Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

16 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Even that game recently where he did the overlapping centre half thing KT does for Scotland was some laugh.

There are points when you can see opposition players go like "oh f**k, now what" as he's steamrollering his way towards them, somehow with the ball still at his feet. Absolutely joyous.

Then he has a heavy touch, they take possession, counter and he's out of position.

Still good fun though.

Just now, Ron Aldo said:

Sums our defence up in a way that we have a right back that's better at centre half and a centre half that's better at right back. 

You wonder what Kelly might have been good at.

1 hour ago, Ron Aldo said:

Sums our defence up in a way that we have a right back that's better at centre half and a centre half that's better at right back. 

Mugabi's successful spell at right-back under Alexander I'd put down to him playing a unique Grezza role of "right of four centre backs" rather than "right back". 

I remember his one game as a right wing-back saw a red card after a minute. I'm pretty sure we started that Scottish Cup quarter final with a back five of Mugabi - Solholm - Ojala - Lamie - McGinley. 

1 minute ago, eliphas said:

Bruce Anderson signs for Killie. 

Plenty opinions on him I'm sure amongst us all but I'd imagine we would have been in for him

Well I had a 50/50 chance of being right about where he'd end up. 

18 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Bruce Anderson signs for Killie. 

Plenty opinions on him I'm sure amongst us all but I'd imagine we would have been in for him

No doubt though it was suggested in January that Killie was his destination so we probably didn't get very far down the line.

Stevie Mallen is probably the next target we'll be linked with before he signs for St Mirren.

12 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

No doubt though it was suggested in January that Killie was his destination so we probably didn't get very far down the line.

Stevie Mallen is probably the next target we'll be linked with before he signs for St Mirren.

Aye you get the vibe that Anderson's deal was done around the time of Spittal's to Hearts, which will surely be fully confirmed in the coming days. 

I didn't really comment much when The List was announced.

Tbh, in a way I'm not really that surprised we've made offers to as many of the current squad when you look at the gaps as things stand.

Here's who's currently contracted.

lineup.png.ec1a2dc41c26d75cc7e99dce5c21dd2f.png

Contracts offered to:

• Matty Connelly
  • Stephen O'Donnell
  • Bevis Mugabi
  • Callum Slattery
  • Sam Nicholson

Having seen Wilson a couple of times I am hoping he makes a push for that left wing back position.

It may be because it was my position in the school team but I have always had an affinity with our left backs.

Joe Wark, Tom Boyd (when he was a good guy), Rab McKinnon, Steve Hammell and even Georgie Gent - we are a hot bed of left backs.

Some can be skipped over.

14 minutes ago, ropy said:

Having seen Wilson a couple of times I am hoping he makes a push for that left wing back position.

It may be because it was my position in the school team but I have always had an affinity with our left backs.

Joe Wark, Tom Boyd (when he was a good guy), Rab McKinnon, Steve Hammell and even Georgie Gent - we are a hot bed of left backs.

Some can be skipped over.

Is Wilson not ooc?

While it's not definitive, scrapping the loan with Stirling and ending up in the juniors over spring isn't exactly a ringing endorsement.

Just now, Handsome_Devil said:

Is Wilson not ooc?

While it's not definitive, scrapping the loan with Stirling and ending up in the juniors over spring isn't exactly a ringing endorsement.

He was in The List getting a years extension.

3 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Ah fair enough. Then aye, you would hope by now we at least fancy him as the back-up option.

Feels very much like this is his "prove it" year, otherwise he'll be released. Slight concern if he does and ends up like Johnston.

20 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Is Wilson not ooc?

He could only be put out on loan to the WOSL as he had already been on loan to Stirling Albion.

Don't let the level he was playing at fool you as Beith would probably hold their own against any 1st/2nd division team.

Watched him 4 times and he was their stand out player every time.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

Feels very much like this is his "prove it" year, otherwise he'll be released. Slight concern if he does and ends up like Johnston.

Tbh Kettlewell having such a magic touch he can transform Wilson from lower league kickabouts to a millionaire champion two years from now is a risk I'm willing to take.

Re contract length, I'm not convinced it's not far off guessing. Educated guessing perhaps, but still. Everyone looks at Turnbull or Johnston and understandably asks why they weren't on long-term deals but the prosaic answer is you just don't know how even the best youths will react to senior football - there's enough one-time wonderkids from us and elsewhere now playing 7s as testament to that.

2 minutes ago, santheman said:

He could only be put out on loan to the WOSL as he had already been on loan to Stirling Albion.

Don't let the level he was playing at fool you as Beith would probably hold their own against any 1st/2nd division team.

Watched him 4 times and he was their stand out player every time.

Good to hear!

Edited by Handsome_Devil