Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I think the main concern is that we have 14 games left overall - 9 to the split, including 2 against OF. We certainly can't afford to write off any of the upcoming games and I think we are not far from the point that any change in manager will have limited impact for this season. If we are prepared to wait another month (say) to see how it goes and let the new players bed in - I think the time it would take for a new manager to come in and make the changes he needs to make would have us out of time.

3 hours ago, Desp said:

I just can't see Hammell being sacked this week, even if the worst happens on Saturday.  Also, the chat of getting papped out the cup by Raith Rovers being a "win", whatever your thoughts on the current manager's ability, is shite behaviour. 

I think the absolute earliest he'll get sacked is after Kilmarnock away (if we fail to win any of them).  You're not going to let him sign half a dozen players in the last few days of January and then sack him after the 2nd game of having them.  He'll five or six, minimum.  Who knows, he might turn it around with the new players up to speed.  Or maybe the board just can't afford to sack him if we're also still paying off GA. 

You are probably right on both counts. Anyone wishing us to lose in the cup just so Hammell gets his P45 is not a good look.

But I still maintain (perhaps incorrectly) that the results and performances have moved beyond the possibility of him have a few games for players to bed in. If we do that and we lose those games then Relegation becomes an odds on certainty, which based on fixtures left to play is not a given yet ! We are 1 of 4 teams in the fight. Lose the next few games and it may well become 1 in 2. I much prefer odds of 1 in 4.

I am sure the Board will take a lot into account before reaching a decision :

1. Results and Performances = FAIL

2. Team and squad harmony and Manager backing = WHO really knows what the players think. Some rumours of discontent. 

3. What Hammell is saying to the Board about turning things around. Assuming he has been asked and he sure as f*ck should be = who knows.

4. The costs of paying off Hammell and Kerr v possibility of relegation = the latter would dwarf the former = FAIL.

In my opinion 1 and 4 means he should go now. 2 and 3 may well be enough to keep him in a job but it is a risk as the omens are not good based on recent performances. 

Edited by welldaft

50 minutes ago, Swello said:

I think the main concern is that we have 14 games left overall - 9 to the split, including 2 against OF. We certainly can't afford to write off any of the upcoming games and I think we are not far from the point that any change in manager will have limited impact for this season. If we are prepared to wait another month (say) to see how it goes and let the new players bed in - I think the time it would take for a new manager to come in and make the changes he needs to make would have us out of time.

The other thing is that the longer we wait the less appealing the job becomes. As it stands with 14 games to go and only 1 point off safety (with a game in hand) I can imagine potential candidates would look at that and think "Yeah, that's doable".

The more that window closes the more shallow the pool of potentials becomes. We saw how thin on the ground candidates were when McGhee was launched and we ended up with Robinson that was end of February 2017 (actually was the chat not the Coyle was intended as the original replacement but it fell down because of his severance terms with Blackburn?).

The league looked like this:

1754324838_Screenshot2023-02-06at17_42_31.thumb.png.0e03e41bdc89d7c7ebc92d9ffd370a2a.png

It's a fine balance to judge. I mean, he won't be but if he was as it stands...1 league win in 15 etc I don't think Hammell could have too many complaints if he was emptied regardless of having just signed a bunch of players.

Kind of echoing a post from @thisGRAEME a few pages back but there's definitely a point at which the threat of actual relegation supersedes the optics of bumping a manager having signed off on 9 new players and him being a club legend.

We (Aberdeen) have been absolute muck for most of the season, particularly post World Cup.

But from what I saw on Saturday, when it was a comfortable victory, I can’t see ‘Well finishing out with the bottom two places. 

Maybe changing manager might help, as Hammell does seem out his depth. 
Is his “club legend” status giving him more time?

If it was someone with no affiliation to Motherwell, would he not have been sacked before now ? 

5 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

The more that window closes the more shallow the pool of potentials becomes. We saw how thin on the ground candidates were when McGhee was launched and we ended up with Robinson that was end of February 2017 (actually was the chat not the Coyle was intended as the original replacement but it fell down because of his severance terms with Blackburn?).

Not sure the actual reason, think it was "cheap option" to go for Robbo instead of Coyle acording to our fan base. County ended up with Coyle instead and again according to our fan base meant we were doomed and County were safe.  In the end, County got relegated and we didn't.

Just now, Thenorthernlight said:

Maybe changing manager might help, as Hammell does seem out his depth. 
Is his “club legend” status giving him more time?

If it was someone with no affiliation to Motherwell, would he not have been sacked before now ? 

If he was someone with no affiliation to Motherwell he wouldn't have been given the job in the first place.

28 minutes ago, Antiochas III said:

Not sure the actual reason, think it was "cheap option" to go for Robbo instead of Coyle acording to our fan base. County ended up with Coyle instead and again according to our fan base meant we were doomed and County were safe.  In the end, County got relegated and we didn't.

Coyle got the County job the following season. I always took it that whatever moratorium was in place with his prior contract had lapsed by that point.

That was Robinson's first full season in charge. The 2 cup finals one when we were fairly comfortable bar that run in December when we had half our team out injured.

Edited by capt_oats

14 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

The idea that a manager is going to sit there and accept help is crazy. 

I mean, I had been advocating the idea that Hammell could have done himself a favour ages ago and taken on additional staff to lean on and handle the coaching. Similar to what we did with Robinson coming back in McGhee's final days.

Going by @wellboy1991's reporting over the weekend that seemed to confirm my suspicions that we might be a fucking shambles in that respect it seems like it might have been a good idea.

That ship seems like it has long since sailed though and tbh it sounds like Hammell doesn't see any issues with him and Kerr as the coaching set up. So that'll be that.