Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

So Hammell is apparently out with a torn hamstring. That'll be that then. Suppose it's as well the window is still open when that's happened.

Going by Robinson's post-match comments and the fact we offered a deal to Dembele we were clearly still in for a centre half but if we can actually just sort out a left back then that would be lovely, thanks.

So Hammell is apparently out with a torn hamstring. That'll be that then. Suppose it's as well the window is still open when that's happened.
Going by Robinson's post-match comments and the fact we offered a deal to Dembele we were clearly still in for a centre half but if we can actually just sort out a left back then that would be lovely, thanks.

Were you lads planning on going into the new season with Hammell as your first choice LB again this season? He's been done for about 5 year.

28 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Were you lads planning on going into the new season with Hammell as your first choice LB again this season? He's been done for about 5 year.

As Del says above, Dunne's likely to be first choice left back but by his own admission he sees himself as more of a centre back. His pace seems to have meant previous managers just stuck him at left back and told him to bomb up and down the flank so he's become a left back through circumstance.

We've played 3 at the back quite a bit during pre-season and also at the tail end of last season with Hammell on the left side of the 3 and he did well in that position as despite him having zero pace he's still good on the ball. The upshot of that is that we've had Elliot Frear playing as a wing back who's made a decent fist of things but it's clear it's not his position.

We've been after another centre half all summer. We offered a deal to Bira Dembele who was on trial with us but he opted to go back to France and as yet no one else has come in. With that in mind we'd probably bring another centre half in with Dunne being first choice and viewed Hammell as cover but the way things stand Hammell is the only natural left back in the first team IMO. Dunne's a centre half who plays left back and Frear's a winger, end of story.

Edited by capt_oats

Sparra & Busta are joined by Joe McKelvie filling in for Jay this week and Motherwell assistant manager Keith Lasley to look back on Motherwell’s final two Betfred League Cup fixtures and the draw for the last 16. Also a look at the first fixture of the new Scottish Premiership season, Keith’s reaction to Carl McHugh replacing him as club captain, Louis Moult, the Fir Park Open Day, welcoming Syrian guests to Fir Park and much, much more.

http://www.mfc1886.com/mfc-podcast-2017-18-episode-3/

On 7/20/2017 at 22:28, capt_oats said:

So...I was having a look at the latest #content posted by the club on YouTube and noticed an unfamiliar face.
Do we have another trialist in then? Who's this chap?

From_The_Training_Ground.thumb.png.23adeb4b1221b119a6fb788be8411b4b.png

Just coming back to this, is it possibly Ellis Plummer?

Ellis+Plummer+Carlisle+United+v+St+Mirre

1 minute ago, thisGRAEME said:

I have not, but some rumbling on Steelmen and some twitter snooping reminded me of your Columbo-ing of the pre-season videos. From memory, he was okay, wasn't he?

Aye, it seems to have just become a thing on Twitter, quite a few mentions of him.

About two minutes before you posted this story just went up, it's by Pete O'Rourke who normally writes stuff for HITC which was why I assumed that was the source of the story, apparently not though it's some other site.

http://www.footballinsider247.com/new-arrival-ahead-rangers-clash-motherwell/

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

Aye, it seems to have just become a thing on Twitter, quite a few mentions of him.

About two minutes before you posted this story just went up, it's by Pete O'Rourke who normally writes stuff for HITC which was why I assumed that was the source of the story, apparently not though it's some other site.

http://www.footballinsider247.com/new-arrival-ahead-rangers-clash-motherwell/

If this is accurate:

The youngster, who can play as a central defender or at left full-back

Then that's absolutely fine for me. Hammell's leg falling off leaves us, once again, very light there, so get him in.

If it's the boy I'm thinking of, did he not have a storming game at Fir Park on the opening day of the season for St Mirren a few years back? 

If memory serves me right and it is him, I'm sure he was meant to be fairly decent in his first few games but allegedly feigned an injury to cut his loan spell short and head back to Manchester.

Just now, Casagolda said:

If it's the boy I'm thinking of, did he not have a storming game at Fir Park on the opening day of the season for St Mirren a few years back? 

If memory serves me right and it is him, I'm sure he was meant to be fairly decent in his first few games but allegedly feigned an injury to cut his loan spell short and head back to Manchester.

Him and Mahrez not fancying Paisley. He's in good company I suppose.

Based on nothing more than a quick google image search then there's a more than passing resemblance to the guy in the screenshots.

p104533.png

Apparently he was on trial at Chesterfield in EFL League 1.

http://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/sport/football/chesterfield-fc/column-are-the-final-pieces-of-the-puzzle-already-in-the-building-or-is-it-rabbit-from-a-hat-time-1-8670034

Trialist Ellis Plummer had the look of a solid, dependable left-back on Tuesday night and perhaps a short-term deal would provide cover for Binnom-Williams and keep the ex Manchester City man hungry to earn a longer stay.

Edit to add: Seems like he was on trial with McCall at Bradford as well. 

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/sport/sportbcfc/15399571.Avenue_enjoy_Bradford_bragging_rights_against_Bantams_after_game_of_two_halves/

City fielded just the one guest in left back Ellis Plummer. The 22-year-old, released at the end of last season by Manchester City, had been training with the Bantams and played the first half.

But it is not an area where McCall is looking and they parted their ways after the game.

Edited by capt_oats