Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

36 minutes ago, santheman said:

According to someone over on SO who seems to be in the know, he's going to work as a sales rep for some foreign company (presumably in the pitch maintenance industry?)

Aye, he's not going to Aberdeen. So I heard.

2 hours ago, santheman said:

According to someone over on SO who seems to be in the know, he's going to work as a sales rep for some foreign company (presumably in the pitch maintenance industry?)

So he'll be pitching pitches. 

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

Aye, he's not going to Aberdeen. So I heard.

Tbf, I just kind of assumed he’d be heading up there. My post was (half) in jest. 

agree that the pitch doesn’t make that much of a difference but it does look amazing. I’m a total sucker for the freshly cut, patterned pitch aerial shots. 

4 hours ago, capt_oats said:

There were heaps of folk wearing these cutting about Primavera last year and I felt very left out.

On the subject of Danny Johnson: 

I feel like I'm a relatively level headed guy but, let me tell you, when folk were applauding him at Dundee away in January 2020 my head rolled clean off my shoulders.

6 hours ago, CoF said:

Danny Johnson is still a mystery to me. Better goals to minutes ratio in the league for us than faddy, porter and Scott McDonald. On par with John Sutton. Almost 1 in 2 everywhere he goes yet he’s kicked about league 2 for a decade and is mostly remembered as being a bit shite up here. 

At the risk of destroying my credentials further, Im gonna say it….

Hide contents

I thought he was decent

It's his attitude that's meant to be fucking chronic.

Johnson was a decent poacher to be fair. 

He had good movement and a was tidy finisher. That’s all he had though. He offered virtually nothing outside the penalty box.

Which was fine when we were playing a 352 and he was paired with a Bowman or a Main, who could do all the dirty work for him. Once we switched to one up front though his days were always going to be numbered.

His performance up front on his own against Ross County in the Scottish Cup was absolutely stinking. He genuinely seemed to have little to no interest in actually touching the ball outside the penalty box.

Moult was fairly similar when he first joined but developed into a far more rounded player during his 2 and a bit years at Fir Park. Where as by contrast, Johnson was seemingly unable or unwilling to develop any other aspects of his game. 

Edited by Casagolda

Well, if Ash Taylor says so...:)

Screenshot2023-07-07at09_20_51.thumb.png.fd66bc74aa1a210ff5df7bddd169b6b6.png

Joking aside, if we've been able to identify someone to come in who has similar strengths to KVV then that's clearly A.Good.Thing.

As @Casagolda said in his original post about Wilkinson, it's not too difficult to see why he'd have caught our attention.

Like, we all recognise we're not getting a 29 goal season out of Wilkinson but it's more about how he fits into the system and it allows Kettlewell to keep going with a shape that worked for him without having to blow everything up and start from scratch.

Edited by capt_oats

11 minutes ago, Swello said:

Joe Lewis has left Aberdeen. I hope you'll all join me in a minutes silence at 11am.

And the semi final. And the 3-0 at pittodrie. There's no doubt more I've forgotten.

I'd love our content team to dig out the Benny Hill theme tune for a compilation of his highlights but I suspect that's not the done thing!

You really wonder how someone who was obviously decent enough in general managed to commit so many grade A howlers against the same team.

Just now, thisGRAEME said:

...Who's our #9 then? Obika?

First I've seen of the new numbering as well, they're neat.

Aye, it looks like Obika claimed the #9 early on when KVV left.

He was wearing it on his shorts in one of the first videos they put up from the Netherlands.

12 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

A bit of clarity on Goss.

Screenshot2023-07-07at14_27_23.thumb.png.e0ac66627155723dbee390606d03a3ed.png

I think Goss - latterly - was being used in the best way and he was consistently decent over his last few months, so it's a shame that he's gone IMO (was fully expecting this though, so no great surprise). 

Goss was a useless kunt for about 70% of his time here. OOC guy playing for a deal (here or elsewhere)? New manager bounce to impress SK? Used "correctly"?

Who knows

f**k him though. Best wishes, see ye later.

He clearly came onto a game and some of the passes he was eventually pinging through/over to MJ in particular were worthy of a much higher level.

But from a two-year deal he was basically missing for way more than half...for whatever reason that is who knows there's no way we should be breaking the bank for him and if he wants to move on we wish him good luck.