Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Managing to amass a squad of players that are so dysfunctional, literally, that you have to go cap in hand to 'The Rat' should have every one of our custodians thoroughly ashamed of themselves. 

If we don’t have a redemption interview with Tony set within his Chicken coop by the time this week’s out then our social media output really has lost it’s way.  

Oor Tony is definitely saying all the right things in terms of #narrative and it's interesting to see the comments and likes on his IG post  or more specifically who they're from (hint: lots of ex-Motherwell players).

Also a giggle to find out that Robert Snodgrass is Watt's agent given the whole palaver with Hammell.

f**k it...I'm all in on this.

Edited by capt_oats

The Watt situation at United is curious. 

He was punted out to St Mirren on loan by Goodwin in our relegation season to then come back to us following season and did pretty well especially towards the end, banged in a few goals to help us win the league. He was also made vice captain and captained the team a fair amount considering Docherty's injury issues. He praised Goodwin in the media more than once and Goodwin praised Watt for how he has been helping the youth players in particular at United so i'm unsure where this fallout has derived from all of a sudden. This year, we have decided to go with a completely new system and it appears Goodwin wants to rid the club of Watt's wages to help fund new signings and perhaps he thinks he doesn't suit his new system. He came on towards the end of the game against  Stenhousemuir in the LC and it was embarrassing watching him just walking around the pitch disinterested. 

The problem we found with Watt was that he was always shifted out to the left and was never the central striker in his time at us apart from the odd game. I always thought he performed better when he was more central as when he was played as the wide forward, he just continually slowed the game down, no pace to go past a player so would go down easy at every opportunity and flung his arms up complaining to the ref. Now that we have Trapanowski in his position, it's hoenstly night and date and you can see why Goodwin decided to get rid. 

I still think he will be a decent signing for you guys though if he can screw nut.

Edited by Butters Scotch

37 minutes ago, one m in Motherwell said:

Re. the algorithm and its all pervasive reach into our daily lives, I see that our previous transformational investor has made the jump into baked goods.

On the Watt front, I wasn't keen when this rumour first emerged but f**k it, given we have about three and a half fit players we may as well roll the dice.

IMG_4180.JPEG

I like the sound of that.

5 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

The problem we found with Watt was that he was always shifted out to the left and was never the central striker

I hope we play him centrally. 

Honestly wouldn't be opposed to trying him out in behind the striker🤷‍♂️

19 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

You'd imagine we're still looking to add a midfielder? I know folk have said we have a good few, but the majority are broken and Tony Watt is not a midfielder. 

15 minutes ago, camer0n_mcd said:

I wouldn't be against that either, still leaves us needing an actual midfielder as an option though. Of the seven senior midfielders we have listed, three are injured long-term and one is a project (Sparrow). 

Edited by MurrayWell

6 hours ago, camer0n_mcd said:

I'd guess we'd use him in the same sort of area he played for #Grezza in his 433 (except we'll be in our 3421 variation) being asked to do something along the lines of what Jack Vale was doing last season?

As it stands we're probably something like this just now?

Absolutely gone at these injuries btw.

lineup.png.49a4ba5c586b206fba206d45e5c9b671.png

Edited by capt_oats

1 minute ago, MurrayWell said:

I wouldn't be against that either, still leaves us needing an actual midfielder as an option though. Of the seven senior midfielders we have listed, three are injured long-term and one is a project. 

Watt playing there might well allow Miller to play in his actual position. I'd agree that we could do with a new midfielder in, even if it's just short term.

*Cough, cough* Alex Gorrin.

6 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I'd guess we'd use him in the same sort of area he played for #Grezza in his 433 (except we'll be in our 3421 variation) being asked to do something along the lines of what Jack Vale was doing last season?

As it stands we're probably something like this just now?

Absolutely gone at these injuries btw.

lineup.png.26ce5a9b83aace3dc57a0d4a8a500597.png

That's sorta what I had in my head. Hadn't update this in a while and laughed hysterically at the amount of times I had to type (inj) next to everyones names 

*McGinn in for Casey, I'm to lazy to change it.

Screenshot_20240813-1440122.thumb.png.5c56490f3ddc4ce58ad9fe41f72f524f.png

I think Watt's played with more of our current squad at other clubs- Gordon, Callachan (St Johnstone) and Nicholson (Hearts)- than at Motherwell (just Slattery and SOD if I'm right?) He's only been away two years :lol:

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

35 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Oor Tony is definitely saying all the right things in terms of #narrative and it's interesting to see the comments and likes on his IG post  or more specifically who they're from (hint: lots of ex-Motherwell players).

Also a giggle to find out that Robert Snodgrass is Watt's agent given the whole palaver with Hammell.

f**k it...I'm all in on this.

Tony Watt day -the day he broke the Internet.