anything more of an opportunity before it hits the free agency auction.

I guess it'd be in the area where Spittal and Gent were. Ultimately Gent isn't our player and as @Busta Nut has alluded to there will be games upcoming where it might not be working for him, it'd be nice to have an alternative. Same with Spittal who it still feels we're wildly reliant on for creativity (albeit that feels mitigated a bit given the quality of some of the balls Gent was putting in).

With Slattery injured and out of contract, Spittal's contract up in the air and Gent contracted with Blackburn until 2025 I guess it's someone who could be a good fit for us.

Incidentally, I don't know how instructive it is but I thought it was interesting that it was Paton who was replaced by Halliday rather than Davor (or Gent).

Edited by capt_oats

Only concern with the signing is how good is the quality of the Australian league as Riku Danzaki didn’t work out. We’re desperate for a right back though so I’d be all for that and push SOD in. 

1 minute ago, Ill Ray said:

Only concern with the signing is how good is the quality of the Australian league as Riku Danzaki didn’t work out. We’re desperate for a right back though so I’d be all for that and push SOD in. 

I wouldn't say it's a concern given the number of players who have moved over from the Australian league. I wouldn't use Danzaki as a bellweather tbh.

The thing I noticed is that - according to Transfermarkt - he's been without a club since last year so hasn't really kicked a baw in a while. I see from the piece the Record are running he had a trial at Hearts earlier in the season which is nice for him (he's also Scottish).

Given he's OOC and presumably a permanent signing I do wonder if this is maybe with a view to longer term succession planning.

Seeing we're as short as we are would there maybe be an argument for bringing another RWB in and making that RCB position a thing for SOD along with McGinn (who I thought showed up well on the left of the 3 - and as @crazylegsjoe_mfc mentioned has also fitted in well in the centre).

FWIW I heard yesterday we're in for another four or five, two of which are RB/RWBs. 

Also think the view going forward is SODs at RCB, which is absolutely fine given he's look better there than at RWB of late. 

Edited by MurrayWell

8 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

FWIW I heard yesterday we're in for another four or five, two of which are RB/RWBs. 

Also think the view going forward is SODs at RCB, which is absolutely fine given he's look better there than at RWB of late. 

Heard that 2 are done deals and it was hoped to announce them before the game and another 2 very close to being over the line.

Here's hoping.

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Incidentally, I don't know how instructive it is but I thought it was interesting that it was Paton who was replaced by Halliday rather than Davor (or Gent).

I thought Paton was closest to a yellow card so that may have come into it.

6 minutes ago, ropy said:

I thought Paton was closest to a yellow card so that may have come into it.

I don't think it's a bold prediction to say Paton is heading towards the bench rather than the XI regardless of whether we revert to 3-5-2 or continue with 5-4-1/3-6-1 shenanigans.

7 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I don't think it's a bold prediction to say Paton is heading towards the bench rather than the XI regardless of whether we revert to 3-5-2 or continue with 5-4-1/3-6-1 shenanigans.

I tend to think of both Paton and Bair as impact subs . That is when we seem to get the best out of them .

A wee bit concerned that the Elliot lad has not played any competitive football for over 6 months or thereabouts.

That said his last club Wellington Phoenix had offered him a 3 year deal. He snubbed it apparently as the sell on clause he felt was priced too high and could act as a barrier for a move to Europe. There is that I guess. Although Hearts had a look and obviously decided against taking him on board. 

Who knows but he is young enough and hopefully eager to impress. He also has one full cap for New Zealand so must have some promise. Wonder what happened to the German Tobias whatever his name was ?