Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

22 minutes ago, Stevie Kirk said:

I suppose if our guy is an international then he may be classed as marquee. Buy aye it seems rather complicated.

Bottom line is if he can come up with even 8 goals a season it will be a sound investment. Like a previous poster says hopefully he can bang in headers from big Balmers throw-ins. He certainly looks busy and energetic in his highlights reel. 

I think marquee signings are for folk who break the salary cap rules. Example given was Del Piero, whose salary didn't count towards his team's overall cap. Similar to Beckham/Henry/Juan Pablo Angel/Messi/Busquets in the MLS. It doesn't impact on foreign clubs coming in and buying players as far as I can see. It's purely an administrative/financial thing for budgeting.

I enjoyed his highlights reel; lot of headers and a fair bit of bravery in some of them getting in front of players/keepers to score them. He showed some nice touches and but for better finishing, could absolutely have had double figures in assists, too.

Edited by StAndrew7

1 hour ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Listened to the Patreon podcast interviewing the guy that identified Theo and brought him to St Johnstone.

The detail and thought process was very interesting.

I presume we are following a similar model. If so it feels like AVS is a lot less of a punt than a lot of our previous signings.......

https://www.patreon.com/posts/108534256?utm_campaign=postshare_fan&utm_content=android_share

I would certainly hope that for the cash we're pretty confident...I'm just not convinced at our level spending that amount of money greatly enhances our chances of a move working out, ie buying a little more quality is not decisive compared to other factors such as how will he settle on the other side of the world with a young family etc.

The last time we speculated to accumulate was under Alexander where basically everyone welcomed the theory but the practice left a little to be desired. We probably finished up on the project - to the tune of a few hundred k I guess - when you consider performances plus that we salvaged money for Solholm, sold Woolery, got Euro money for Kelly and so on. But it's hardly the three-year return you'd have hoped for 500k-plus.

If Kettlewell is convinced this guy is the one, great, and certainly if he can repeat his magic from KvV and Bair, we're onto a very good thing indeed. I'd just tend to keep these kind of investments rare, I think over the piece we're probably more likely to get more out of spending extra money on wages and contracts across the whole of the squad, rather than individuals.

Edited by Handsome_Devil

6 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I would certainly hope that for the cash we're pretty confident...I'm just not convinced at our level spending that amount of money greatly enhances our chances of a move working out, ie buying a little more quality is not decisive compared to other factors such as how will he settle on the other side of the world with a young family etc.

The last time we speculated too accumulate was under Alexander where basically everyone welcomed the theory but the practice left a little to be desired. We probably finished up on the project - to the tune of a few hundred k I guess - when you consider performances plus that we salvaged money for Solholm, sold Woolery, got Euro money for Kelly and so on. But it's hardly the return you'd have hoped for 500k-plus.

If Kettlewell is convinced this guy is the one, great, and certainly if he can repeat his magic from KvV and Bair, we're onto a very good thing indeed. I'd just tend to keep these kind of investments rare, I think over the piece we're probably more likely to get more out of spending extra money on wages and contracts across the whole of the squad, rather than individuals.

Ironically the fee we received for KVV (who we signed on a free that summer) offset that whole window.

Edited by capt_oats

In other investment news, I see St Johnstone are doing a documentary, fresh off the back of Partick Thistle's news.

And Billy Foley is falling out with everyone at Hibs...

'Exploring new worlds' does seem awfully familiar at times eh? 

Just now, MurrayWell said:

In other investment news, I see St Johnstone are doing a documentary, fresh off the back of Partick Thistle's news.

I had a laugh earlier when I remembered that today was supposed to be the day that the poll closed.

12 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I would certainly hope that for the cash we're pretty confident...

I'm not convinced the £260k is the actual transfer fee in all of this; as always it's "a deal worth" I imagine that'll include wages, agent fees etc.

No idea of the make-up of that at all like, but the actual fee we're paying for him directly is likely to be less than what's been quoted, I would guess.

The biggest money drain of Alexander's time is Slattery, even more when you consider he's been available for about two thirds of his time at FP.

It's not just the 260k for Stama, it's his wage too, combine them and you're looking at two 4k a week free agents which would immediately make them top earners in this team. I'd be surprised if an Australian looking to make the next move up vs 2/3 guys in the UK was a discussion that wasn't had.

Ketts hasn't got much wrong on development. His recruitment has only been lacking on securing adequate defenders last season and Oli Shaw, both of which I'm happy to put down to being priced of his targets at the 11th hour, which you hope won't be as much of an issue now.

All this focus is surprising as Balmer seemingly arrived for a 6 figure transfer too.

Edited by Vietnam91

10 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Ironically the fee we received for KVV (who we signed on a free that summer) offset that whole window.

Ha, aye...time will tell how this goes. Though tbh if it wasn't going to screw the wage structure and upend the dressing room, the simplest way to make money on a 250k investment is probably just wiring it straight to Miller for another contract extension.

3 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

I'm not convinced the £260k is the actual transfer fee in all of this; as always it's "a deal worth" I imagine that'll include wages, agent fees etc.

No idea of the make-up of that at all like, but the actual fee we're paying for him directly is likely to be less than what's been quoted, I would guess.

There's no way that figure will include wages. if we consider even 2.5k a week on a reported three-year contract, that alone isnt a kick in the arse off 400k. Agent fees is more plausible and perhaps some of the transfer fee is performance based rather than up front.

2 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

There's no way that figure will include wages. if we consider even 2.5k a week on a reported three-year contract, that alone isnt a kick in the arse off 400k. Agent fees is more plausible and perhaps some of the transfer fee is performance based rather than up front.

Aye, fair points! I assume there'll be a relocation package involved, too.

10 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

That was my assumption.

I mean it wasn't that long ago we were apparently trying to sign that boy from Dundalk on a deal that consisted entirely of performance based clauses. https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/dundalk-knock-back-motherwell-bid-32951767

Like, I have no doubt that £260k will be the fee and there will be a decent wedge up front. The laddie was their top scorer and record breaking to boot so they're presumably not letting him go for a bag of balls but equally I'd imagine there will be a chunk of it is performance based.

I suppose what I'm getting at is that I think that will be the fee but there's a fair chance that it'll be structured in an entirely manageable way.

Edited by capt_oats

8 minutes ago, Cedrics Mighty Well Army said:

260K????

Do you realise how many Oli Shaws we could have bought for that money?

It’s still less than a “Henegan” which is our usual metric of arithmetic. 

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

I hate this weird period of "knowing" we've signed a bloke and waiting for the photos as proof.

You're a moody b*****d.

On 21/07/2024 at 16:13, MurrayWell said:

I'm into it, decided he'll be class for us. 

I know some folk will be worried about A League signings after Danzaki, but worth remembering all the stats and reports said he was absolutely pish before we signed him. 

Stamatelpoulos actually looks like a great fit for us based on the data folk are sharing. 

This is a fantastic signing.  I have no idea if he’s any good,  but there are only two possible outcomes: 1. He’s excellent and you flog him to Bolton for silly money.  Or 2. He scores three goals in six months and goes back to Australia on loan at Christmas before getting the  “mutually agreed” treatment.

Edit: see also those Mexican guys Dundee signed.   

Edited by Savage Henry

58 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

I don't think I would necessarily even watch a documentary series about Motherwell - the chances of me tuning into a doc about St Johnstone or Partick Thistle (no harm to either of them) would be close to zero (and I would expect the feeling to be mutual).

I think the tinpottery/realness of lower league Scottish Fitba generally would be quite good fun as a series as players/managers at that level probably haven't been media trained to be as mind numbingly boring as Premiership equivalents. I've loved what AVFTT have done with that in various ways - and I could see a fly on the wall thing could be nice.

8 minutes ago, Desp said:

You're a moody b*****d.

My mood is fine.

You know fine well I love a weird moan. Makes me happy.