Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

6 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

Apparently we had a trialist playing for us against Everton. This guy:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tawanda_Maswanhise

As for Watt, don’t really care how he left before but as others have said the concern would be if he’s still able to make an impact at this level. Given the nature of our situation we may not be able to be too picky though, so it would probably be a thumbs up from me, hoping he comes back with a point to prove.  

Can't be. He's a winger.

25 minutes ago, camer0n_mcd said:

FWIW, the way he left doesn't make any difference to me football fan are fickle, myself included. My problem with it is I don't think he's a premiership player anymore, add that with the fact he seems to fall out with managers all the time (including allegedly 3/4 in his time at Dundee United) I think it's a disaster waiting to happen.

Not sure I agree with that. 

Watt is still only 30 and has more ability than most at this level. IF he’s fit and motivated, there’s absolutely no doubt(for me) he could still more than do a decent job.

In terms of fitness, he played over 40 games for Utd last season no bother- registering 15 goals and 9 assists in the process. In terms of motivation, he’s out of contract this summer and must know at his age he’s probably only got one more big contract in him. So he’ll need to produce the goods this season if he wants it.

Not convinced it’ll happen like but if we’re only taking on a percentage of his wage till the end of the season, I honestly don’t think it’d be the worst signing. 

He does seem to be a bit of a weirdo but a fit and motivated Tony Watt undoubtedly improves us, even ignoring the current injury list. He carried the team almost singlehandedly at times during his last spell with the game that sticks in my mind being the 1-0 win over Dundee Utd in the pissing rain - he was everywhere that night and scored an absolute worldy to win it. 

Obviously it'll all come down to cash (if there's even any truth in the rumours) but if he's even at 75%-80% of the player he was last time then he'll improve us massively in linking the midfield and attack. 

Welcome back Tony.  

Edited by dezz

23 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Watt is still only 30 and has more ability than most at this level. IF he’s fit and motivated, there’s absolutely no doubt(for me) he could still more than do a decent job.

In terms of fitness, he played over 40 games for Utd last season no bother- registering 15 goals and 9 assists in the process. In terms of motivation, he’s out of contract this summer and must know at his age he’s probably only got one more big contract in him. So he’ll need to produce the goods this season if he wants it.

That's a very fair assessment but the IF you mention really needs to be adjusted to size 72, put in bold and probably turned to flashing red for good measure.

There's a reason despite his talent he'd never done it anywhere consistently before us (and then in the championship last season). And United, having got that rare good season, goals, partnership with Moult etc out of him, still basically ditched him this summer.

I always caution against trying to make judgements based on character or motivation you can't truly know but to ignore that for a minute, Watt strikes me as someone who loves - absolutely off the chart loves - playing at football without necessarily loving being a professional footballer. It's understandable that not everyone will like the discipline of it...in this case perhaps having to stay up front and run channels rather than dropping deep to do stuff which looks nice but, 40 yards from goal, is largely harmless.

The game against United at FP has already been mentioned but you've never seen anyone happier to be playing football in a swimming pool, it was like watching a joyous kid having fun while knowing he's the best of the 22 out there.

We've signed various players recently who were a risk injury wise, Watt would be a risk attitude wise instead. Worth a big gamble? Definitely not. A small gamble? I don't know but I've got a feeling that says maybe.

Edited by Handsome_Devil

2 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I think it was tweeted that it used to be loaned to the club but the owner is now looking to sell (there are another three to come or also available though JM's is the only medal from a player). You would certainly expect the club to have expressed an interest in a purchase, why a deal couldn't be done I've no idea. I suspect we could have a lot of fun debating the philosophical merits of value and worth...but tbh I've no idea if 15k for this is an absolute bargain or daylight robbery 🙂

The seller has been trying to offload it for a while and it has previously been on an auction site. It has been brought to the club's attention in the past but they're not willing to pay the dosh for it. 

I'm not sure of the full story behind it but I think the family of Willie Kilmarnock had donated his Scottish Cup Winners medal and a few other items of value and it was found in a box just lying in the South Stand.

I think it's only recently with the heritage guys that things are getting more organised, just a shame they don't have the cash to add it to the collection.

7 minutes ago, Cloontang said:

The seller has been trying to offload it for a while and it has previously been on an auction site. It has been brought to the club's attention in the past but they're not willing to pay the dosh for it. 

I'm not sure of the full story behind it but I think the family of Willie Kilmarnock had donated his Scottish Cup Winners medal and a few other items of value and it was found in a box just lying in the South Stand.

I think it's only recently with the heritage guys that things are getting more organised, just a shame they don't have the cash to add it to the collection.

Ah, that is a shame...I'd have assumed stuff like that would fit easily into the display cases in the Centenary somehow.

£15k in the grand scheme of things is nothing to us for what seems like a unique piece of our history...but I could also imagine that, club itself apart, there simply isn't a viable market to sell it. At which point it's hard to say the club is wrong for waiting for the price to drop.

41 minutes ago, dezz said:

He carried the team almost singlehandedly at times during his last spell with the game that sticks in my mind being the 1-0 win over Dundee Utd in the pissing rain - he was everywhere that night and scored an absolute worldy to win it. 

Also, nutmegging c***s left and right and sliding about gleefully in puddles - I'd have that Tony Watt back, if he still exists.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

20 minutes ago, Cloontang said:

Could the Well Society purchase it? 😬 

On the subject of the Well Society - sad that I can’t attend in person. It will try to join the AGM via Zoom as on holiday in Turkey with family. 

Not convinced with network strength but hopefully all works ok. Annoyingly it’ll probably hinder my chances, and understandably so - but was booked months ago so nothing I could do about it sadly. 

If any questions or you’d like to know my thoughts on anything -please feel free to ask!

I know you can't ignore Tony Watt acting like Tony Watt, but I reckon if we were looking at bringing in someone else who had 22 goal contributions (13 goals, 9 assists, 36 apps) in the Championship, who also had good Premiership experience, folk would probably be pretty happy about it.

For comparison Dylan Easton, who was briefly linked, is the same age as Watt and had 11 goal contributions last season in the same league (8 goals 3 assists, 34 apps), folk seemed to be quite interested and generally positive about him when we were linked, albeit not doing cartwheels about it. 

Said it last night, if we were getting Watt with a point to prove, given the circumstances, he might be able to do us a turn. Above stats don't necessarily remove question marks over him, but we're probably hugely limited in terms of markets we're looking at now. 

Edited by MurrayWell

1 hour ago, Casagolda said:

Not sure I agree with that. 

Not convinced it’ll happen like but if we’re only taking on a percentage of his wage till the end of the season, I honestly don’t think it’d be the worst signing. 

I am not sure about that. 

I'd love the old Tony Watt back. He seemed hungry and seemed to enjoy his football and time here. Then he moved on. 

Not sure we'd get anywhere near that guy. 

12 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I'd love the old Tony Watt back. He seemed hungry and seemed to enjoy his football and time here. Then he moved on. 

Aye, Watt has had one good season at this level, the other 10 years or so in his career he's been a journeyman jobber.

I'm not convinced he will ever recreate the form he had under Grezza and as he gets older it becomes less and less likely he can recreate it.

37 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Dunno like, did you see the nick of some of the forwards getting minutes in the Scottish Premiership this weekend…

A lot of them only get a game cause they’re big laddies who work hard and are a ‘handful’. Which is evidently enough to get you a gig in Scottish football, even if you canny trap a bag of cement. 

Like I said and I stand by it, in terms of natural ability I think Watt’s got more than most at this level and more than what we could probably otherwise afford. It’s his attitude and application that’s always held him back but that’s why he was at Fir Park in the first place. 

It certainly wasn’t an issue during his first stint and a jilted Tony Watt, with a point to prove and a new contract to play for is imho an interesting proposition-especially if someone else is footing part of the bill.  

2 hours ago, Londonwell said:

Apparently we had a trialist playing for us against Everton. This guy:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tawanda_Maswanhise

He looks... interesting on WyScout?

Limited clips, but seems to play on the last man as a centre-forward for Leicester U-23s, but more as a winger for Zimbabwe, which is interesting because his crossing looks worse than mine.

I'd also re-sign Tony. 

It might not add up given his purple patch was under Grezza but I have always wondered how if that man had one ounce of man management skill in his body Watt might have stayed.

14 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

He looks... interesting on WyScout?

Limited clips, but seems to play on the last man as a centre-forward for Leicester U-23s, but more as a winger for Zimbabwe, which is interesting because his crossing looks worse than mine.

I'd also re-sign Tony. 

I see he does backflips.