Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

9 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

That Tartan is the Club's; it was launched a few years ago with Sol wearing it. The dark one belongs to Dalgleish Kilts, I think. They also did a deep red/claret one called "Fir Park Dress" 20 years ago but I think that's gone, now.

Will be closer to 30 years now.  I remember wearing it as a kid at a wedding, probably 94/95ish? It was horrific as well.

The grey one from Dalgliesh was really nice.

That Tartan is the Club's; it was launched a few years ago with Sol wearing it. The dark one belongs to Dalgleish Kilts, I think. They also did a deep red/claret one called "Fir Park Dress" 20 years ago but I think that's gone, now.

Thanks for the clarification - never knew the dark one was not owned by the club. The point about the garish colour still stands though. 

It is Dalgleish Kilts. My son is getting married in Oct and is hiring the grey kilt from.them Will need to check if away top compliments the kilt to complete the wedding outfit...

3 minutes ago, Desp said:

Will be closer to 30 years now.  I remember wearing it as a kid at a wedding, probably 94/95ish? It was horrific as well.

The grey one from Dalgliesh was really nice.

Aye, Dalgeish's grey one is really smart and subtle; whereas ours as a full kilt outfit is a bit BANG HELLO I'VE ARRIVED I'M THE GROOM etc.

Another nice wee bit from Derek btw.

Not that I'm after my pound of flesh or whatever but in the aftermath of all this I was wondering about what the timeframe for the exit of the Outgoing Chairman is likely to be. Feels positive that the 6 WS board and Caldwell seem to be on the same page.

10 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Another nice wee bit from Derek btw.

Not that I'm after my pound of flesh or whatever but in the aftermath of all this I was wondering about what the timeframe for the exit of the Outgoing Chairman is likely to be. Feels positive that the 6 WS board and Caldwell seem to be on the same page.

As much as we might want them out, we can't just bin 60% of the board and chairman with nothing in place. I imagine the status quo will run for a bit yet, though if I was the WS I'd definitely be requesting someone else observe the club board meetings.

A clear structure needs to be agreed - can the WS people on the executive come from the WS board or not? Are they elected by the whole Society or appointed by the board? Can they then be rejected by the membership? Are appointments time-limited, if so can they be renewed? Do we still want eight on the board, if so do you appoint eight and bump someone if a strategic partner wants in or do you save a space? Save two? Do we want an independent chair?

All of that (and probably more, as you can tell it was just a flurry of thoughts!) needs to be settled and quite possibly codified before you can start confirming individuals.

The Society will have fresh elections in autumn and the club AGM will be February. I'd use those existing time points as references for the journey rather than creating more.

This is not a one-off, things will evolve, but taking our time to start from a well thought-out base is grudgingly advantageous to rushing, as much as I'd like to frogmarch certain folk out of FP asap.

2 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

can the WS people on the executive come from the WS board or not? Are they elected by the whole Society or appointed by the board?

I am sure the WS reps on the club bard are voted on by the WS board. but I dunno for how long etc and I think that was the issue with Dickie and Feeley just being there and doing almost SFA for the WS.

f**k knows what Dickie is playing at now. 

3 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I am sure the WS reps on the club bard are voted on by the WS board. but I dunno for how long etc and I think that was the issue with Dickie and Feeley just being there and doing almost SFA for the WS.

f**k knows what Dickie is playing at now. 

Yeah, I believe you're right.

But we essentially all relied on the 'closed club but they're good guys principle' till now and look how that's turned out...

I also don't think the six can decide this themselves - for something as fundamental as this, they can maybe propose an option but there's no doubt the whole thing will need debated, amended and approved by members at some point.

2 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

The fit looks awful. 
I mean Macron sizing is fucking awful but I doubt I'd get one of those to fit me. 

They do up to a 6XL so you will find something

1 hour ago, StAndrew7 said:

I have proudly worn the tartan tie at events but that picture of McMahon has got me second guessing myself.

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

As much as we might want them out, we can't just bin 60% of the board and chairman with nothing in place. I imagine the status quo will run for a bit yet, though if I was the WS I'd definitely be requesting someone else observe the club board meetings.

A clear structure needs to be agreed - can the WS people on the executive come from the WS board or not? Are they elected by the whole Society or appointed by the board? Can they then be rejected by the membership? Are appointments time-limited, if so can they be renewed? Do we still want eight on the board, if so do you appoint eight and bump someone if a strategic partner wants in or do you save a space? Save two? Do we want an independent chair?

All of that (and probably more, as you can tell it was just a flurry of thoughts!) needs to be settled and quite possibly codified before you can start confirming individuals.

The Society will have fresh elections in autumn and the club AGM will be February. I'd use those existing time points as references for the journey rather than creating more.

This is not a one-off, things will evolve, but taking our time to start from a well thought-out base is grudgingly advantageous to rushing, as much as I'd like to frogmarch certain folk out of FP asap.

Whilst I think fan/WS involvement is going to be fundamental to how the Club operates moving forward, the line has to be drawn somewhere in terms of input (or approval) of the WS membership.

The whole point of the WS Board is that they are the elected representatives of the membership; they're trusted by those who elected them to make the correct appointments/decisions in their roles. There comes a point when democracy has its place and then the people who are elected need to start making decisions.

Not happy with decisions/appointments by all means let them know, but we can't be running votes/referendums every time an appointment of a Director takes place. It would just lead to voter apathy because there's so many of them taking place. I think engaging with the membership is crucial and continuing that whilst it's as engaged as it is right now is key, but like I said, I think there needs to be a limit to the direct input.

I think the first thing needing sorted is to get the Exec Board numbers up to six as a minimum with appropriate WS representation on there and appoint a new chairperson, but that doesn't mean it needs to happen tomorrow.

I agree with you on the idea of an independent chairperson; it does feel like someone without direct ties to either the WS or the Club would be able to take information/proposals from "both sides" (if it ever comes to having to make contentious calls like that) and make an informed decision would be ideal.

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Absolutely.

To be clear, I wasn't expecting the Society 6 to have started cleaning house immediately. It was more a McMahon specific question given he had already announced his retirement and reminded everyone that he was doing us the favour of staying on while they were trying to sell the club out.

Like, we knew what the transition process would have been had the vote been in Barmack's favour. That was outlined in the *lengthy* statement from Chairman Jim prior to the deal being amended.

Presumably he also had an idea of how/when he'd exit in the event Barmack's offer was rejected...

Right?

8xfpng.jpg

10 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

The whole point of the WS Board is that they are the elected representatives of the membership; they're trusted by those who elected them to make the correct appointments/decisions in their roles. There comes a point when democracy has its place and then the people who are elected need to start making decisions.

Not happy with decisions/appointments by all means let them know, but we can't be running votes/referendums every time an appointment of a Director takes place. It would just lead to voter apathy because there's so many of them taking place. I think engaging with the membership is crucial and continuing that whilst it's as engaged as it is right now is key, but like I said, I think there needs to be a limit to the direct input.

Aye, I wasn't particularly for or against any of the points I listed, just saying there's a lot of them. Plus all the, you know, 'fun' part of speaking to Caldwell, making plans, finding investors, membership campaigns etc. a degree of vengeance being dealt out to certain folk might be appealing but unless you think they're going to actively sabotage things or act as some kind of counter-revolutionary fifth columnists, it's just not a priority on a to-do list that's fucking gigantic.

Personally there's a couple of things there in the future structure I feel strongly about, a membership veto of Society representatives on the club board isn't one of them (I'd have the board appoint them, if you want to time this so two-thirds or three-quarters of the Society AGM could veto, fine...but I'm not really bothered).