Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

4 minutes ago, camer0n_mcd said:

Chris Cadden returned from injury on Saturday, he came off of the bench to get 6 minutes.

Cheers for sharing, I missed that.

I’ll get my voodoo doll out and insert another needle.

Speaking of injuries, the wee guy that tried to tackle Casey and hurt himself is apparently back in training after *checks notes* a lengthy zero weeks out. 

Almost like they were trying to deflect eh? 

33 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Can I just shock you? I like this Motherwell team.

Quite the turnaround in a few months (in general rather than you in particular).

It occurs a pattern is kind of emerging...the first Motherwell team I hated in a while was the rag-tag bunch at the end of Robinson era. But they eventually cruised to mid table safety and came within a penalty shootout of an epic comeback to reach the cup semis. We were similarly loathsome under Hammell (where the Spittal-Goss combo in the middle rightly took stick) and eventually were fine. This season people were hating the team as recently as a few weeks ago in Greenock...yet we're fine.

It's almost as if keeping calm and doing nothing is better than panicking, sticking better than twisting etc (with the caveat nobody has chucked it).

So while I'm not yet completely sold on new deals for everyone (and yes, I know not literally everyone is meant), in the Ibrox afterglow I'm coming round to it more...keep as many pieces in place and build from it. We know many alternatives are unlikely to be better.

Edited by Handsome_Devil

30 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

Speaking of injuries, the wee guy that tried to tackle Casey and hurt himself is apparently back in training after *checks notes* a lengthy zero weeks out. 

Almost like they were trying to deflect eh? 

Think he got diagnosed with being a shitebag. Currently there is no cure. 

I also love the beginings of the Conference league. Seeing grooups of mid table Hungarian and Czech teams is fun.
There is still too much of a drop out from the other competitions. Roma and West Ham being the previous winners.

Ruins it a wee bit. 

25 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I also love the beginings of the Conference league. Seeing grooups of mid table Hungarian and Czech teams is fun.
There is still too much of a drop out from the other competitions. Roma and West Ham being the previous winners.

Ruins it a wee bit. 

UEFA (Sponsored by the making the rich clubs richer "for all your corrupt disparity needs")

On 26/02/2024 at 12:14, MurrayWell said:

If ever there was an image that sums up our defending this season...

Screenshot_20240226_121101_X.jpg.12e340f5520e303db396dddd7775bac4.jpg

Quite amazing that a couple of weeks later that same defence only conceded a penalty at Ibrox. 

This season has been bonkers. 

9 minutes ago, Blink182 said:

Quite amazing that a couple of weeks later that same defence only conceded a penalty at Ibrox. 

This season has been bonkers. 

I dunno, Justin Amaluzor coming back from being in the wilderness, getting a full second half and drawing 2-2 is up there in one of the most the bonkers things I've ever seen in C&A.

5 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

Going to sound like I'm blaming him here... but Butcher didn't play and did against Celtic 😬

There's merit to this observation though. Butcher was a huge part in our turnaround last season and really brought the levels of our defence up. Since he came back from that long term injury he has looked miles off it. I'm not suggesting he's to blame last weekend entirely but he certainly had a stinker.

Actually on a longer train of thought here. We only made 2 subs at the weekend there instead of 5 the previous Sunday. We all noted that instead of making like-for-like changes Kettlewell rejigged the entire back line to try and fit folk in which threw everything out of kilter. Not to make any assumptions here but perhaps Kettlewell's learned that moving your entire defence around in the last 10 minutes is a stupid idea.

Edited by well fan for life

Rangers missed a bunch of sitters, including 2 headers from crosses and a couple of easy balls over the top. We still put in a good defensive performance, but I wouldn't say it was any better than celtic, where Kelly just fell back on his arse because someone scared an easy goal that wasn't anywhere close to being his fault.

40 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Actually on a longer train of thought here. We only made 2 subs at the weekend there instead of 5 the previous Sunday. We all noted that instead of making like-for-like changes Kettlewell rejigged the entire back line to try and fit folk in which threw everything out of kilter. Not to make any assumptions here but perhaps Kettlewell's learned that moving your entire defence around in the last 10 minutes is a stupid idea.

Aye that's a fair point. I thought Butcher was terrible against Celtic but, as has been discussed, using as many subs as possible just because you can may not have helped either. 

No point dwelling too much on a defeat to Celtic, we've improved massively in recent weeks, topping it off with the outstanding performance on Saturday, and Kettlewell deserves praise for that. 

37 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

No point dwelling too much on a defeat to Celtic, we've improved massively in recent weeks, topping it off with the outstanding performance on Saturday, and Kettlewell deserves praise for that. 

I think the only real blot on the landscape since Dingwall is the Morton game (which is still a sickener) - we've been competitive in every other game and defeats at Tynecastle and at home to Celtic are fine in the context of the overall run.

7 minutes ago, Swello said:

I think the only real blot on the landscape since Dingwall is the Morton game (which is still a sickener) - we've been competitive in every other game and defeats at Tynecastle and at home to Celtic are fine in the context of the overall run.

Here's the league table up to (and including) the County game vs the results since:

Screenshot2024-03-06at16_47_00.thumb.png.a2edbfbd359acdf08b95ce86478d73da.png
Screenshot2024-03-06at16_39_17.thumb.png.62c0f93681b9bfd38567c83d6ed82d66.png

Our only league defeats since County have been from Rangers (h), Hearts (a) and Celtic (h):

Screenshot2024-03-06at16_45_31.thumb.png.c0cfad3f4f9afbc982ca6ed16289b8c4.png