Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

8 minutes ago, Desp said:

I think, if it is to be one in today, we'll get a wing back in.  I imagine we'll then get another forward in next week from the free agent market.

Yep - if it really is one in, It has to be a left wing back. Soare doesn't have the feel of a 1st choice player and I'm pretty sure Spencer is there to replace O'Donnell.

I might be wrong but getting a forward in the post-window market would be a hell of a lot easier/more likely than a fast wing back of the Johnston/Furlong/Spencer profile that we need for our system.

3 minutes ago, Swello said:

I might be wrong but getting a forward in the post-window market would be a hell of a lot easier/more likely than a fast wing back of the Johnston/Furlong/Spencer profile that we need for our system.

Agree completely.

There will be all kind of solid pros available next week, chances are the young whippet we're after to run the line will be a teenager under contract.

My random prediction is Furlong in on loan for the season later tonight . If Efford or McGinley go I can see us going back for Fletcher next week. 

Incidentally I know he was pish on Saturday but that was Effords first start in 10 months so on reflection we have maybe been harsh to chuck him on the scrap heap. Could he not perhaps offer cover for the Spittal role? 

Add me to the it'll likely be a LWB crowd - for exactly the reasons @Desp, @Swello and @Handsome_Devil have posted.

Kettlewell has spoken about us needing balance, we currently don't really have that with Soaré apparently being viewed as our only option there and us having had to shuffle RBs into that position. Feels like the specific profile of LWB we're looking for is likely to be contracted whereas we could probably source another striker or midfielder from Free Agency if needed.

So aye, a Furlong-style regen would be my bet.

Edit: this post feels incredibly redundant being placed directly after @Casagolda has just posted that it is, indeed, a left back/LWB.

Edited by capt_oats

16 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

So aye, a Furlong-style regen would be my bet.

https://x.com/rovers/status/1696263603240784130?s=46

Not much about him online but here’s highlights of him playing for the Blackburn U21’s last week. Scored the first and sets up the second

Pacey with a wand of a left foot? Count me in. Him and Spencer flying down the flanks should hopefully help recreate some of the pace and width we had with Johnston/Furlong last season. 

While Sods and Souare both provide experienced cover for both sides. 

Edited by Casagolda

16 minutes ago, MearnsWell said:

I saw that. There's absolutely no mention from Kettlewell that we're after a striker to make them draw that conclusion

this is the copy posted, they've just made an assumption and completely fucked it.:

Screenshot2023-09-01at11_53_25.thumb.png.ea583b68731a40efbbb279210d9c7b90.png

Edited by capt_oats

17 minutes ago, MearnsWell said:

May well be a striker, but nothing in the quotes from Kettlewell suggest that. I think it's maybe a reporter who hasn't paid attention to us signing Shaw yesterday and assuming it'll definitely be a striker.

EDIT: @capt_oats beat me to it.  

Edited by MurrayWell

2 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

May well be a striker, but nothing in the quotes from Kettlewell suggest that. I think it's maybe a reporter who hasn't paid attention to us signing Shaw yesterday and assuming it'll definitely be a striker.

EDIT: @capt_oats beat me to it.  

That is my take on it. Lazy journalism alert. If it is another striker and LB then the manager is being economical with the truth 😛

1 hour ago, Casagolda said:

Not much about him online but here’s highlights of him playing for the Blackburn U21’s last week. Scored the first and sets up the second

Pacey with a wand of a left foot? Count me in. Him and Spencer flying down the flanks should hopefully help recreate some of the pace and width we had with Johnston/Furlong last season. 

Just got a chance to watch those highlights on a screen bigger than my phone and...the photos that ran alongside the news stories linking him do him a disservice - he looks a big laddie.

Looking at his profile on Blackburns site he's marked down as playing "anywhere on the left side of the pitch" which is interesting as he looked to be playing almost as a winger in that clip which I suppose with us playing the shape that we do is broadly what we're looking for in a player in that position.

I'm sold.

Incidentally I see Hull are looking at Furlong on a permanent deal and Campbell to Millwall.

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Just got a chance to watch those highlights on a screen bigger than my phone and...the photos that ran alongside the news stories linking him do him a disservice - he looks a big laddie.

Looking at his profile on Blackburns site he's marked down as playing "anywhere on the left side of the pitch" which is interesting as he looked to be playing almost as a winger in that clip which I suppose with us playing the shape that we do is broadly what we're looking for in a player in that position.

I'm sold.

Incidentally I see Hull are looking at Furlong on a permanent deal and Campbell to Millwall.

Wee Al will be getting an honorary EDL membership at this rate.

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I'm sold.

Millwall would be a tremendous move for wee Al I think. Style wise would suit him right down to the ground. 

1 hour ago, Casagolda said:

The comments under that are "get him in't first team" - they might be annoyed