Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

23 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

If ever there was an image that sums up our defending this season...

Screenshot_20240226_121101_X.jpg.12e340f5520e303db396dddd7775bac4.jpg

Like, Butcher was not good in that moment in that he did the thing that centre-halfs can't do, by letting the centre forward get across him. However; what the f**k was Blaney doing? Ball watching while Johnston, who'd been a threat throughout the second half was standing without him even looking at him. Come on man.

2 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Like, Butcher was not good in that moment in that he did the thing that centre-halfs can't do, by letting the centre forward get across him. However; what the f**k was Blaney doing? Ball watching while Johnston, who'd been a threat throughout the second half was standing without him even looking at him. Come on man.

Aye agreed man, just the look of "what can ye do eh?" really summed up how we're defending these days for me. 

18 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

A common theme since his return from Butcher is two fold, getting wrong side of the attacker and also backing two far off. 

So far in 2024 he has been bodied by Sammon, Oakley and now Idah. The latter apart, none of whom are decent. 

Agree re Blaney, but it did look like what it was, a centre half playing left back. He auto went to default on positioning. 

Edited by wellboy1991

14 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Waiting until Celtic got 40 yards out before pressuring them is what killed us most I reckon in that last 10 mins. Absolute criminal. 

Yip, 💯.

Losing the energy, pace and closing of Gent, Devine and more importantly Vale killed is. Coupled with Bair tiring and Celtic swapping their DM in Iwata for a Bernardo and giving wee Davor two men to mark let them push higher up. We didn’t combat it at all. 

4 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

Yip, 💯.

Losing the energy, pace and closing of Gent, Devine and more importantly Vale killed is. Coupled with Bair tiring and Celtic swapping their DM in Iwata for a Bernardo and giving wee Davor two men to mark let them push higher up. We didn’t combat it at all. 

This is Kettlewell's biggest failing as a coach for me; his subs are quite often based on how tired, lacking legs etc. we are towards the end of games. He doesn't react to other managers/teams changing their set up effectively to nullify new threats/their Plan B. Aberdeen is the perfect example of that, as much as Sunday was. It was obvious Davor needed help but he just didn't get that and it led to Celtic being camped in our half for basically the entire second half.

Edited by StAndrew7

I know Shaw isnae great but he's got stick for his cameo yesterday and it was not his fault.

He was 100% following orders of not pressing to early, not getting too far forward and other than winning a couple of headers the game literally passed him by.

7 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I know Shaw isnae great but he's got stick for his cameo yesterday and it was not his fault.

He was 100% following orders of not pressing to early, not getting too far forward and other than winning a couple of headers the game literally passed him by.

I think the main issue is that he always lets the game pass him by. He can't hold the ball up to drag us up the pitch, he doesn't offer anything (regardless of opposition) to drag us up the pitch by his work rate. 

Do I have a personal vandetta against him? No. Do I think he's a complete waste of a shirt? Absolutely. 

Edited by well fan for life
Lads I cannot change that to the right spelling of vandetta. I've tried 5 times now.

12 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

This is Kettlewell's biggest failing as a coach for me; his subs are quite often based on how tired, lacking legs etc. we are towards the end of games. He doesn't react to other managers/teams changing their set up effectively to nullify new threats/their Plan B. Aberdeen is the perfect example of that, as much as Sunday was. It was obvious Davor needed help but he just didn't get that and it led to Celtic being camped in our half for basically the entire second half.

Absolutely this. Cost us against Aberdeen, Hearts and to an extent Celtic. 

Doesn’t help either that our bench options are brutal.

56 minutes ago, CoF said:

5 sub rule is shit.

Even if you forget the advantage that it gives teams with bigger budgets/better squads - the 2nd half of games has turned into one big procession of subs, which when you add to stoppages for VAR pish, means that the flow of games is now completely broken. Shite.

Edited by Swello

4 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

Absolutely this. Cost us against Aberdeen, Hearts and to an extent Celtic. 

Doesn’t help either that our bench options are brutal.

I think that's the big part of it.

If Halliday were available, he'd have been a dead cert to come in the last 15/20 mins to help Davor.

It does show just how threadbare we are; we have a bit of a generational gap in the youth team in that we don't really have any players in the 19-21 range (by Kettlewell's doing, he said as much last week; he didn't feel any were good enough to ever make it) who could help plug that kind of gap. Also, if we were looking to a player that age to see out a game, that would be quite concerning, too.

Edited by StAndrew7

45 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

I think that's the big part of it.

If Halliday were available, he'd have been a dead cert to come in the last 15/20 mins to help Davor.

It does show just how threadbare we are; we have a bit of a generational gap in the youth team in that we don't really have any players in the 19-21 range (by Kettlewell's doing, he said as much last week; he didn't feel any were good enough to ever make it) who could help plug that kind of gap. Also, if we were looking to a player that age to see out a game, that would be quite concerning, too.

He probably would have started and Paton aswell tbh. 

Just shows how shit our January window was in my opinion. In fairness injuries to Montgomery, Halliday, Paton and Jili-gate has weakened the squad aswell.

Makes you wonder what the script is with Elliot. Reading about him he would on paper be a straight like for like replacement for Devine at RWB. Would offer pace to get up the pitch and close Celtic down. However he went for the usual sub of SOD’s. 

Even then he also went for Blaney to LWB for Gent instead of Elliot.

I do kind of get his reasoning behind some of his tactics but the players do not have the physical capability to carry them out. 

Edited by wellboy1991

1 hour ago, well fan for life said:

I think the main issue is that he always lets the game pass him by. He can't hold the ball up to drag us up the pitch, he doesn't offer anything (regardless of opposition) to drag us up the pitch by his work rate. 

Do I have a personal vandetta against him? No. Do I think he's a complete waste of a shirt? Absolutely. 

Oh aye a hunner percent. I was just more pissed about the tactics in the time he was on the field. 

40 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I have totally forgotten where this came from but honestly I felt like I was being gaslit by a football forum.

This is old P&B lore. Some Morton fan (I think?) started a thread about someone (Thundermonkey?) of holding a 'Vandetta' against them, so the forum auto-corrects Ven-detta to Vandetta forever more.

I think 'vigil' may also go to 'virgil' for similar reasons.

Edited by thisGRAEME
As it turns out Vigil no longer corrects to Virgil.

1 hour ago, Swello said:

Even if you forget the advantage that it gives teams with bigger budgets/better squads - the 2nd half of games has turned into one big procession of subs, which when you add to stoppages for VAR pish, means that the flow of games is now completely broken. Shite.

whilst I totally agree with the general point, that isn't down to the additional subs, five subs but only on three occasions.

unless you mean that being able to change nearly 50% of the 22 on the field then i'll wrap it and agree with the full point.

2 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Waiting until Celtic got 40 yards out before pressuring them is what killed us most I reckon in that last 10 mins. Absolute criminal. 

Yes but there's very few teams of our level who will be capable of pressing Celtic in the last 10 minutes when defending something. I even think you're being pretty generous with 40 yards...

Half the team are shattered, half the team (as per the five subs discussion) is shite. The thing about pressing is it has to work or you're in deep trouble with men taken out the game - it's why teams press like crazy in some moments but the second the opposition get set, fall back. That's just chasing the ball and inviting them to wander past you.

If you ignore the defensive mistakes at the end, for me the more realistic thing that killed the balance of play was not having any type of attacking outlet on the break...even replacing the attacking Bair with the Chris Humphrey of strikers would have stretched the game and kept them honest.