Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

No chance we could afford to get him back.  I'd imagine he'll likely end up at a relatively big club in the North of England where it's easier to commute up and down.  Either that or Hibs.

5 minutes ago, Desp said:

No chance we could afford to get him back.  I'd imagine he'll likely end up at a relatively big club in the North of England where it's easier to commute up and down.  Either that or Hibs.

Yeah, reckon you're right. Hearts maybe being another option if they cash-in on Shankland. 

Would imagine we'll be nowhere near having the funds for him, unless Groningen just continued to pay him, as part of a loan deal which is highly unlikely. Shame as it would be class to have him back. 

9 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

The idea of him and Biereth is so, so funny.

Spin the wheel, get them both, win the Scottish Cup, immediately retire from the league cause it won't get more fun than that.

He already has a bit of this about him imo but I reckon Mika could become such a p***k if KVV took him under his wing for 6 months.

Actually, maybe we could get Arsenal to fund this.

Not sure Groningen would want to pay up his deal. 1.5 years on a rumoured £10k per week. Kev may be happy to settle for less just to get away.

Suspect more like a loan deal unless another club pays a small fee for him. 

You also have to wonder if Groningen would be happy him coming back here. Pay Motherwell 6-700k Euros and 5 months later he joins us on loan and we pay £2 max £3k per week. 

Would love it to happen. And tbh at the rate we are going we may need it to happen. 

But more likely if it is to be in Scotland for it to be a city club. 

It's all speculation about Groningen and entirely dependent on their circumstances. If the manager's jacket is on a shaky peg, they might not even be interested in loaning KVV at all incase the next guy wants him...

Alternatively they know the fee is basically non-recoverable so do they spend 10k a week on a huffy bench warmer or are they happy if they can cut that by X percentage as the best of a bad situation?

However - he's still not coming back to us.

Not to kill the vibe but I’m not sure I agree with the clamour for this to be honest.

February to May was lightning in a bottle stuff for us and Van Veen. If this season has proved anything though, it’s that these things don’t last. Just like in the long term Kettlewell is proving himself to be the extremely limited manager that got binned after less than half a season in Dingwall, Van Veen would ultimately go back to being the decent but frustrating Scottish Premiership striker that he was prior to Kettlewell’s arrival.

It would be expensive and he won’t come back and magically solve all our problems. Priority in January should be an actual left back. Unless Davor does an Ally Gorrin, then we need a proper sitting midfield option as well. Maybe even a winger as well so we can mix things up occasionally and not be so utterly fucking predictable. 

We’ve kept 1 clean sheet in 14 games, have no left back, no wingers and our midfield is held together by a 17 year old who’s currently crocked. Call me crazy but spunking most of our January budget on a temperamental 32 year old journeyman striker to add to the 5 we already have probably isn’t the best plan. 

39 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Not to kill the vibe but I’m not sure I agree with the clamour for this to be honest.

February to May was lightning in a bottle stuff for us and Van Veen. If this season has proved anything though, it’s that these things don’t last. Just like in the long term Kettlewell is proving himself to be the extremely limited manager that got binned after less than half a season in Dingwall, Van Veen would ultimately go back to being the decent but frustrating Scottish Premiership striker that he was prior to Kettlewell’s arrival.

It would be expensive and he won’t come back and magically solve all our problems. Priority in January should be an actual left back. Unless Davor does an Ally Gorrin, then we need a proper sitting midfield option as well. Maybe even a winger as well so we can mix things up occasionally and not be so utterly fucking predictable. 

We’ve kept 1 clean sheet in 14 games, have no left back, no wingers and our midfield is held together by a 17 year old who’s currently crocked. Call me crazy but spunking most of our January budget on a temperamental 32 year old journeyman striker to add to the 5 we already have probably isn’t the best plan. 

Completely understand your point however 💯 do not agree. 

Even at 32 the guy has more class, ability and desire than the Obika, Bair, Shaw and Wilkinson rolled up together. If it’s possible at all we need to make it happen. Financially unlikely but we could not miss out the chance. 

39 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Talk about killing the mood!  I feel like I've been knee capped reading that.

(You're absolutely spot on, mind you.)

47 minutes ago, CoF said:

Imagine we signed Van Veen then Kettlewell decided he can never play alongside Biereth. One or the other up-front with Wilkinson. What a laugh. 

Don’t be daft. It would be alongside Obika when he is fit 2 games in every 8.

£5k a week, 3 games where he slowly gets sharper and sharper, ACL pops out and hes out for the season. Thread filled with comments claiming Moult would've been better.