Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 minute ago, Vietnam91 said:

If a football player can't play football till say November of December due to an injury then to give them a years contract to get 6 months out them could very well be justified. What's the alternative for him?

I mean in every other aspect of footballers careers their wages are often linked to contribution. Do you think SOD's will have been higher this summer when everyone considers him to be used a lot less than his last negotiation 2 years ago?

However, the official website seems to be driving the timeline so lets see.

No one knows the timescale of Slatterys return to be fair, I actually don't know what the club will have offered SOD but I suspect it will be what the club think he's worth and what he's willing to accept with I assume some negotiation to get to that point. I also have zero idea what our players are paid because the figures seem to come from more than one website with some quite considerable variation in some of the figures quoted.

Personally I think the fact that Motherwell support players through times like this is what makes the club decent and I'm not surprised they've offered Slattery a new contract. 

51 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

Must have been upset when Pape Souaré got injured on our watch and wasn't extended on the same wage in January then.

Im not party to why Motherwell did or didn't renew his contract after the ankle injury. I assume that if he had been contracted to the season end he would have been allowed to see out the contract. 

However. He made three appearances that season and his  contract might have been terminated in the January anyway and not renewed - whereas Slattery has made almost 80 appearances for Motherwell over a three year spell and potentially he might have been the player looking to move on after his three year contract had expired had he not had that knee issue.

And given that Souaré hasn't played elsewhere since he left us I am sorry for anyone who suffers a significant injury that impacts their ability to play football. 

One of the few things Hammell actually got right was us moving away from keeping folk on the wage bill who don't contribute, Scott Fox was an example of that. Hammell moved him on quickly and was vocal about us not keeping that trend or being a rehab facility. 

Kettlewell has said the same and, as we all know, is a bit of a master of mutualling folk.

Slattery has been offered a deal because he's a good player, who has contributed in each of the three years he's been with the club. I don't think it's a sympathy or a "we need to keep him around for his rehabilitation" move, I think the club want to hang on to a good player, when he's on his game there is no denying he's a very good option at this level. 

2 hours ago, Wellin said:

Rest of the season is what was said when he was injured. Tbh. I don't think we should necessarily downgrade someone's wage just because they've had an injury while still contracted to us. 

There are obvious perks to being a footballer but downsides too occasionally...

SOD will have been offered less than his previous wage because we signed him as a 20-something Scotland international, he's now a 30-something former Scotland international. He simply isn't worth what he was when we signed him last time. When his contract expires, his earnings will zero so we and everyone else can offer what we think he's worth now and he makes his decision.

The same applies to Slattery. From memory we signed him for a decent fee by our standards, from an EPL team, with the obvious hope he'd be a top player for us and probably make a profit. He's certainly had good games but it's fair to say he's not met expectations...on top of that there's now the issue that he may never be the same as he was. Like SOD, his wage will soon be zero and he can either take what we offer or choose to seek more elsewhere...but like SOD, circumstances mean he's just not worth what he was when he signed his last deal and our offer will definitely reflect that.

1 hour ago, MurrayWell said:

One of the few things Hammell actually got right was us moving away from keeping folk on the wage bill who don't contribute, Scott Fox was an example of that. Hammell moved him on quickly and was vocal about us not keeping that trend or being a rehab facility. 

Kettlewell has said the same and, as we all know, is a bit of a master of mutualling folk.

Slattery has been offered a deal because he's a good player, who has contributed in each of the three years he's been with the club. I don't think it's a sympathy or a "we need to keep him around for his rehabilitation" move, I think the club want to hang on to a good player, when he's on his game there is no denying he's a very good option at this level. 

I think Slattery is a very good player. Always have done. 

48 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Remember when we gave Charles Dunne one of those rehab contracts and once he was fit again he tried to kill our best player?

Tbf I don't think we even offered him a contract. We "invited" him to pre-season, which on reflection still seems hilariously snide.

Screenshot2024-06-02at17_20_16.thumb.png.7b5769420cff496f077154ac42bc8d47.png

https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2021/05/24/end-of-2020-21-squad-update/

That was when St Mirren swooped in and offered him a wedge and the security of a two year deal which IIRC Alexander basically said he'd have been daft to turn down.

Screenshot2024-06-02at17_22_26.thumb.png.e10c9503383c0dbeb9f8670c868646f4.png

https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2021/06/02/charles-dunne-departs-for-st-mirren/

2 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Remember when we gave Charles Dunne one of those rehab contracts and once he was fit again he tried to kill our best player?

🤣

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Tbf I don't think we even offered him a contract. We "invited" him to pre-season, which on reflection still seems hilariously snide.

Screenshot2024-06-02at17_20_16.thumb.png.7b5769420cff496f077154ac42bc8d47.png

https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2021/05/24/end-of-2020-21-squad-update/

That was when St Mirren swooped in and offered him a wedge and the security of a two year deal which IIRC Alexander basically said he'd have been daft to turn down.

Screenshot2024-06-02at17_22_26.thumb.png.e10c9503383c0dbeb9f8670c868646f4.png

https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2021/06/02/charles-dunne-departs-for-st-mirren/

Whilst obviously correct for that summer (2021) I think we had already given him two six month contracts throughout his injury the previous season (20/21) which I don’t think he made an appearance in? 

20 minutes ago, Reidy said:

Whilst obviously correct for that summer (2021) I think we had already given him two six month contracts throughout his injury the previous season (20/21) which I don’t think he made an appearance in? 

Aye, that's correct. 2x 6 month deals in the 20/21 Covid season.

https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2020/06/27/charles-dunne-agrees-new-deal/

https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2021/02/01/charles-dunne-signs-new-motherwell-deal/

3 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Don't recall his attack on Theo Bair, but he's some nerve to try that after what he did to Mika Biereth...

3 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I reckon they will be 66% (if not 100%) re-signings

There's Burns just followed up saying Johnny Koutroumbis is one of them. So I'll go for Slattery and SODs to be the others. 

4 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I reckon they will be 66% (if not 100%) re-signings

Aye, I think at least one will be for sure.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

There's Burns just followed up saying Johnny Koutroumbis is one of them. So I'll go for Slattery and SODs to be the others. 

Slattery has already been announced if unofficially and SOD has apparently agreed terms last week. So you might be right 

Just checked his tweet and he said Johnny will be one. Which doesn't really make it much clearer 

Edited by Wellin

Just now, MurrayWell said:

Aye, I don't think SOD and Slattery staying will be too much of a surprise, based on recent chat, but canny assume until things are officially confirmed eh?

Slats is on the website so looks like it and theres been speculation that SOD has signed on again.