Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Hey,

I'll chime in here as a long-time reader, but first-time poster, and I didn't really feel like it was appropriate to wade into the conversation until people had a chance to read what's been proposed.  I don't want to clog up space here, but am happy to answer questions, and I also will respond to emails (erik@wildsheepcontent.com) provided that said emails aren't, "Why aren't you in a bin yet?"

As a top-line thought, I want to share that we've worked on this because we think it can help grow MFC.  And that the conditions/levers on this particular opportunity are quite difficult to figure out -- fan-ownership, valuation, investment needed, cultural fit, and our own personal hopes/desires as a family all needed to be balanced.  I will say, from our side, this a (potential) emotional investment, not a purely financial one, and so the key question for us is, "Would the Club be better off in six years with this kind of hybrid structure in place?"

If the answer is no, I'm still going to root for MFC and will join TWS.  I do also want to add that both the MFC and TWS Boards have been generous with us in trying to find common ground, and I believe those with whom I've spent time can vouch that we do care about trying to improve the Club.  So, if helpful, I'm here if there are questions I can answer and hope that the context above is helpful.

Erik

22 minutes ago, Muzz1886 said:

I'm going to guess that the WS strategic plan will be not very good.

As much I do not like the approach of the current executive board, their creation of the narrative that the Society *needs* to justify itself or show new strategic plans etc has been very effective unfortunately.

The Society made a tactical error in February by accepting the premise. I don't know why - I would guess because a largely new board finding their feet didn't quite have the confidence to tell JM immediately to do one.

The Society should point out it has literally always delivered what was required, we're a very stable fan-owned club and that it expects the professionals running the day-to-day - Caldwell, Reid, Kettlewell among others - to work on raising revenue.

Outsiders demanding the Society massively flip it's basically successful (if neglected) model to one where it regularly investing decent amounts in the annual running of the club in a matter of months is silly imho...but as I said, chapeau to the executive board on that one.

4 minutes ago, Erik Barmack said:

Hey,

I'll chime in here as a long-time reader, but first-time poster, and I didn't really feel like it was appropriate to wade into the conversation until people had a chance to read what's been proposed.  I don't want to clog up space here, but am happy to answer questions, and I also will respond to emails (erik@wildsheepcontent.com) provided that said emails aren't, "Why aren't you in a bin yet?"

As a top-line thought, I want to share that we've worked on this because we think it can help grow MFC.  And that the conditions/levers on this particular opportunity are quite difficult to figure out -- fan-ownership, valuation, investment needed, cultural fit, and our own personal hopes/desires as a family all needed to be balanced.  I will say, from our side, this a (potential) emotional investment, not a purely financial one, and so the key question for us is, "Would the Club be better off in six years with this kind of hybrid structure in place?"

If the answer is no, I'm still going to root for MFC and will join TWS.  I do also want to add that both the MFC and TWS Boards have been generous with us in trying to find common ground, and I believe those with whom I've spent time can vouch that we do care about trying to improve the Club.  So, if helpful, I'm here if there are questions I can answer and hope that the context above is helpful.

Erik

Assuming this isn't a wind up.

When were you first in contact with Jim McMahon?

10 minutes ago, Erik Barmack said:

Hey,

Erik

Netflix has gone downhill since you left.:(

1 minute ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Assuming this isn't a wind up.

When were you first in contact with Jim McMahon?

We have been looking at opportunities in Scottish Football for over a year.  But we specifically started discussions with MFC after the video went out.  E

Just now, Erik Barmack said:

We have been looking at opportunities in Scottish Football for over a year.  But we specifically started discussions with MFC after the video went out.  E

When you say we do you mean yourself and Jim McMahon? Please be clear here.

4 minutes ago, Erik Barmack said:

I will say, from our side, this a (potential) emotional investment, not a purely financial one, and so the key question for us is, "Would the Club be better off in six years with this kind of hybrid structure in place?"

If the emotional investment was the overriding aspect to this, then the requirement that supporters relinquish majority ownership of the club shouldn't be a factor. The ownership of the club is an emotional point for a lot of supporters (and has become part of our identity), but also has a clear practical purpose and giving that up is a major step that a lot won't be willing to take (and I'm not even sure the level of investment would make a difference).

Just now, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

When you say we do you mean yourself and Jim McMahon? Please be clear here.

Sorry, by "we" I mean my family.  I chatted with Derek and Jim after the video went out.  The idea that the Club could be fan-owned combined with new investment is the thing that sparked for me.  

9 minutes ago, Erik Barmack said:

Hey,

Erik

Hey Erik,

Long time, no speak.

Myself and few on here are considering setting up a crowdfunder to buy a TV production company in LA, kinda always been a dream of ours as we've always wanted "new world's to explore", we have an emotional attachment to that heady world we have no knowledge of.

Value your company, we'll offer less than half.

We'd like to pay it up over 6 years like it's an expensive house,

Do you take Klarna?

Just now, Swello said:

If the emotional investment was the overriding aspect to this, then the requirement that supporters relinquish majority ownership of the club shouldn't be a factor. The ownership of the club is an emotional point for a lot of supporters (and has become part of our identity), but also has a clear practical purpose and giving that up is a major step that a lot won't be willing to take (and I'm not even sure the level of investment would make a difference).

So, this is one of the areas that IS a bit confusing, but our thesis here is to be a minority investor, which we are.  The current share structure of the Club, as an outsider, is a bit hard to untangle, but our offer is to essentially be a 49% holder.  

17 minutes ago, Erik Barmack said:

Hey,

Erik

If we accept that this is a real account. In what business world does this make sense?

The Well Society have to commit to investing £850k over 4 years which is only £400k less than the Barmacks. In return we see our shareholding dwindle while they pick up half the club

9 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Douglas said: “Following the statement released today from the majority of the Well Society Board, I unfortunately cannot align myself to much of the content. Accordingly, I find my position of Co-Chair of the Well Society untenable, and I announce my resignation from that position with immediate effect. I also intimate my resignation from the Well Society Board at the same time.”

I hope nobody has missed, there's no mention of his place on the club board which he serves on at the behest and service of WS members.

Power grab!

5 minutes ago, Erik Barmack said:

Sorry, by "we" I mean my family.  I chatted with Derek and Jim after the video went out.  The idea that the Club could be fan-owned combined with new investment is the thing that sparked for me.  

And had you also chatted with Jim before the video went out? You see the lack of clarity in your statements here? Not lies but evasions.

it is a simple question

When did you first have contact with Jim McMahon?

1 minute ago, Vietnam91 said:

Hey Erik,

Long time, no speak.

Myself and few on here are considering setting up a crowdfunder to buy a TV production company in LA, kinda always been a dream of ours as we've always wanted "new world's to explore", we have an emotional attachment to that heady world we have no knowledge of.

Value your company, we'll offer less than half.

We'd like to pay it up over 6 years like it's an expensive house,

Do you take Klarna?

*Googles Klarna*. No, we don't take Klarna.

But I think we're talking about valuation here, and I will say it's quite difficult to do.  A production company, in some ways, faces similar difficulties around valuation -- they require cash at times, have big passion associated with it, and they can be wildly unpredictable.  We've had offers for our company, and the key question for me rarely comes down to valuation, per se, but whether two parties coming together will help make something grow.  If it doesn't, to the bin you go.

Just now, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

And had you also chatted with Jim before the video went out? You see the lack of clarity in your statements here? Not lies but evasions.

it is a simple question

When did you first have contact with Jim McMahon?

Sorry, I thought I had answered that question.  The first time I chatted with anyone at MFC was after the video went out.