Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

26 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

Quite a few injuries listed at the moment.

Any idea how long McGinn, Nicholson and Slatterly in particular are out for? 

Slattery is looking towards the end of the year / January from what I heard, think they're being deliberately cautious with him and not wanting to rush.

McGinn should be back around the start of the league season and as far as I know, Nicholson is just a niggle and is precaution that we've kept him out. 

The offending player has been told to dial back his, em, exuberant training. 

6 minutes ago, BabyReindeer said:

No, look, it’s official!!!

image.png.56ff6899f70ff4e5a996bd9ea75c8c28.png

One day she’ll resist the urge to post every single inane thought that flits across her cerebellum, but today is obviously not that day. 

I think I know her brother and we run in the same circles to be fair, 

2 minutes ago, Phillips455 said:

So, that was a pre season and a half.

Now onto the real grind of league cup competitive football.

I don't think there's been anything like it since 2002 - friendlies and signings have seemed barely relevant in the bigger picture.

However, the flip side is that having hardly paid attention to the football so far, combined with what looks like a huge win for the Society, I can hardly remember looking forward to the actual start more than now.

I went on holiday thinking “f**k all until the 22nd” - had a glance and saw a lot of pages. 

All I’ll say is that if it has been pulled, it would a *huge* thing for fan ownership - proof that it actually works in the real world when  you’ve got committed folk at the helm. But everyone who has been cheering them on throughout this needs to seriously consider doing a bit more for the cause. I will be. 

2 minutes ago, Swello said:

I went on holiday thinking “f**k all until the 22nd” - had a glance and saw a lot of pages. 

All I’ll say is that if it has been pulled, it would a *huge* thing for fan ownership - proof that it actually works in the real world when  you’ve got committed folk at the helm. But everyone who has been cheering them on throughout this needs to seriously consider doing a bit more for the cause. I will be. 

Absolutely. My mum and I have been going most weeks since 94/95, and neither of us are WS members, but we will be now.

52 minutes ago, Wellwatcher said:

Only got 5 mins of this before it cut off. The website says it is free to join but does it cost anything to hear more?

It does aye. We put the other one out for free on Patreon because it felt important to, but we've got very kind paying subscribers who sign up to... whatever the number of podcasts we do a week is, so this is on that subscription. 

So yeah, it's a subscription from £2 a month or something.

13 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Moses looks deadly in from 0-12 yards out

Natural finisher, but I have a slight concern that the term "in all competitions" might have to do some heavy lifting for him this season.

So, who's our scapegoat this year? I don't think Tom Sparrow is serious enough a signing to get that honor, so Halliday maybe?

6 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

It does aye. We put the other one out for free on Patreon because it felt important to, but we've got very kind paying subscribers who sign up to... whatever the number of podcasts we do a week is, so this is on that subscription. 

So yeah, it's a subscription from £2 a month or something.

I highly recommend the patreon. I even listen to the stuff about other teams and the lower leagues. It's partly to help with my constant homesickness, but it's good content as well. The downside is that I know a lot about overrated Hearts and Hibs players.

I want to be on it one day.

Edited by rowsdower

3 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

Natural finisher, but I have a slight concern that the term "in all competitions" might have to do some heavy lifting for him this season.

So, who's our scapegoat this year? I don't think Tom Sparrow is serious enough a signing to get that honor, so Halliday maybe?

I've not seen the pre-season games beyond the highlights but for all he seems a good finisher from being in the right place, from his cameos last season I'm not convinced he's a starter in our 3-6-1 of apparent choice.

1 minute ago, rowsdower said:

I used to be an "in all competitions" guy when thinking about goal returns, but four games against lower league opposition, Elliott Frear scoring hat-tricks and the fact we never tend to go that far, leads me to thinking that league statistics are the best measure of how a player is doing for us.

That said, hopefully a few goals in the league cup group section can give him some momentum going in to the league campaign. That said, 2 goals in 74 minutes is a very good league return so far for him.

Just now, Handsome_Devil said:

I've not seen the pre-season games beyond the highlights but for all he seems a good finisher from being in the right place, from his cameos last season I'm not convinced he's a starter in our 3-6-1 of apparent choice.

That's probably the one bit that was missing from Bair's game last season - for as well as the big man ended up doing, there were some balls put in to the box, particularly by Gent, that were dying for a poacher to get on the end of, that just wasn't his game. I don't know if that tells you a Bair-esque striker (as he is obviously off) alongside Moses would make a good front two.

17 minutes ago, Al B said:

Absolutely. My mum and I have been going most weeks since 94/95, and neither of us are WS members, but we will be now.

Aye. I’m just waiting on confirmation that the whole shitshow is done and I’m bumping up my subscription.