Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I'm on board with the Society plan. All seems achievable and something which should already have been in place.

FWIW I'd still accept investment from EB but on the same terms as the local businesses mentioned so a small percentage holding and with a small input but no actual control. If he has fallen in love with the club as claimed and genuinely can offer expertise then it would be foolish to not leverage that. I would not have him as the owner or chairman though.

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Lukovic said:

Excited to see the excuses from the usual lot who don't read things before commenting on them.

Literally the only bit of feedback that I would give is about this. It's a brilliantly presented document but I would be tempted to put out a one-pager alongside it with the headlines for the usual lot. Not everyone will initially want to read 20+ slides and it's important that no-one has the excuse that they are unaware of what's in the plan

On the plan itself - it is an excellent piece of work and is probably the best and most serious that we've publicly seen either from the WS or the Club during the fan ownership period. Nothing being pie in the sky or unachievable is really important at this point and I think this high level plan meets that. "adding 500 season tickets" > AI Pie Recommendations every time.

I think trying to grow support within Lanarkshire organically is a key thing that has historically been hard to deliver - so breaking it into towns is a smart way of looking at it and is worth spending some money and time on IMO. Basically, some actual supporters from Lanarkshire are probably worth way more to us than some nebulous internet fans in terms of actually growing the club.

I would like to see more detail around the "business partnership" stuff as I think that is probably the most realistic way to take the financial stuff to a different level. We aren't a club from an affluent part of the country and the limit to what we can expect individuals to contribute is always going to have a ceiling.

Anyway - We now have a way forward that someone has actually written down - it's incumbent on any other offer to provide at least this level of detail if it wants to be taken seriously (3000 word screeds about arcane share purchasing processes don't count I'm afraid).

Edited by Swello

3 minutes ago, camer0n_mcd said:

Maybe I'm looking into to much but that middle paragraph looks like a very thinly veiled dig at Feely and Dickie Screenshot_20240702-1259322.thumb.png.928ad49618105181c4f8be1631e3795a.png

You'd have to ask the author ....

Marvel Studios Smile GIF by Disney+

47 minutes ago, Lukovic said:

Excited to see the excuses from the usual lot who don't read things before commenting on them.

Already saw one on FB "It's all hypothetical"

Guy answered "And Erik's proposal isn't?"

Touche

7 minutes ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

Sorry, I wasn't entirely clear there. What I don't want is for a hypothetical Facebook user who doesn't like the entirety of the Well Society plan for whatever reason (too long, too vague, no celebrities, too many/not enough pictures, whatever) to think this means that they ought therefore to vote to accept the Wild Sheep offer instead.

You'd like to think that this hypothetical Facebook user would apply the same critical reasoning to the Wild Sheep "plan" but I'm afraid that's not how it works.

Ah, yes, then aye, 100%.

Some of the Facebook folks give me the fear but I'm working on the basis there that most won't be members.

If you don't like the Society plan, get elected and change it, don't sell out the whole club in a fit of pique.

Just now, Swello said:

Literally the only bit of feedback that I would give is about this. It's a brilliantly presented document but I would be tempted to put out a one-pager alongside it with the headlines for the usual lot. Not everyone will initially want to read 20+ slides and it's important that no-one has the excuse that they are unaware of what's in the plan

I'm sure the plan is to take the information from the document and create social media posts from it and so on, making it more easily digestible for those with less time on their hands.

It was important to get the initial document out there, though. It will serve as the foundation for everything the Society does moving forward, should the membership base vote against accepting Wild Sheep Sports' offer, of course.

4 minutes ago, Swello said:

I would like to see more detail around the "business partnership" stuff as I think that is probably the most realistic way to take the financial stuff to a different level. We aren't a club from an affluent part of the country and the limit to what we can expect individuals to contribute is always going to have a ceiling.

Definitely but I think that's one of these things where you just need to trust them... there's no way they can go into detail on that without blowing their negotiating position and set lines you might wish to blur. I can't mind if they said so explicitly but it's clear if you're a business owner and you want in, call them up and they'll do their best to find a bespoke agreement which is a win win.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, David1979 said:

I'm sure the plan is to take the information from the document and create social media posts from it and so on, making it more easily digestible for those with less time on their hands.

It was important to get the initial document out there, though. It will serve as the foundation for everything the Society does moving forward, should the membership base vote against accepting Wild Sheep Sports' offer, of course.

I'm sure there is a plan for that - I would expect that the professional media team of the football club that the Well Society own will be working on helping with that that as we speak :)

Totally agree that that it is important to have it out there - and I'm pleasantly surprised that it has happened - as it makes the  complete lack of any published plan from Wild Sheep look decidedly amateur.

Edited by Swello

3 hours ago, camer0n_mcd said:

"Mohun Bagan Super Giant FC" has got to be the strangest thing to name a football club.

1 hour ago, Gallus Numpty said:

It's not even on the same planet of strangeness as Cape Coast Mysterious Ebusua Dwarfs.

We probably don’t appreciate how weird Mother Well is to the rest of the world. 

Well done to everyone involved in presenting this on behalf of TWS. Clear and concise.

Also to Jay and Graeme for the excellent pod cast. 

Great timing before any votes and getting the message across to those swithering. 

Hopefully we can move forward with achievable plans and look forward to an exciting season. 

C'mon The Well ⚽

30 minutes ago, camer0n_mcd said:

Just got to say a massive well done to Jay, Derek, Sean, Markus, Amber and Phil with this. 

8 minutes ago, Jim64 said:

Well done 👏🏻 to the well society for presenting an achievable way forward for the club.

A million times this. The new members have been tested in the fires of adversity and not found wanting.

3 minutes ago, fatcalf said:

See if the official Motherwell socials don't share this can we just go on and invade their most recent posts and put a link to the WS doc?

If the club accounts don't share this - it would be (a) petty as f**k and (b) would confirm pretty much everything that's been said on here and elsewhere about the state of the outgoing custodians

1 minute ago, Lukovic said:

Surely someone can slip the media guy a bit of money for some retweets.

He's already being slipped some money for doing that. it's known as his salary, which he's paid to do his job! 

"with over 2,400 members who currently do not make monthly contributions" that bit really surprised me, and speaks volumes to (in my opinion anyway) the really daft way the society started by asking for a ~£350 one-off donation. Reading through the plan, it really boils down to asking the members for money, which is fair enough really.

If the current income is £180k and assuming 2/3rds of the 2400 members pay the suggested £12 then thats another ~£230k income, which could be invested into the club and would be a great source of funding. Does anyone know if thats that the way the Foundation of Hearts work?

The flip side of it though is that it can look like a tax on existing supporters but if members are happy to pay it alongside actually being able to have a say on key club decisions (which is suggested in the plan "a clear definition on what merits a full Society vote") then fair enough.

The big question I have is where does the society's income currently go? Is it in the WS fund to loan to club, income to the club, what? Should point out that I'm not a member but if I knew where my membership fees were going then I would seriously consider it. Thats always been my problem since day 1.

7 minutes ago, Swello said:

If the club accounts don't share this - it would be (a) petty as f**k and (b) would confirm pretty much everything that's been said on here and elsewhere about the state of the outgoing custodians

Aye. They're really telling on themselves here.

16 minutes ago, CoF said:

We probably don’t appreciate how weird Mother Well is to the rest of the world. 

‘She’s fine thanks….’

Or commonly known as the worst football joke on earth.