Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

5 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

The chances of any manager lasting 5 years is absolutely nil.

Either they are good enough and get a move to a bigger club or they are shite and get binned. To be Motherwell manager for 5 years just isn't going to happen.

Stuart McCall was probably the closest we got to that and he should have moved himself on.

I agree it's unlikely but I don't think it's impossible - you just need to show faith that a poor spell can be salvaged and your manager can learn from mistakes he's made with you rather than bulletting him on the hope a new manager will learn from the mistakes he's just made with someone else.

You can obviously never be certain with counter-factuals but there are a wad of teams on their third or fourth manager in three or four years who must wonder whether they'd have been better off to accept a bad season and rebuild rather than continually rolling the dice hoping for an instant solution.

Anyway, my interest is not literally five years, three or four would be progress, it's about breaking the cycle we're currently in and some folk are clearly already pressing to continue. The phrase about the definition of insanity springs to mind.

18 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

To be clear though, absolutely with folk on the whole stacking the squad with injury prone players then management being shocked when they get injured. It's a ridiculous situation we find ourselves in and Kettlewell, sports science and recruitment have to carry some of the blame, rather than it just always being bad luck. 

Very much this..  Often when you pick things up in the bargain bin, they turn out not to be such a bargain. Especially if they don't even work !

Lessons NOT being learned here...

I canny wait until we get to the end of the transfer window (maybe a bit after) and I am either massively wrong on Kettlewell or others join me in thinking he's a clown. 

Also, looks like we have sold around 400 or so tickets for the Rangers.

I'm guessing since it's just a A4 sheet printed off and they have written a number on it in the 400s. Who knows. I'm only even going since it's at Hampdem. If it was at ibrox ornif the 2nd away game is at either, I wouldn't be going.

10 minutes ago, Phillips455 said:

Also, looks like we have sold around 400 or so tickets for the Rangers.

I'm guessing since it's just a A4 sheet printed off and they have written a number on it in the 400s. Who knows. I'm only even going since it's at Hampdem. If it was at ibrox ornif the 2nd away game is at either, I wouldn't be going.

Remember your binoculars for that decrepit shitehole. 

12 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I canny wait until we get to the end of the transfer window (maybe a bit after) and I am either massively wrong on Kettlewell or others join me in thinking he's a clown. 

Rhys McCabe will be your new manager in a few months. 

Kettlewell is the 3rd longest serving Premiership manager behind just Robbo at St Mirren and McInnes at Killie. 

Out of the 15 players we used at the weekend Kettlewell has signed or given a contract to 14 of them (Blaney being the outlier) so it's now 'his team' and 'his players'

Having spent decent money this window and only having a year left on his contract (Unless Ex-chairman Jim has given us a secret parting gift) and very little credit in the bank anymore, this season is very much sink or swim for Kettlewell.

I hope we don’t end up in a Kettlewell, good coach, awful manager chat that last reared its head 15 years ago with Jim Gannon, good scout, shite manager.

From a business point of view he has a lot of fuel in the tank. He got us £500k plus bonus for Kev and a reported £1.6m plus addons for Bair. No other manager has done that with non-nurtured talent or even came close.

He must be cursing his bad luck. He did say in Feb injuries amassed till the were mostly freak in nature and it seems a few this summer are in the same vein. But also stuff that should I be 3 weeks out seem to be 6 weeks.

On top of everything else we’re gonna be super cautious about bringing anyone back, probably looking to give them an extra fortnight.

This freak injury stuff has been running for long enough that I find it hard to accept that it's all a coincidence. Something in our process/practices is off.

Saying that, signing people with known injury issues does not help.

6 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

This freak injury stuff has been running for long enough that I find it hard to accept that it's all a coincidence. Something in our process/practices is off.

Saying that, signing people with known injury issues does not help.

I mean, just for a bit of balance.

It feels like you're seeing an increasing number of injuries across the board these days.

Like, absolutely agree signing players who are coming off the back of long term injuries (eg: Callachan) feels like an unnecessary risk but equally the increasingly quick turnaround between seasons can't be helping (IMO).

10 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

I don’t know if the kerb in front of the POD would allow Van Der Gaag’s Lambo sufficient clearance.

I’d come out and build him a ramp myself if it sealed the deal. 

59 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I mean, just for a bit of balance.

It feels like you're seeing an increasing number of injuries across the board these days.

Like, absolutely agree signing players who are coming off the back of long term injuries (eg: Callachan) feels like an unnecessary risk but equally the increasingly quick turnaround between seasons can't be helping (IMO).