Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

There are many problems but one of them is we are carrying too many substandard players who are all playing at once. A decent team could accommodate the odd dud and/squad player filling in but our whole team is made up of them. Biereth aside, do we have any players that would get a game for any other club in the division? 

Having a midfield, regardless or the combination who can’t run, tackle, jump, shoot, pass, or anything is one of the main problems. As is continually playing a piss poor right back and a rookie right back at left back. 

The East Stand as virtually empty by the the time Wilkinson equalised. 

3 minutes ago, welldaft said:

I am not a Kettlewell fan boy at all and I did wonder why at 2-2 and us down to ten men he threw on another forward. Surely you accept we are up against it and out on another defender or midfielder. All that said Oli Shaw did set up Wilkinson to score the equaliser. 

I accept that we probably had to cut back the playing budget. I guess another £1m loss is not very palatable or sustainable but Ketts is probably working with the smallest squad in many years. He literally has no choice but to play 11 fit and available players. Is that his fault or the fault of the Board ? 

As long as we don’t get relegated this year then hopefully we can regroup and rebuild. 

Although it all worked out well (so Kettlewell is a better manager than me) I thought the next move was to take Biereth off, put Davor on and move the more mobile of Bair and Wilkinson up front.  But what do I know.

28 minutes ago, ropy said:

I was going to remark that Oli Shaw was now on the scoreboard with an assist but I see that he has two, what was the other?

He's credited with the assist for Thelonius Bair's goal against Aberdeen.

Edited by capt_oats

43 minutes ago, ropy said:

Is there any quick way of seeing what the table would look like if games started at 90 minutes?

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/scottish-premiership/tabellenachminuten/wettbewerb/SC1?saison_id=2023&range=90'%3BFull+Time&time_start=91&time_end=AB

Screenshot_20231202_215933_Chrome.thumb.jpg.75dc5f7ad2bf29c9de9d48aa02efdafe.jpg

Wanted us to re-sign Casey based on his form last season, so not about to try and rewrite history here, but overall since agreeing his new deal he's been absolutely atrocious. 

While a point at Celtic Park was welcome and surprising, results like that won't really shape our season when it comes down to it. In recent weeks we've played all four teams below us (currently) conceding 14 goals and winning zero games. That's appalling, no matter what spin Kettlewell tries to put on it. We're hilariously easy to score against. 

The odd result and demonstration of character aside, it really isn't working for Kettlewell and his continual talking of absolute pish isn't helping him either. Could be curtains after Tuesday. 

Edited by MurrayWell

43 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

Biereth aside, do we have any players that would get a game for any other club in the division? 

Kelly, Spittal, Slattery, Butcher, Mugabi, Casey, Spencer, Obika, McGinn, Miller.... I think are all capable at this level. Our problem is that individually and collectively they've gone to shit. That tells me it's a management problem. 

Wilkinson is a weird one as he looks lacking in a lot of areas- especially physically given his size- but can show nice touches on occasion and is actually a pretty good finisher. Gives me slightly more hope he'll turn out to be useful for us than some of the other huddles we've had up top before.

34 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Wilkinson is a weird one as he looks lacking in a lot of areas- especially physically given his size- but can show nice touches on occasion and is actually a pretty good finisher. Gives me slightly more hope he'll turn out to be useful for us than some of the other huddles we've had up top before.

The one he lofted over the keeper up in Perth was a superb finish, just a pity he accidentally handled it in the build up. 

7 hours ago, camer0n_mcd said:

That's Dan Casey on 6 bookings now. Leaves us with Mugabi, Blaney and  Butcher as fit centre halves for Tuesday. Certainly not ideal 

It'll actually resolve Kettlewell's mental disconnect at complaining we sat back at 1-0 while playing Butcher in midfield. I was quite happy to see Butcher in midfield given the bad decision to stop pressing had already seemingly been made - it should have, in theory, protected the defence more than Paton being deepest (clearly not!).

However, expecting our midfield three to press aggressively with Butcher in it was just never going to happen.

I'm always 100% pressing for us in the league because the advantages massively outweigh the risks. Blaney-butcher-mugabi at the back is certainly worth a try and let's be honest, Davor at six or Wilkinson at 10 with Spittal and Slattery isnt an end of the world gamble when you're on 4/33 or whatever.