Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

18 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Just since we're looking up ex-players, Gent is apparently on the verge of a permanent move to Barnsley.

Saw that.

Wasn't sure if it was just coming from random Twitter accounts but I see the source is the journo covering Rovers for the local press so I guess it's accurate

Not that I was expecting him to come back or anything...

2d8064a706a61eb392bc0f59e7373be2.jpg

Edited by capt_oats

What are we going to do with the goalie position?  Ox deserves a go but what is the arrangement with West Ham? I would be content with them each getting a run of 5 games then make a decision from there.

53 minutes ago, Wellwatcher said:

£33 for away fans st Fir Park for a Cat A game. Or as a home fan you could treat yourself to a seat in the POD (Main Stand) for the same price. Hopefuly you will get a seat with back on it with the added bonus of concrete steps that collapse under weight so watch out for people almost falling on you. Mind the gap between the seats as they are very tight. Another joy is a visit to the toilet where the urinals flushing water can splash you and the wall sinks that helpfully keep the floor clean by leaking water on the floor.

But the view is the best in the stadium. If you want to luxuriate head to the Hunter for executive toilets and loads of room between the seats - loads of money has been spent there so enjoy.

You forgot about Joe Efford’s face staring back at you in the POD south end urinals. 

30 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Saw that.

Wasn't sure if it was just coming from random Twitter accounts but I see the source is the journo covering Rovers for the local press so I guess it's accurate

Not that I was expecting him to come back or anything...

Yeah, there was no chance of him coming back. Tbh I'm surprised Blackburn aren't at least giving him a run through August to see if he can contribute to the squad. Remarkably they seem to be relying on Vale in pre-season, much to the concern of their fans, curious to see how that goes...he's surely nowhere near the standard they'll require.

55 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Just since we're looking up ex-players, Gent is apparently on the verge of a permanent move to Barnsley.

That makes me sad. 

More money etc but what a non event of a move/club. If he’d signed for us we could have guaranteed a move to Austria, France or whatever within 12 months. 

cracking wee player. 

What do we realistically think Miller will go for? 

I've had a few cans and my gut feeling is that he'll go for 2.5m+ but not quite breach Turnbull's 3.25m. 

But then again, I dunno what the market is truly like now.

5 million would be ball tingling stuff. 

11 minutes ago, superwellfan said:

I've had a few cans and my gut feeling is that he'll go for 2.5m+ but not quite breach Turnbull's 3.25m. 

If he was to go just now as a 17 year old with 1 season of first team football under his belt, I think most clubs would be reluctant to pay more than £2 million. 

Another season (or 2 if we're being optimistic) where he keeps improving and we could maybe start asking for silly money. 

I don't know if I'm getting old, cold, unsentimental or what, but I wasn't that bothered about David Turnbull going to Celtic and I'm not that bothered by where Lennon Miller goes next. My main concern is us capitalising on our talent and getting the biggest transfer fee that we can. Obviously it would be nice if he went to a club we could want to win etc, but it's honestly not something I lose sleep over. That said, in getting the biggest transfer fee possible, that probably rules out Rangers anyway.

6 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I don't know if I'm getting old, cold, unsentimental or what, but I wasn't that bothered about David Turnbull going to Celtic and I'm not that bothered by where Lennon Miller goes next. My main concern is us capitalising on our talent and getting the biggest transfer fee that we can. Obviously it would be nice if he went to a club we could want to win etc, but it's honestly not something I lose sleep over. That said, in getting the biggest transfer fee possible, that probably rules out Rangers anyway.

Completely agree with this. If he's going to go (which he obviously is), I simply want him to go to the highest bidder. Obviously you'd like to see the boy develop, (and to do that I think he'd be best taking his chances going abroad should that option arise). However, if Cowdenbeath suddenly acquired a billionaire owner and were willing to chuck us 5 mill, I'd just as happily wave him off there. When they're gone they're gone, it's how those still on our books perform that matters. 

Gurkha Palace didn't disappoint, of course. 

For anyone here who is a Well Society 1886 member, hop in your private jet, and fly down to Farnborough Airport. The restaurant is literally 50 metres from the airport boundary.....

Edited by Dan Electro

37 minutes ago, superwellfan said:

I don't think we'll sell him this summer from what has been implied about his desire to play - he seems a young man with a plan.

But if we were to sell now, I would be looking for Turnbull money to be offered before even answering the email to start negotiating. Essentially it's a calculation of will he gain more in value from another season, hopefully injury free, than he loses in going from two years on his contract to one, with a non-zero chance he completely falls off a cliff for whatever reason or suddenly demands to leave.

Previously I thought it wasn't worth risking he would be worth more in 12 months - he's already physically developed which is a big jump at his age - but having seen the Bair fee, from only two concrete offers, I've changed my mind.

So unless someone offers silly money - by our standards - I wouldn't be picking up the phone till this time next year. I'm now very confident that another season plus the surely inevitable desire from big fish to get him will see him become our record transfer, so long as we hold our nerve and his current attitude persists.

Edit to add ofc we've now idea if a fee was specified when he rather generously signed his deal to 2026...

Edited by Handsome_Devil

Sounds a bit mental, but £4 million plus a sell on.

I look at the transfer market at present and it seems to a lot of the big clubs its a "Potential" market. With so many young players moving for big fee's. Motherwell will need to try captalise on that and the sell on could be vital in the long run.

One of the SPFL non old firm clubs will sell someone off down south with a sell on and make a major gain from it - example Hibs nearly did with McGinn. (Like Maidenhead with Max Kilman's move)

Edited by 21maxwell

I think it would need to be Silly Money for Miller if he went now, and not just for the best deal/we can get more when he fires in a few free kicks/he can develop further. But simply if Miller went now who TF would we get to replace him? Ketts has been building a team around him and by all accounts he is expected to be the standout player of the season and will probably leave with every player of the month award and maybe even every player of the year award. Ketts knew in advance Bair was going and had months to work on our new unpronounceable strikers, you can't sell Lennon less than 7 days before our first match no matter how long he has left in the window. Will he go for 2-3mil+ next year, probably, but he's worth another 1-2 on top of that to us right now.

Also, signed up to The Well Society last night. Do you need to send an email? And how long before I get a vote on the colour of the curtains now I'm an OwnerTM?

12 minutes ago, AnderooMFC said:

Also, signed up to The Well Society last night. Do you need to send an email? And how long before I get a vote on the colour of the curtains now I'm an OwnerTM?

I sent an email confirming my details etc. when I signed up last month. Things might take a while as I believe Sally is snowed under with lots of people joining and restarting/upping their contributions.

27 minutes ago, 21maxwell said:

One of the SPFL non old firm clubs will sell someone off down south with a sell on and make a major gain from it - example Hibs nearly did with McGinn. (Like Maidenhead with Max Kilman's move)

Totally agree on this. It's a pretty random variable but the way fees fluctuate down there after one good season from a player means someone could easily make about £10m+ from a sell on.  Also find the McGinn scenario really funny as it fucked over Hibs and St Mirren.

Tell you what, County doing some impressive bits of business. I really rate the lad Hale and now they have signed Chilvers from Colchester who looks a player. 

Think we could be in for a tough one on Saturday tbh.