Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

14 minutes ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

I don't normally mind Steelmen, but I've been avoiding it lately because it's going through one of its periodic phases of being dominated by a small number of people who seem to think they have to post every single thought that flits briefly across their minds, usually followed by "It's all about opinions" when anyone sensible points out that they're talking bollocks.

I mean, I stopped posting years ago (July 13th 2022 to be exact but it's going on 5 years since I've posted with any regularity). I was never a Day 1 guy anyway but a brief scan of the last few pages of the New Investment Options thread is exactly the reason I binned it.

That's absolutely fucking exhausting.

Edited by capt_oats

16 minutes ago, redstarcvedza said:

I sold this fanzine outside the ground in the late 80s early 90s. Might make a good title for any docuseries20240412_140121.thumb.jpg.2722be887e5c0d6ad804c9f10cb8c4bb.jpg

12 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

You must be one of those Well Society Maoists I've heard about 

Yeah, that won't be the title if it is being released/marketed in the US 😂

Edited by Antiochas III

19 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I mean, I stopped posting years ago (July 13th 2022 to be exact but it's going on 5 years since I've posted with any regularity). I was never a Day 1 guy anyway but a brief scan of the last few pages of the New Investment Options thread is exactly the reason I binned it.

That's absolutely fucking exhausting.

Aye, I finally signed up here following the AGM after I'd posted my notes from it on SO following a very long hiatus on there, as I felt it'd help with discussion. I attempted to engage in some debate there following that and also this morning based on the GM article and, frankly, I'm done. Just going round in circles and convenient ignoring of salient points people are making.

Several people on there are "absolutely for investment no matter the cost" and that absolutely fucking baffles me, tbh. Like, there's so much nuance around what's going on, it's definitely not a black and white decision to me (just now, anyway) and yet the tribalism/money at any cost seems to be the idea for some, as well as it being an absolute no-no (or non-non-non @CoF) for some before any details have been released.

I understand the excitement/want for it and the skepticism that people have, but I can't shut down at least considering a potential investment "just because"; if it goes over the red line of 51/49 in favour of fan ownership at any point, that's when it can get in the sea for me. Otherwise? Let's have a look and see.

Edited by StAndrew7

My heads puggled with all this investment talk . I wish we could go back to the good old days when clubs were self sufficient and relied mainly on gate receipts (all gate receipts were halved including the away matches, even though Celtic diddled everyone including the tax man by under declaring crowd size). Hardly anyone knew who the chairman was and we didn't need a CEO. The league was also much more competitive although we still won nothing . Players were far better also even though they sometimes had to play on plough fields. However the Scottish main stream media were the same as now , only two teams existed .

21 hours ago, StAndrew7 said:

Aye, I finally signed up here following the AGM after I'd posted my notes from it on SO following a very long hiatus on there, as I felt it'd help with discussion. I attempted to engage in some debate there following that and also this morning based on the GM article and, frankly, I'm done. Just going round in circles and convenient ignoring of salient points people are making.

Several people on there are "absolutely for investment no matter the cost" and that absolutely fucking baffles me, tbh. Like, there's so much nuance around what's going on, it's definitely not a black and white decision to me (just now, anyway) and yet the tribalism/money at any cost seems to be the idea for some, as well as it being an absolute no-no (or non-non-non @CoF) for some before any details have been released.

I understand the excitement/want for it and the skepticism that people have, but I can't shut down at least considering a potential investment "just because"; if it goes over the red line of 51/49 in favour of fan ownership at any point, that's when it can get in the sea for me. Otherwise? Let's have a look and see.

You're giving Steelboy a run for his money👍

Edited by santheman

1 hour ago, redstarcvedza said:

I sold this fanzine outside the ground in the late 80s early 90s. Might make a good title for any docuseries20240412_140121.thumb.jpg.2722be887e5c0d6ad804c9f10cb8c4bb.jpg

Ooooh, an issue 1...very impressive.

Biased too but GLF (and broader fanzine culture in general) was cracking back in the day. 

It's one of these things where explaining to youngsters who post about the game literally while watching it that you had four weeks to collate your thoughts and six-eight to see it in print is wonderful.

I genuinely think the quicker world in those terms contributes to the ever decreasing patience with managers.

3 hours ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

And wasn't Craig whyte born in Motherwell? Would his proximity to the club mean he wouldve been any better for motherwell than he was for Rangers? 

A certain John Boyle also.

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Ooooh, an issue 1...very impressive.

Biased too but GLF (and broader fanzine culture in general) was cracking back in the day. 

It's one of these things where explaining to youngsters who post about the game literally while watching it that you had four weeks to collate your thoughts and six-eight to see it in print is wonderful.

I genuinely think the quicker world in those terms contributes to the ever decreasing patience with managers.

Yes at the time it was edgy and different but in these days of digital instancy it feels as if it was from a bygone era. 

I have most of the first 16 issues covering 1990 to 1994. They make decent reading and cover an interesting period so if anyone wants a loan just let me know

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I was at the Alloa game but have no recollection of Wells tbh. Is he a winger?

Aye, winger/forward type. Be interesting to see how Kettlewell fits him into his system next season.

It’ll be interesting when the nuts and bolts of the offer come out. Im still in the “what’s in it for him” camp. He's saying the right things, but I don’t generally go a job interview and open with how the “company values” are a load of shite and I’m only seeing the job as stepping stone, so there’ll be an element of saying the right things I imagine. 

I just don’t see why he’d be interested in giving us some pocket money to bob around the middle of the league.  Or is he thinking he’s going to come in, bring in millions in investment and challenge for top of the league - which would be a laugh, but even if it worked out would it really feel like the club I started supporting (don’t mean I’d chuck it, but it’d be different, right)? The middle ground between these two things of overspending someone else’s cash but not really getting anywhere sounds the riskiest scenario of all - we’ve been there. 

I’m also pretty concerned all these US/US based owners in the league will implement an NFL style road-to-the-Super Bowl league, and bring back those weird dribble penalties they trialled in the 90s.  On the other hand, US stadium food could sway me. 

3 hours ago, Ceiling Granny said:

bring back those weird dribble penalties they trialled in the 90s.

I’m all for this, they look great fun.