Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Carson and Kipre for me.

While Campbell has had an impressive first full season he’s only started about half our games so far this season. When you compare that to someone like Kipre, who had less first team experience than Campbell before this season, who’s been equally impressive and also a virtual ever present, I think he should just shade it purely based on his consistency over a longer period.

Carson’s the easy choice for POTY- while other’s have been excellent in spells this season, he’s been consistently excellent throughout. Thank f**k after years of neglect from McCall, Baraclough and McGhee we finally have a manager that recognises that when building a team, a decent keeper should be a priority and not an afterthought. 

28 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Carson and Kipre for me.

While Campbell has had an impressive first full season he’s only started about half our games so far this season. When you compare that to someone like Kipre, who had less first team experience than Campbell before this season, who’s been equally impressive and also a virtual ever present, I think he should just shade it purely based on his consistency over a longer period.

Carson’s the easy choice for POTY- while other’s have been excellent in spells this season, he’s been consistently excellent throughout. Thank f**k after years of neglect from McCall, Baraclough and McGhee we finally have a manager that recognises that when building a team, a decent keeper should be a priority and not an afterthought. 

I would agree with pretty much all of that. 

It was clear Robinson wanted to get a proper keeper after some of the absolute trash we've watched. I mean we gave Samson the gloves with the decision seemingly being "well you've been here for a while so have a go".

Carson & Kipre got my votes too. 

3 hours ago, Casagolda said:

Thank f**k after years of neglect from McCall, Baraclough and McGhee we finally have a manager that recognises that when building a team, a decent keeper should be a priority and not an afterthought. 

This. So many times, this.

Well I made a bit of an arse of that. Putting in your personal details and the last question is "Who is your favourite player".

Didn't realise that was the actual vote! So it turns out Curtis Main has my vote for player of the year, despite only being here 10 minutes. Sorry Trev.

3 hours ago, well fan for life said:

It was clear Robinson wanted to get a proper keeper after some of the absolute trash we've watched. I mean we gave Samson the gloves with the decision seemingly being "well you've been here for a while so have a go".

I tend not to get particularly angry about fitba' stuff but the way we just handed Samson the gloves was enough to make me rage: "Here you go Sammy, cheers for sticking around pal. You can get a shot."

On the keeper front, it just occurred to me that for all Robinson's taken a kicking for his time at Oldham from sections of the support he had Ripley on a pretty remarkable run of clean sheets. Just counting them there, in the league he had 8 clean sheets in Robinson's 24 games. A third of their games without conceding. He ended up equalling a club record 18, the most in League 1 apparently.

If his standard policy going forward is "have a good goalkeeper" then I'm fully on board with that.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, Al B said:

Well I made a bit of an arse of that. Putting in your personal details and the last question is "Who is your favourite player".

Didn't realise that was the actual vote! So it turns out Curtis Main has my vote for player of the year, despite only being here 10 minutes. Sorry Trev.

Yep - it was a shite way to phrase it. I spent ages looking for the "Dougie Arnott" tick box.....

Fir Park looks in great nick :thumsup2

As long as there are no issues with the surrounding streets, all should be good for the match.

Well done to the Motherwell groundsman and staff.

Just like to echo the words about the condition of the Fir Park pitch. It was exactly this time ten years ago.when we were a national embarrassment due to how bad our park was, I'm sure this very forum had many a contributer astride a high horse (Hiya Captain Sensible...wherever/whoever you are these days :) ) greeting about it on a daily basis at the time. It really is to the absolute credit of everyone involved that we now have a surface which now resembles a bowling green even in the worst of weathers. Time was this type of weather would have seen Fir Park unable to host a match for the best part of a month.

Can I change my vote?

:lol:

Campbell’s performance today, especially when Hearts equalised/were on top and he drove the entire team forward was sensational. Watching him rally those around him when we were up against and lead by example was a real highlight of today for me.

After McHugh’s volley of course, personally feel his contribution has been under appreciated so far this year and it’s good to see him get some well deserved praise after today.  

Also what a signing Main has been- that bit where battered through about 3 Hearts players at the end was incredible, may be a slight exaggeration but I’m pretty sure he actually launched one of them into the East Stand. 

Full credit to Stephen Robinson, the change around in mentality at the club from his short time in charge has been remarkable. We’ve now won 10 out of his 11 cup games in charge and have dumped Aberdeen, Rangers and Hearts out along the way as well as 3 other top flight sides. Still well in with a shout of top six as well.

Incredible turnaround. 

1 hour ago, Casagolda said:
Also what a signing Main has been- that bit where battered through about 3 Hearts players at the end was incredible, may be a slight exaggeration but I’m pretty sure he actually launched one of them into the East Stand. 

No exaggeration (well, a bit of an exaggeration). Watch wee Cochrane fly though...

Edited by capt_oats

^^ lol, and ya dancer.  To me, Campbell has been player of the season.  I think we have uncovered a generational player to stand alongside McCallister, McClair & McFadden.  The first two were two of the most important and influential players in the UK for years.  How they weren't in the top twenty-five Motherwell players of all-time rendered that poll a farce. 

IMO, Campbell has been used as an attack dog too often this season. While he's an outstanding attack dog, the boy is a footballer too. I wouldn't be surprised if Celtic have pencilled him as the Scott Brown replacement.  He should hold out for a premiership team. I've been thinking for a while ( and ya'll are going to go nuts at this idea ), that the club should be looking to loan him to someone like Newcastle. I watched them in the flesh recently and Campbell would stroll it in their team. 

Why loan him? First, the fee involved would be handy. Second, he's on a four year contract. If you want to see Motherwell's first £5 million player, he's going to have to go on loan somewhere first. 

Here's a serious question here.

When did we last lose a Cup game (League or Scottish) against Hearts? 

Am I right in saying it was that 4-0 defeat at a rain soaked Tynecastle over 20 years ago?

Since then we've had the Tony Thomas inspired 3-1 win at Fir Park in 1999, that famous night at Easter Road in 2005, the 1-0 replay win in 2008 after a 2-2 draw just after Phil O'Donnell's death and now today's epic victory.

Dare I say it? But we really have Hearts number in Cup games.