Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

11 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

You never know but I find it hard to believe we'd have committed a high wage to another GK before Kelly had signed his exit papers...and like you say, we'd surely have loaned him somewhere, anywhere, if it were true.

4 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Aye it was really just chatter in the stand. I can believe the signed him up when Kelly was part way out there door. But you make a good point about Kettlewell 

This was the first mention of his wage on SO (based on a quick 'Oxborough' search).

Screenshot2024-01-29at14_02_06.thumb.png.e7b9c1949451867b67bc7a3958fe1f2d.png

I mean, who knows maybe we did absolutely f**k it and make a goalkeeper from Norwich u23s whose previous clubs were loans at Barnet and Wealdstone our 2nd top earner but it feels like one of those stories that people would be willing to believe based on him being an Alexander/Daws signing.

It’s actually quite impressive how little we know about individual player wages. Total shot in the dark guesses, most of which are probably up to +\- 75% of the real thing. In the information Age it’s one of life’s last great mysteries. 

I know we all take Steelmen Online and any online similar online source with a pinch of salt, but I've honestly heard that about 4 or 5 different players are our second highest paid. I guess if you start enough rumours about that eventually one of them will be right.

Spittal has been outstanding for us and he's probably entering his peak now. I know he has a young family and has never played outside of Scotland, but I wonder if the appeal of playing down south does anything for him. The Championship is unrealistic, but if Jordan Roberts, for example, is doing well in League One, I can't see any reason why Spittal wouldn't. I also wonder if he's on the radar of any of the city clubs that could keep him in Scotland but pay more than a sideways move. 

Either way, if I was a manager trying to get him to my club, I'd definitely be leading with "I won't ever play you as a wing-back, or a six".

Although Kettlewell has played him out of position - I also think it wasn't until he came in that we saw the best of Spittal. 

If he does leave at the end of the 2 year contract for more money, we can't have any complaints and I don't even see it as a particularly negative story (much as I'd love him to hang about longer)  - getting a productive shift off someone for 2 years is actually pretty good these days and if he keeps up his current levels, there's not much to say about it. 

Sport5 Israel update:

European team joined the race after Alan Ozbolt: the Polish Gornik Zabza, in which Lukas Podolski plays, is also interested in adding the Hapoel Tel Aviv striker.

Both teams offered a payment of 150,000 dollars for the Slovenian, who would have to to decide where he will move since it is not impossible that additional offers will be received for him in the coming days

I'm good with players coming in, giving us a solid 2 years, then moving on. It would be nice to keep Spittal, but you're always going to make more money moving elsewhere, just like in real life jobs.

7 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Sport5 Israel update:

European team joined the race after Alan Ozbolt: the Polish Gornik Zabza, in which Lukas Podolski plays, is also interested in adding the Hapoel Tel Aviv striker.

Both teams offered a payment of 150,000 dollars for the Slovenian, who would have to to decide where he will move since it is not impossible that additional offers will be received for him in the coming days

I mean, that'll be that then I guess.

I find it a bit weird that Scott Burns hasn't been all over this tbh.

4 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I mean, that'll be that then I guess.

I find it a bit weird that Scott Burns hasn't been all over this tbh.

Presumably, yes.

That said, GZ aren't exactly flush with cash either and if he's thinking onto the next move he's more likely to end up in the English championship from us than Poland.

But aye, I'd be surprised if we see him claret and amber.

2 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Presumably, yes.

That said, GZ aren't exactly flush with cash either and if he's thinking onto the next move he's more likely to end up in the English championship from us than Poland.

Yeah, it depends on what he’s looking to get out the move but given that his career to date has been Central/Eastern European leagues (he was briefly in the same TSV Hartberg side as Christian Ilic) and Israel I’m not sure the process of relocating to Lanarkshire is likely to appeal?

Maybe I’m wrong and he’d be bang up for it but I don’t fancy our chances in an auction (although interesting that we were prepared to chuck a wedge at getting him).

8 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Presumably, yes.

Yeah heard that one is dying a death. 

We have tried to take a striker on loan from Sunderland but on the condition they bring someone in first. This is causing delay issue and Kettlewell is concerned so we have asked about a striker from Blackburn aswell. Talks ongoing on that one.

Also rumours of a striker from a Scandavian country has been offered a deal. Quite far on with that seemingly but potential fitness concerns. 

Source - Same one who told me about Slatts injury, Callan Elliot and Sam Nicolson which all came true. 

I don't disagree with the sentiment in terms of us getting 2 good years out of Spittal. However, I'm sure he's someone we'd much rather keep than not and it's not as though it's one of the city clubs who have come in for him. Are we really at a point where we can't even compete with St Mirren (and other similar sized clubs) in terms of wages? 

Obviously this is all just P&B chat just now and I might just be yelling at the proverbial cloud but the point stands given that, if rumours are to be believed, we've already lost out on Main to Dundee and Scott to St Mirren. 

30 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Yeah, it depends on what he’s looking to get out the move but given that his career to date has been Central/Eastern European leagues (he was briefly in the same TSV Hartberg side as Christian Ilic) and Israel I’m not sure the process of relocating to Lanarkshire is likely to appeal?

Maybe I’m wrong and he’d be bang up for it but I don’t fancy our chances in an auction (although interesting that we were prepared to chuck a wedge at getting him).

Has he been largely in that part of the world out of choice or necessity? Maybe he'll look at Miovski tear it up and think I could do that...

Agree we're not in an auction though and if he wasn't sold immediately on the 18 months Scotland then go south pitch it won't be happening.

Not crazy about signing yet another guy with no game time in ages from the Nordics but maybe we're out of options.

There does seem quite the contrast to paying 120k plus presumably decent wages for Ozbolt to kicking around Blackburn and Sunderland reserves looking for loans mind.

51 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

I don't disagree with the sentiment in terms of us getting 2 good years out of Spittal. However, I'm sure he's someone we'd much rather keep than not and it's not as though it's one of the city clubs who have come in for him. Are we really at a point where we can't even compete with St Mirren (and other similar sized clubs) in terms of wages? 

Obviously this is all just P&B chat just now and I might just be yelling at the proverbial cloud but the point stands given that, if rumours are to be believed, we've already lost out on Main to Dundee and Scott to St Mirren. 

Fwiw, when I was perusing SO looking for that Oxborough post I noticed the suggestion that reports about us having interest in some of those targets were wide of the mark.

Either way, regardless of whether we were or weren''t, I guess it's a question of value. We already know that Dundee were prepared to chuck daft money at Lamie when they tried to get him on a pre-contract but they ended up relegated and the deal fell to bits. By all accounts it sounds like they've done the same with Main (I think Robinson referenced it - saying they'd offered him a very good contract but Dundee offered a deal that they weren't prepared to match - or words to that effect).

And that's the point really, it's presumably a judgement call in so much as do we think Curtis Main is worth that money or do we want to chuck a 2.5 year deal at James Scott (which is effectively what St Mirren have done) when he has barely kicked a baw since 2020?

Edited by capt_oats

42 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

I think it was reported we weren't in for scott or main.

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Sport5 Israel update:

If he's choosing to play alongside that Podolski jobber rather than the Bair then I think we're better off without him