Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

8 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Must have just felt like 6 days

There's that but there was someone else we signed whose registration took ages. It just wasn't Moult (and it wasn't in that window).

I think it may have been Butcher after the January window closed. He was announced on the 4th February with the window having closed on the 31st January.

23 minutes ago, Ill Ray said:

Seen an article about the bold Sieb Dijkstra on the Herald saying he enjoyed his time at Motherwell. It got me thinking we need to get the big Ox to swing from the bar can’t remember a goalie doing that since Randolph. 

Big Connor Ripley did it a few times as well I think.

17 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

There's that but there was someone else we signed whose registration took ages. It just wasn't Moult (and it wasn't in that window).

I think it may have been Butcher after the January window closed. He was announced on the 4th February with the window having closed on the 31st January.

I'm probably getting confused then. My heed is pickled. 

6 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I think Vale II might be the most beige signing we've made in ages, there's a limited logic to it but when we've seen what he's like and have 200 other folk already, it's hard to be beyond 'alright'.

I need a squad depth chart I think. I'm passed the point of comprehension. 

6 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

5 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

I thought Jack Vale was very decent for us last season. More than happy with that. 

Aye, I'm not saying he's shite by any means and last May I was actually pretty convinced he'd return - I'm just less convinced of how much it's worth now.

I suppose if you're playing our system and want high tempo, you're planning to change at least four if not five of the seven starters who aren't GK or the back three. So that's using 11-12 of these guys every single week, you want a bit of variety ofc plus cover for injuries etc and it's easy to see how a modern manager would expect a squad which looks comical compared to the old days.

Also, I know it's not an exactly fair comparison but if I were Dylan Wells, I'd be wondering just where my pathway is if we're signing so many solid but unspectaculars above me in the pecking order.

If Vale is used in the 10(ish) role he played last season then it's a decent signing and should allow Miller to play in his proper position if he has been brought in with the view to use him as a striker then it's a strange signing. As for Wells I suspect he'll get a league 1/championship loan with the view to bring him into the 1st team next year.

9 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Tbh, it's far easier to get your head round when you remove the injured players and you work on the assumption that the likes of Ferrie and Wells will be getting Development loans (tbf, Kettlewell has as good as said that's happening albeit he hasn't named names).

lineup.png.08fc56b6058019d5ac867e04c9a3f3f5.png

Injured:

• Blaney
  • Koutroumbis
  • Slattery
  • Paton
  • Callachan
  • Stamatelopolous
  • Nicholson

If I was being greedy I'd still take another #9 as an alternative to Robinson and a centre mid to offer some cover there.

40 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Also, I know it's not an exactly fair comparison but if I were Dylan Wells, I'd be wondering just where my pathway is if we're signing so many solid but unspectaculars above me in the pecking order.

His pathway will be to go out on loan. I have no issues with that. It is not as if the Manager has not given him game time. He has started a couple of games and been a sub in a couple of others.

And before anyone jumps to conclusions I am writing him off. I would say he did OK but did not look like a 1st team player which given his age and experience is little surprise. 

Ewan Wilson on the other hand. Same opportunities but has performed better and has rightly kept his place. 

31 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

If I was being greedy I'd still take another #9 as an alternative to Robinson and a centre mid to offer some cover there.

See, I'd sort of assumed this was what Watt was earmarked for but in both his sub appearances he's definitely been used as one of those wide forwards/dual #10s. That's obviously where he's tended to play throughout his career (except under Alexander) and done absolutely fine but given the job Kettlewell did with KVV/Mika/Bair and the best spell of Watt's career coming as Motherwell's main striker I'd hoped we'd at least try it in the period that Stamatapolous is out.

3 minutes ago, welldaft said:

His pathway will be to go out on loan. I have no issues with that. It is not as if the Manager has not given him game time. He has started a couple of games and been a sub in a couple of others.

And before anyone jumps to conclusions I am writing him off. I would say he did OK but did not look like a 1st team player which given his age and experience is little surprise. 

Ewan Wilson on the other hand. Same opportunities but has performed better and has rightly kept his place. 

Wilson had already been out on loan and made 30ish senior appearances before this season too which helped him massively. I think a loan can only benefit Wells. Main thing for guys that age is game time and he wont get enough of that at Fir park this season.