Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

40 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Dunno lads, I feel like we could probably have kept our powder dry rather than giving it the "I told you so" about the big man.

Kettlewell is clearly looking for any sort of win at the moment. Not getting many on the field or off it so clearly looking for something to hold onto imo. 

16 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

Kettlewell is clearly looking for any sort of win at the moment. Not getting many on the field or off it so clearly looking for something to hold onto imo. 

Possibly but let's be honest, he absolutely loves himself and never tires of telling people what he's not going to tell them about our points last season, Bair etc when he has the chance.

It was mildly irritating when we were winning, taking plaudits for an individual player to such an extent when we've won one in 19 is absolutely idiotic imho. Most managers would have subtly passed the credit to the player while saying there's still more to come and so on.

I don't mind him talking a lot because he usually talks well but he really should tone down his view of himself... especially at the minute!

20 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Possibly but let's be honest, he absolutely loves himself and never tires of telling people what he's not going to tell them about our points last season, Bair etc when he has the chance.

It was mildly irritating when we were winning, taking plaudits for an individual player to such an extent when we've won one in 19 is absolutely idiotic imho. Most managers would have subtly passed the credit to the player while saying there's still more to come and so on.

I don't mind him talking a lot because he usually talks well but he really should tone down his view of himself... especially at the minute!

This is also very true. Certainly likes to put himself in the window. 

I agree he needs to certainly read the room more at times.

I've actually found a lot of the Bair discourse really odd, surprising even.

Like, we've seen journos pretty much saying straight to his face "LOL everyone thought you were shit eh?" like that's a totally OK line to take.

Not jumping to Kettlewell's defence here, but I think ahead of the Dundee game (first game of the season) he was already talking up Bair and that he felt he'd seen something other managers hadn't in him. Media around Bair is frankly fucking ridiculous, fair play to him for just ignoring it. 

Bair deserves all the praise coming his way, he has been superb for us this season despite what some folk have claimed. 

Wondering if these same people reckon we should have brought Tommy Wright in when he was linked, given the high esteem they seem to hold the opinions of St Johnstone fans in... 

21 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I've actually found a lot of the Bair discourse really odd, surprising even.

Like, we've seen journos pretty much saying straight to his face "LOL everyone thought you were shit eh?" like that's a totally OK line to take.

Thought exactly the same myself. I think it was Jane Lewis that did the post match interviews on Saturday and the wording of some of her questions to both Bair and Kettlewell were borderline offensive. The big man fielded them pretty well though in typical placid Canadian style. 

44 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

Not jumping to Kettlewell's defence here, but I think ahead of the Dundee game (first game of the season) he was already talking up Bair and that he felt he'd seen something other managers hadn't in him. Media around Bair is frankly fucking ridiculous, fair play to him for just ignoring it. 

Bair deserves all the praise coming his way, he has been superb for us this season despite what some folk have claimed. 

Aye to be clear, when I'm saying we should have kept our powder dry I'm not saying we shouldn't be talking him up. He's been playing really well and above anything else he seems to be someone who responds well to that sort of thing.

I guess what I mean is that it just feels a bit premature for Kettlewell to be taking victory laps with a "told you so" energy. Leave that sort of chat until the end of the season when he's hit 20. :) 

58 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

Wondering if these same people reckon we should have brought Tommy Wright in when he was linked, given the high esteem they seem to hold the opinions of St Johnstone fans in... 

I dont think the media thought Bair would fail because St Johnstone fans thought he was shite, he was genuinely just hopeless with us and anyone who covered a match for us in which he played would've thought he was awful and wouldnt have understood Motherwell signing him.

Get that Motherwell fans possibly never seen him play for us, but he was generally around the worst player on the park every time he played for us, and even when he got the ball in space (he fell over it once with nobody within 10 yards of him) or gor a 1 on 1 chance (he got one, sliding doors chance like this, and hit it out the stadium) he never showed anything.

Getting fortunate with your injuries etc., giving him a proper run has worked out well for him, and im glad as he seemed a nice guy.

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Get that Motherwell fans possibly never seen him play for us, but he was generally around the worst player on the park every time he played for us, and even when he got the ball in space (he fell over it once with nobody within 10 yards of him) or gor a 1 on 1 chance (he got one, sliding doors chance like this, and hit it out the stadium) he never showed anything.

We had Oli Shaw filling that quota so maybe it just balances out. 

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I dont think the media thought Bair would fail because St Johnstone fans thought he was shite, he was genuinely just hopeless with us and anyone who covered a match for us in which he played would've thought he was awful and wouldnt have understood Motherwell signing him.

Getting fortunate with your injuries etc., giving him a proper run has worked out well for him, and im glad as he seemed a nice guy.

My point is more that before he kicked a ball for us certain Motherwell fans had made up their minds about him based on St Johnstone reviews. I tend to go for the 'let's see how he does for us first' approach, given there are so many factors that can impact how someone plays. 

Not having a pop at you or your fellow fans, I realise he never kicked on for you. St Johnstone just happened to be the example on this occasion, think in Scottish football there is often a trend that players are quickly written off just because fans of other teams have said they weren't up to much. I'm sure Saints have had that on occasion? The Tommy Wright comment was more a wee bit tongue in cheek about everyone's favourite Courier columnist. 

If you've followed it here, even when Bair was playing well, folk in the Well support were still determined to talk him down in the most hyperbolic fashion. Thought that was ridiculous and didn't really understand why this narrative was continuing, despite his good form.

It must be nice when that one project kind of works. We won't talk about the ones that don't though.

Bair wasn't very good before St. J either and they gave him a year to prove himself, and he didn't. We've been able to give Bair minutes he wouldn't have gotten otherwise due to injuries and shiteness, and he's benefitted from it.

I remember coming away from the game where we equalised in injury time then St Johnstone scored again two minutes later thinking Bair had been better than anything we had upfront that game. Maybe that was his best performance for St Johnstone though. 

I try to not pre-judge players ever since Handsome John spent a year at Hearts looking like he'd never played football before, sandwiched in between being an absolute bona-fide legend at Fir Park. Sometimes a particular club or setup just does/doesn't work for a player.

For whatever reason, big Theo is thriving and you love to see it.

I don't want to piss on the chips re Bair but re the whole getting carried away thing, it's not like he immediately convinced - he had two goals by Xmas and even when improving it's only very recently he's been what you'd call 'good' rather than 'good for a fourth choice project'.

Essentially I'm thrilled with his change in form but I'm not yet totally convinced it's not just a blip.