Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Has to be said 53 goals in 85 starts is a fairly impressive record, whatever level you’re playing at.

We’ve done well shopping at this level before though to be fair, certainly more hit than miss, on a free transfer as well so he seems well worth a punt.

What we still on the lookout for then? Another striker and an attacking midfielder going by our supposed interest in Murray and Crawford.  Plus a left wing back?

Edited by Casagolda

58 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Has to be said 53 goals in 85 starts is a fairly impressive record, whatever level you’re playing at.

We’ve done well shopping at this level before though to be fair, certainly more hit than miss, on a free transfer as well so he seems well worth a punt.

What we still on the lookout for then? Another striker and an attacking midfielder going by our supposed interest in Murray and Crawford.  Plus a left wing back?

I'd say we're definitely still in the market for another striker, a Tanner alternative and a LWB.

Totally fine with us taking a punt here not least because he seems to be a very different sort of striker to what we have.

Here he is lads, some of the goalkeeping and defending btw...

Looking at that video clip from Gateshead's Twitter the first thing I noticed (apart from the hilarious goalkeeping/defending) is that Johnson seems quite a wee guy. From the looks of things he's not the 6ft+ "physical" type that's become a bit of a stereotype for us.

He also looks quite mobile which is something we haven't really had as an option. Even when Moult was here he wasn't particularly quick.

Edited by capt_oats

3 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

Aye but when's the new kit out?

Well now you say that. Our sponsor should be announced either this friday or thr beginning of next week. Then the kits will be revealed and be put on sale.

Just check Flows latest tweets for an update.

Couple of thoughts on that interview:

- He says he's wanted to strengthen the squad from shirts 13-18 ie: upgrade on Griffiths, Plummer and Petravicius. The inference from that is that the three we've signed thus far are meant as squad players.

- it looks like whatever happens with Carson we're running with 3 'keepers with Ferguson as the 3rd first team GK.

- If we're in for another midfielder you'd think it'd have to be someone who's "better" than we have. With the number we have at the club at the minute there's surely no way we're bringing in another squad filler. Also, he talks about that player having "stature", can give us "creativity, composure and ownership of the ball", "is able to put his foot on the ball" and "gets about the pitch"...the stature comment would suggest it's not Ali Crawford.

- We're still after a striker and wide player or ideally someone who can play both (within budget). Hmmmm...

17 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Couple of thoughts on that interview:

- He says he's wanted to strengthen the squad from shirts 13-18 ie: upgrade on Griffiths, Plummer and Petravicius. The inference from that is that the three we've signed thus far are meant as squad players.

- If we're in for another midfielder you'd think it'd have to be someone who's "better" than we have. With the number we have at the club at the minute there's surely no way we're brining in another squad filler. Also, he talks about that player having "stature", can give us "creativity, composure and ownership of the ball", "is able to put his foot on the ball" and "gets about the pitch"...the stature comment would suggest it's not Ali Crawford.

In terms of 13-18, having just watched the interview, I didn't hear it quite the same way - I might be wrong but I thought that was specifically about the keeper. If you're signing a striker that's scoring more than 1 every 2, you're surely not signing him to sit on the bench. I also assume Donnelly isn't there to make up the numbers either given his experience.  My assumption is that both in the case of Donnelly and Gillespie, they are lined up to replace players that are leaving...

Interesting about the midfielder in that he is using a lot of the same words that he used about Bigi at this point last year (eg, ownership of the ball, composure, etc) - an implicit statement that Bigi has not done what was hoped for (and you would infer from that, that he'll be offski I guess).

In terms of 13-18, having just watched the interview, I didn't hear it quite the same way - I might be wrong but I thought that was specifically about the keeper. If you're signing a striker that's scoring more than 1 every 2, you're surely not signing him to sit on the bench. I also assume Donnelly isn't there to make up the numbers either given his experience.  My assumption is that both in the case of Donnelly and Gillespie, they are lined up to replace players that are leaving... Interesting about the midfielder in that he is using a lot of the same words that he used about Bigi at this point last year (eg, ownership of the ball, composure, etc) - an implicit statement that Bigi has not done what was hoped for (and you would infer from that, that he'll be offski I guess).

Yeah, I don’t think I was particularly clear with my earlier post. My interpretation re: Donnelly and Johnson was less that they’ve been brought in with the intention of warming the bench and more that he’s confident that they’ll be able to allow us better depth.

Robinson’s been consistent in his point that November/December cost us and that the players on the fringes of the first team (the 13-18) didn’t step up. Which is fair comment IMO. My takeaway from what he was saying was along the lines that they’ve been brought in to step into the first team but not necessarily as guaranteed first team starters (at this moment). Which isn’t to say there’s not succession planning going on either.

I could be miles out on that one though and there’s every chance I’m just projecting a bit.

On the midfielder it’s interesting that Bigi said in a post-match (St Johnstone at McDiarmid pre-split?) he hoped he’d be able to show he can do what the manager is asking and here’s Robinson reiterating what he wants. It wouldn’t be a huge surprise if he was off however the way Robinson’s talking it sounds like the midfielder is intended to be someone to go into the first XI. There could be a knock on effect for McHugh there too.

Based on the description that Robinson is giving then at the risk of veering into ‘could do a job’ territory: Greg Tansey has apparently been told he’s free to leave Aberdeen, is 6ft(ish) and is also (I believe) a World In Motion represented player...

Then again I’m pretty sure there will be dozens of players at League 1 level who’d also tick a lot of the boxes Robinson was referencing.

Must admit Tansey was somebody that came to mind for me as well, although I would have thought if it were Tansey that somebody somewhere would have picked up on it by now.

Robinson’s description certainly sounds promising, although I’m pretty sure he described Andy Rose as an attacking midfielder last summer.

Would imagine somebody must be on their way out the door, Bigi would seem like the most likely casualty.

10 minutes ago, Swello said:

A relatively tough start to the season I think....and a hard run in to the split.

Tbf, I think that's just the league, really. Livi, St Mirren and Accies aside, everyone is much of a muchness, so easier games are at a premium.

Interested to see whether we'll own Killie or they'll own us this season, we seem to be taking turns about.

Edited by thisGRAEME

Might've missed it, but doesn't look all that clear from the articles I've read. Did the Johnson striker we bought come as a free agent after his contract was up, or did we pay a fee for him? I can't imagine Gateshead giving us him for free after his goal record for them! 

Might've missed it, but doesn't look all that clear from the articles I've read. Did the Johnson striker we bought come as a free agent after his contract was up, or did we pay a fee for him? I can't imagine Gateshead giving us him for free after his goal record for them!

His contract is up so he’s a free agent.