Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

4 hours ago, Swello said:

The only circumstance that I could see us blocking such a move would be where we have a form crash and end up back in the relegation mix and we need Moult's goals to survive again (but you'd have to hope that we aren't in that boat this season)....

We've come on leaps and bounds this season but our fixture list between now and January is horrible and a dip in form can't be ruled out. Away to Aberdeen, away to Hearts, away to Rangers, home and away to Celtic all before the end of 2017 and it'll be a tough ask to pick up points from that set of fixtures.

I think if the money is right then Moult will be sold regardless whenever the offer comes in to be honest.

To be fair we’re in a far better position as a team/squad to absorb the loss of Moult this January than we were this time last year. 

In fact I’d say Moult’s performances in the League Cup quarter/semi finals have probably papered over what has been some rather patchy performances from him in the league so far.  If you take away a couple of stat padding penalties at the start of the season, he’s got the same number of league goals from open play as Bowman and only 1 more than the likes of Rose, Tanner and Hartley this season. He hasn’t actually scored in the league since his double at Easter Road and only 1 of our 6 league wins this season has involved a Louis Moult goal from open play.

Not to diminish Moult or his overall contribution of course, he’s an excellent player and we wouldn’t be in a League cup final without him but the whole one man team thing- generally peddled by folk who’ve probably only seen us play this season against Aberdeen/Rangers in the cup- is extremely tiresome. 

I even heard a pundit the other day, can’t mind who, talk about Motherwell’s familiar defensive frailties. I mean, since that admittedly shambolic display in Perth at the start of the season we’ve only conceded 6 goals in the 11 games that have followed and kept 6 clean sheets in that time.

That is what our success has been built around this season - the organisation, discipline and work  rate of the team, not the individual performances of one man. Whilst losing Moult in January would obviously be a blow, I’d be astonished if we didn’t still have enough about us this season to comfortably keep our heads above water.

In stark contrast to last year where losing Moult in January would have resulted in almost certain relegation.

Edited by Casagolda

Couldn't agree more with all of that. With the exception of the chaotic game in Perth, no-one has given us a tanking (we've still to play Celtic though) and that is the single biggest difference in us this season. For the last couple of years, it's felt at times like we had to score 2 to get a point given the frailty of our defence. Now, if we score once there's a great chance we'll take something from the game and that is the key to success in our league. In the circumstances where you don't lose many goals, the pressure to have a roy of the rovers type striker that drags you out of trouble in every game - as Moult has consistently done for us - is far less.

If Moult goes in January, he'll be up there with the best strikers I've seen at 'Well (although not at Arnott & Coyne levels of man-love from me) and I'd hope we'd take the opportunity to use some of the cash to test the resolve of another (lower division English) club who have their star man in the last 6 months of his contract.

I think he'll go, tbh.

If he goes in January, we get the opportunity to get the money in, which really is the important thing just now, but perhaps more importantly, allows us to insert another sell-on clause.

The club seems to have recognised that in reality; we're not going to get big fees. Lets get as big as we can, of course, but fees between English clubs are always going to dwarf them. As such, get the sell-ons in, because we reckon they can go higher in the game.

+1 on Casagolda's post as well.

Looking at Robinson's record since he replaced McGhee, the St Johnstone game is still the only fixture where we've lost by more than 1 goal. In his 30 games we've only failed to score in 5 of them (2 of which have been against Aberdeen).

In the past 10 seasons we've had 4 where we've finished with a positive goal difference yet had 7 top 6 finishes so it puts into context what Robinson's actually doing on the defensive side of our game at the moment:

16/17 (9th): -23
15/16 (5th): -16
14/15 (11th): -25
13/14 (2nd): +4
12/13 (2nd): +16
11/12 (3rd): +5
10/11 (6th): -20
09/10 (5th): -2
08/09 (7th): -5
07/08 (3rd): +4

It was interesting listening to McFadden talk about Moult on Sportsound a few weeks ago with him highlighting just how much he's improved his game. In his first season he was scoring his goals pretty much exclusively from inside 12 yards and was easily getting brushed off the ball when he was trying to hold it up now he's got a lot more to his game. It's a testament to the player and the coaching staff (including guys like Andy Boles as well as McGhee and even Skippy) the extent to which he's improved, especially given he started as back-up to Wes Fletcher.

Assuming we're relatively clear of the relegation spots come January then an offer from a Championship side allows us to pay off a bit of the money owed to Hutchison and Boyle and as thisGRAEME rightly points out lets up get a clause in his contract that allows the opportunity to increase our profit further down the line. A nominal amount to let him move in January would make sense, assuming he's heading to the right club.

Sparra, Busta and Jay look back on the meetings with Dundee and Hibernian, give further reaction on the fall-out from the Betfred League Cup semi-final victory, discuss a new deal for assistant boss Keith Lasley, preview the trip to Ross County and more.

http://www.mfc1886.com/mfc-podcast-2017-18-episode-15/

We're definitely a lot more defensively organised which allows Moult to be a match winner. There was a point last season when Moult could have scored a hat trick every week and we still wouldn't have won.

He's definitely gone, though. If he goes in January it'll be for buttons, but at least we'd get a sell on. 

Feel a bit sorry for The Plum[emoji767] actually - of everyone that signed, he's really never been quoted for a 1st team game (probably as Hammy hasn't really been injured)...

I’ve seen him a couple of times for the 20s and he’s generally looked pretty solid (acknowledging it’s only at 20s level). He’s quick, mobile and reads the game well even if he’s small for a centre back.

Given the timing of his signing (while Hammell was injured) and the fact he was a trialist I’d imagine he’d have been made aware he might have to bide his time. Id be interested to see how he did if he got a start in an appropriate game though.

On 10/31/2017 at 09:11, Casagolda said:

To be fair we’re in a far better position as a team/squad to absorb the loss of Moult this January than we were this time last year. 

In fact I’d say Moult’s performances in the League Cup quarter/semi finals have probably papered over what has been some rather patchy performances from him in the league so far.  If you take away a couple of stat padding penalties at the start of the season, he’s got the same number of league goals from open play as Bowman and only 1 more than the likes of Rose, Tanner and Hartley this season. He hasn’t actually scored in the league since his double at Easter Road and only 1 of our 6 league wins this season has involved a Louis Moult goal from open play.

Not to diminish Moult or his overall contribution of course, he’s an excellent player and we wouldn’t be in a League cup final without him but the whole one man team thing- generally peddled by folk who’ve probably only seen us play this season against Aberdeen/Rangers in the cup- is extremely tiresome. 

I even heard a pundit the other day, can’t mind who, talk about Motherwell’s familiar defensive frailties. I mean, since that admittedly shambolic display in Perth at the start of the season we’ve only conceded 6 goals in the 11 games that have followed and kept 6 clean sheets in that time.

That is what our success has been built around this season - the organisation, discipline and work  rate of the team, not the individual performances of one man. Whilst losing Moult in January would obviously be a blow, I’d be astonished if we didn’t still have enough about us this season to comfortably keep our heads above water.

In stark contrast to last year where losing Moult in January would have resulted in almost certain relegation.

This article is somewhat timely: https://thebackpassrule.com/2017/11/02/team-effort-the-reason-for-motherwells-fast-start/