Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

8 hours ago, welldaft said:

A wee wake up call for the Ketts doubters of which there have been a few on here. In truth it was fairly obvious he had the team and players onside. They all said so and meant it.

Second this, quite a few doubters - some more vociferous than others. I think a lot of people were just looking at the short term results. That was the be all and end all, which is short-sighted. There were good reasons for that expressed in Kettlewell's interviews. No one entertains those explanations when their team is losing, but we know he's a capable manager as he demonstrated it previous to the bad run of results. We know that the players are onside, so firing him didn't in my opinion make sense. 

I think sacking managers isn't always the answer. Sometimes it's just a difficult period where things just are going against you and if you can keep your head and hold fire then you'll get out the other side. It was the same when Steve Clarke went through a crap spell around Euro 2020 you had dumplings calling for his head.

Edited by 2426255

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Spittal is beginning to remind me a lot of Paul Hartley - a guy who had potential for a while but for whatever reason didn't deliver regularly until something clicks in the mid to late 20s. It's obviously doubtful he'll make quite the same leap as PH but he upped a gear when SK arrived and in the last few months has found another. He'll be worth every penny St Mirren are paying him.

Little to add on the rest that hasn't been said. Curious as to whether we bring in some fresh legs on Friday...SK seems to be very much a never change a winning team guy though so presumably if you're fit you keep your place after that.

Is Spittal actually going to St Mirren or is it still just a rumour ?

I mean no disrespect to St Mirren…..actually plenty of disrespect to St Mirren 😉, but if he continues on this form he would have the likes of Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen sniffing and many options down south one would imagine. Paying a lot more than St Mirren have probably offered. Should probably add Killie to that list, although it may mean breaking their £2000 a week limit……..again.

Maybe part of the reason for the upturn in form is again down to the fact he is out of contract ? Either way there is probably little likelihood we can offer as much. Shame really…..

2 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Is Spittal actually going to St Mirren or is it still just a rumour ?

I mean no disrespect to St Mirren…..actually plenty of disrespect to St Mirren 😉, but if he continues on this form he would have the likes of Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen sniffing and many options down south one would imagine. Paying a lot more than St Mirren have probably offered. Should probably add Killie to that list, although it may mean breaking their £2000 a week limit……..again.

Maybe part of the reason for the upturn in form is again down to the fact he is out of contract ? Either way there is probably little likelihood we can offer as much. Shame really…..

If St Mirren fans say it then who am I to doubt...

There's no question his recent form would have justified him being a top earner for us but we're just not going to be able to match what others offer - nor should we, obviously, for all the usual reasons.

It's still great to see though, not only for the enjoyment and points but he's currently a walking advert for both 'the model' and, it has to be said, Kettlewell in particular. For all his clear flaws, that's two guys who were probably in the journeyman bracket that have transformed under his watch and have pocketed/are about to pocket life-defining deals. Is that worth sacrificing a grand a week if you're a potential summer signing? Probably not. Worth sacrificing £200-300 a week? Possibly?

9 hours ago, Swello said:

In amongst all the stand-out stuff - Nicholson put in another interesting cameo tonight - think he could be a properly good signing (is he just short-term/loan?)

The spiel in the news story for his signing was really oddly worded in so much as it implied it was a free transfer.

"Sam Nicholson has joined the club the club on a deal running until the end of the season, subject to international clearance and paperwork formalities."

Link

However, during the press call he did the other week he said that he's still "technically" under contract at Colorado.

Reading Colorado's announcement he's been 'waived' so it seems he's been freed.

COMMERCE CITY, Colo. — Colorado Rapids defender Danny Wilson and winger Sam Nicholson have been waived, the club announced today.

Wilson, 32, initially joined the Rapids ahead of the 2018 season from Scotland’s Rangers F.C.. The center back made 136 regular season appearances for Colorado, scoring five goals and adding seven assists during his six seasons with the club. 

Nicholson, 28, rejoined the Rapids in 2022 after a two-season spell with Bristol Rovers F.C.. Nicholson previously spent three seasons with the Rapids from May 2018 to July 2020. In total, he scored six goals and delivered eight assists across 85 regular-season appearances during two stints with the club. 

“We’d like to thank Danny and Sam for their contributions on and off the field during their time at the club,” said Colorado Rapids President Pádraig Smith. “We wish them both all the best in their future endeavors.”

Link

I actually quite enjoyed his presser (as far as you can "enjoy" pre-match interviews with players) he seems entirely sound...

Edited by capt_oats

I would extend Nicholson already...or have him on the stay pile at least.

Another wee oddity occured to me, our move for Brophy reportedly fell through because Adams didn't want him to go to a rival yet didn't think him good enough to be one of 16 used in a 5-0 gubbing.

Add me to the Sam fanclub, a very tidy player and I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do at full fitness.

Also been very impressed with Andy Halliday, he's been a great addition.

Just now, Al B said:

Add me to the Sam fanclub, a very tidy player and I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do at full fitness.

Also been very impressed with Andy Halliday, he's been a great addition.

My big concern with Nicholson was that his injuries had maybe removed that wee spark of pace, but judging by his brief appearances; he's absolutely fine over the five yards that matter.

Appreciate there's a lot of recency bias on this, but given that one of the major rubs against Ketts has been his recruitment, feels mildly longer term at the moment? Yes that leaves us with some projects, but Nicholson, Elliot, Montgomery, Vale are all presumably available beyond the end of the season on a contract, so get them in, have a look, see if they'll fit and then get them signed. Halliday already dealt with is sensible business if not thrilling, as we try not to have to sign 12 guys fresh in the summer.

Outstanding result. Thoroughly enjoyed the game. As mentioned it should have been at least 8. Mental. The team that strangely lost three on the bounce at the start of the season to Celtic, Rangers and St Mirren by the odd goal but looked really good in the process seem to be back. 

Let’s hope we can maintain the recent performances and get into a comfortable position. I can’t see top six but would be more than happy with getting a gap between us and 11th.

Finally, Blair Spittal has a better move in his future than St Mirren. That’s not inside info. That’ll just be the amount of teams who will now be on his radar. Can see him going down South for better money.

Edited by Quatermass

43 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

The spiel in the news story for his signing was really oddly worded in so much as it implied it was a free transfer.

However, during the press call he did the other week he said that he's still "technically" under contract at Colorado.

Reading Colorado's announcement he's been 'waived' so it seems he's been freed.

I actually quite enjoyed his presser (as far as you can "enjoy" pre-match interviews with players) he seems entirely sound...

MLS contracts work differently, im sure.

By "waived" it means they're releasing him, but his contract is available for another MLS club to take up. Meaning he can move to another MLS club on exactly the same contract he was on.

If nobody in the MLS takes the contract on (theres a timeframe but a great big shrug about how long that is), then he becomes a traditional free agent and has to negotiate a new deal regardless of whether he moves within the MLS or abroad.

26 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Appreciate there's a lot of recency bias on this, but given that one of the major rubs against Ketts has been his recruitment, feels mildly longer term at the moment? Yes that leaves us with some projects, but Nicholson, Elliot, Montgomery, Vale are all presumably available beyond the end of the season on a contract, so get them in, have a look, see if they'll fit and then get them signed. Halliday already dealt with is sensible business if not thrilling, as we try not to have to sign 12 guys fresh in the summer.

Agree, I dunno if it's just happens to who's available but the January business had considerably more known quantities along with the total punts. I mean, assuming Nicholson and Halliday are fit, why wouldn't they be good enough for our level? They have been for years. Montgomery came into a game at St J, even Vale with a couple of dozen appearances for the Blackburn first team, is unlikely not to be capable of contributing something quicker than Gent, say, who hadn't got that far.

I guess the key is how early you can decide on the glorified trailists and if they're willing to commit. Nicholson, like Casey, is probably unlikely to sign with us to 2026 till he scouts other offers etc.

9 hours ago, wellboy1991 said:

I really like the look of Nicholson. Looks a very very tidy footballer. Also would love to see him getting more game time. 

Vale looked to me initially that he was trying too hard when he first came on and looked really excitable. However took his goal well and looked to have real pace to burn. Could be a very effective weapon second half off the season from the bench. 

Vale had had 3 touches before the first "get rid of him" shout from the Main Stand.

Vale looked quite good fun when he came on last night. Immediately booted a County player before he'd even touched the ball, ran around at full pelt for a bit, could have had an assist and then grabbed a goal. Already much more fun than Shaw and Obika combined. 

10 minutes ago, Pettigrew said:

Vale had had 3 touches before the first "get rid of him" shout from the Main Stand.

His first one was a County jobber's shin which got a roar of approval from me tbf.

2 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

His first one was a County jobber's shin which got a roar of approval from me tbf.

Immediately justified the signing. Could have been hooked after that and I'd have been happy with what I saw. 

Took his goal well too, I suppose. 

11 minutes ago, Pettigrew said:

Pat Nevin’s book has an interesting para on the man of the moment…

IMG_3799.jpeg

Is it worth a read, overall? Looked at it when I was in buying a copy of 1923 (great book even if you don't care about cycling) but decided against it. 

6 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Is it worth a read, overall? Looked at it when I was in buying a copy of 1923 (great book even if you don't care about cycling) but decided against it. 

I only read the bit about us. There's some interesting snippets about that era for sure but his constant tone (at least - possibly his entire personality) is a never ending combination of humble brag and self-justification.

Which isn't to say he's not correct, that's a different matter...maybe it's just my personal reaction to it but I don't think many Motherwell fans will read his reflections and be particularly sympathetic.

3 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I only read the bit about us. There's some interesting snippets about that era for sure but his constant tone (at least - possibly his entire personality) is a never ending combination of humble brag and self-justification.

Which isn't to say he's not correct, that's a different matter...maybe it's just my personal reaction to it but I don't think many Motherwell fans will read his reflections and be particularly sympathetic.

Fair. I'll wait til it ends up on the Kindle sale and pick it up then.