Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

51 minutes ago, Desp said:

Why? 

He's clearly a talented player but Kettlewell clearly doesn't fancy him and there's not really a role for him in the way we're setting up at the moment. 

Hopefully he gets something sorted soon. At the point in his career where he needs a proper run of games. 

In no particular order, he's a talented player with fair potential for more, he could probably be developed into a number 10 as backup for Spittal, in the meantime having at least one viable winger for a plan B to 3-5-2 is needed, he'd probably be relatively cheap, he can play on both sides.

I certainly wouldn't break the bank for him but given the squad nature of the 90 minutes these days (swapping literally half the outfielders if desired), never mind the varied needs of the season, I remain bemused SK thought him worthy of being ditched so comprehensively given his Oct-Feb form. 

4 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

In no particular order, he's a talented player with fair potential for more, he could probably be developed into a number 10 as backup for Spittal, in the meantime having at least one viable winger for a plan B to 3-5-2 is needed, he'd probably be relatively cheap, he can play on both sides.

I certainly wouldn't break the bank for him but given the squad nature of the 90 minutes these days (swapping literally half the outfielders if desired), never mind the varied needs of the season, I remain bemused SK thought him worthy of being ditched so comprehensively given his Oct-Feb form. 

Was there not a suggestion that we were obliged to pay Leeds United whenever he played for us? While the shape may have harmed him, I'd suggest that was a much more pressing concern.

I'm not sure how compensation etc. works, but that Leeds don't appear to have offered him a contract, he doesn't end up in that weird Craig Sibbald space of awaiting outgrowing the compensation age, is that right?

1 minute ago, thisGRAEME said:

Was there not a suggestion that we were obliged to pay Leeds United whenever he played for us? While the shape may have harmed him, I'd suggest that was a much more pressing concern.

I'm not sure how compensation etc. works, but that Leeds don't appear to have offered him a contract, he doesn't end up in that weird Craig Sibbald space of awaiting outgrowing the compensation age, is that right?

No idea on the details of the loan... certainly possible, fair screwed him over if so, though us dropping him totally then much more understandable.

Leeds released him so presumably he's free to sign for whomever easily enough.

56 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Is this an actual bit from Dundee fans now btw? :lol:

Screenshot2023-08-10at15_00_57.thumb.png.315c6f09860557fe7a594e4450f663f0.png

I remember this from the time, aye. It was very similar to the McMullan chat. Someone was #ITK and knew he was away to us.

It's quite some time later and he still isn't with us, but maybe next window!

Watching Hibs and Hearts with envy tonight. Hibs putting up a great show in Europe and again really pissing me off at how ill prepared we were last season. 

Seeing the pace Hibs have also gives me some fear for the weekend. Especially out wide. The new striker looks very handy aswell. 

Hibs sadly looked quite decent tonight.

Is it a surprise given they have spent £2m + on transfers this window and we have spent £0. No complaints from me. We don’t have the money But Sunday will be a very difficult game excluding the fact Hibs normally have our number 😢

2 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Is it a surprise given they have spent £2m + on transfers this window and we have spent £0. No complaints from me. We don’t have the money But Sunday will be a very difficult game excluding the fact Hibs normally have our number 😢

Yeah budgets obviously miles apart but actual sharpness and pace they look streets ahead. Boyle up against Souare and SODS is worrying. 

11 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

Watching Hibs and Hearts with envy tonight. Hibs putting up a great show in Europe and again really pissing me off at how ill prepared we were last season. 

Seeing the pace Hibs have also gives me some fear for the weekend. Especially out wide. The new striker looks very handy aswell. 

Alexander thinking 2 pre-season friendlies was (one of which was against an Austrian pub team) enough to prepare for a game against a team that were half way through the season summed him up-Absolutely clueless. 

Hibs looked shaky and suspect at the back in the last European round, and again in the game vs St Mirren. They looked far sharper and assured tonight though, so Sunday will be a big test.

Our back line look to have a calamitous mistake in them every week and Boyle is always a thorn in our side. Hopefully they have a bit of a hangover from tonight, but from where both squads are at the moment I think another point and on to the cup game would be a decent enough outcome. 

8 hours ago, welldaft said:

£2m, really?! I knew they went mental on the Dutch guy but that seems - given the corresponding wages - a massive outlay.

The finances have obviously changed since the 90s arms race among 'the rest' brought chaos but I'm not convinced this is totally healthy either.

12 hours ago, welldaft said:

I mean they also mainly wanted Johnson sacked a mere 24 hours ago, so let's not go daft.

3 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

£2m, really?! I knew they went mental on the Dutch guy but that seems - given the corresponding wages - a massive outlay.

The finances have obviously changed since the 90s arms race among 'the rest' brought chaos but I'm not convinced this is totally healthy either.

They got £2m for Nisbet. Plus I think they may have sold someone else. So I guess they have said to the Manager we will give you all the transfer money to reinvest in the squad. While we have taken in roughly £1m and said to the Manager we are not giving you any money to reinvest in the squad. Again perfectly understandable given different circumstances. 

I do think we are getting to the stage where Hearts, Aberdeen and Hibs will spend decent money on their squads to try and get guaranteed group stage European football. Means they will probably always finish top 6 for the foreseeable future. 

I was not saying they were world beaters. Just I could not see us beating a Swiss side 3-1. 

Sunday will be a huge gauge of what  type of season lies ahead.