Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

The drop off in terms of quality from Miller to the rest is incredible, Wilson was by far the worst player on the park, looked totally out of his depth and devoid of confidence. Wells added a bit when he came on but I can't for the life of me understand why Kettlewell loves the 1 up top so much - it doesn't work. I get SOD is like marmite with our support but I'm still firmly in the 'not good enough' camp.

We're through to the next round but we absolutely don't deserve it after that performance.

Wilson was atrocious.  I’m genuinely astonished at how bad he was - Seddon can’t be any worse.

Casey was honking today as well, although I suspect it will be Blaney who would drop out for Balmer longer term.

Wells looked alright - enough to deserve more of a chance - but we desperately need someone who can do the job of Spittal.  

Whether that is Nicholson or not we don’t show much else otherwise…

Enough to put a gnome off his beer.

And that bloody commentator - had since this time yesterday to do his maths then spent most of the second half trying to work out the permutations and continually getting them wrong.

Away to Aberdeen, then?

My calmness about pre-season(ish) will be restored in due course but bloody hell, that was awful. Defence a shambles, almost no midfield and every striker shite.

Tenner on County seems a wise investment.

Thistle will be absolutely kicking themselves but also only have themselves to blame...four or five golden chances and hit the target once iirc.

Just back, thank god that was only £12 because I would have felt robbed if I had to pay league prices. The amount of times we played safe is ridiculous so many pass backs to defence when so many players were open for a pass forward is getting ridiculous now. Safety first seems to be the tactics so far in the cup. Absolutely no desire to take the game to the opposition. I thought maybe we would try to hit on the break but we never even tried that.

At one point we had the back line shouting to the manager what formation to play when Kaleta came on as they didn't have a clue.

Praying that's nothing like our tactics, formation and team going into the league season because that was eye bleedingly awful to watch.

Partick Thistle No 3 was a joy to watch at times. So many times he ran at our defence and ghosted past them like they were not even there.

Edited by Well Well

We were as bad as the ref today, woeful.

Crazy how we played with a defensive, safety first, approach and still had to rely on thistle missing multiple sitters.

Edited by rowsdower

4 minutes ago, Well Well said:

Just back, thank god that was only £12 because I would have felt robbed if I had to pay league prices. The amount of times we played safe is ridiculous so many pass backs to defence when so many players were open for a pass forward is getting ridiculous now. Safety first seems to be the tactics so far in the cup. Absolutely no desire to take the game to the opposition. I thought maybe we would try to hit on the break but we never even tried that.

Praying that's nothing like our tactics, formation and team going into the league season because that was eye bleedingly awful to watch.

That would mean trying something different which I'm not convinced Kettlewell will do. 

That was genuinely appalling, a pathetic performance. Kettlewell's system is brutal and he hasn't bothered to sign anyone that allows us to change it. Not only that, but he appears to have signed players who actually don't suit the system he's so wedded too. Absolutely shocking.

I've said before there is a lot to like about Kettlewell, he's clearly good at getting the most out of players and cares about what he does, but tactically I'm not having this pish. So much was wrong with that today that there's not much point in running through it all. 

I don't like being negative, but that today was atrocious. We're through and actually have a favourable draw, and again that's probably not our best XI. But alarm bells should be ringing at how abject a display that was.