Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

3 minutes ago, ropy said:

What time are folk going along today, 86 minutes has been the earliest goal in this fixture this season.

Quite bizarre, yet somehow I think that may be beaten today - as in earlier.

I mentioned in a previous post that I would want our prospective new owner to have deep pockets. Again not because I want them to go all Chelsea. But someone who could afford to take a hit of £500k - £1m per season when needed and not have any huge impact on their net worth. 

If we end up with someone that has a few million (if that) or has to borrow money to invest in MFC then I would rather we went down the road of giving the Well Society a chance. I doubt even with a fresh focus and membership push that we could plug that gap from a poor season, so it would probably involve making some cutbacks.

Unfortunately I doubt the senior exec at Netflix mentioned above would have the required wealth so it would be a big gamble if indeed it is even him. Hopefully this whole expertise and exposure may bring others to the table 🤞.

57 minutes ago, welldaft said:

I mentioned in a previous post that I would want our prospective new owner to have deep pockets. Again not because I want them to go all Chelsea. But someone who could afford to take a hit of £500k - £1m per season when needed and not have any huge impact on their net worth. 

Those interested so far have made it clear this is a business venture for them, if they take a hit of X in any season they will want it back later. As much as selling the assets and closing us down is ultimately a possibility, to be realistic it is also highly unlikely - what's more probable is a bored owner starts taking cash out the club to recover their investment and leaves us floundering playing wise. which is arguably where we are now. Which brings us back to the question of why we're doing this...

It's also why the US guy instinctively appeals more to me, there's a natural separation of business and sport. He may like the idea of 'owning' a club but nothing in his past suggests he wants to run one. It screams the possibility of a deal where he gives us X up front and Y per year, in exchange he gets access to the props and characters for his telly show, we let him keep the profit from that and if the club makes a wad from increased sponsorship he can take a greater percentage of dividends than his stake is worth.

It's basically challenging him to put is money where his mouth is and, in exchange for the majority of profit generated, take the majority of the risk personally rather than putting it on the club. Which itself can, along with a revitalised Society, focus on the local engagement.

The usual caveats of simplicity apply and no doubt the lawyers will have a field day haggling over numbers but an investor focused on the off field stuff definitely has the possibility of producing an 'everyone's a winner' scenario...we should be much more interested in exploring that than anyone who intends to directly influence events on the pitch imho.

Edited by Handsome_Devil

On the whole I thought we played pretty well, but absolutely shat it again. The subs killed us. Butcher offers nothing, floats about marking nobody, getting booked and shouting at his team mates for his mistakes. Get tae f**k. 

8 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I've little against us losing like that, annoying as it is...we played well and took our chance when Celtic were poor, they upped it and won deservedly. Being so close makes it a pisser but still...play like that and we'll be fine.

Losing to Celtic is to be expected. Losing after being a goal up at half time isn't even that surprising. But having a point at 90 minutes but still contriving to lose by 2 fucking goals sums this mob up. 

O'Donnell and Shaw both coming on was the end times. Took out Any Attacking plays we had and we all know we can't defend simple balls.

Why do we then basically invite even more pressure????

Edited by Phillips455