Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Dunno if anyone cares about pass maps etc., but made this and wondered about Miller. Are all those passes into the box from wide free kicks? Might need to change things if they are as I don't think they should be.

GV7tm7GWAAA0rBd.thumb.png.ae5ddc64d80ff8627571a07b09846823.png

9 hours ago, camer0n_mcd said:

Just the 4 days till the end of the transfer window, it was interesting to hear Ketts mention that he wants one or two more signings.

Add that to the Vale/Kouassi talk a few days back. I suspect that we'll see some movement happening in the near future albeit these things can collapse very quickly, a striker and a midfielder would be my guess due to Kettlewell newfound obsession with strikers and us being light in the midfield.

I noticed that clip the other day and I thought it was quite interesting as he seemed to be alluding to the idea that it’d be loans or short term deals that we’d be aiming for in so much as he’s talking about being able to cover our injuries.

It felt relevant to this post from @Handsome_Devil yesterday:

22 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

This week with the window closing will be intriguing. We surely have enough bodies that we don't need more permanent cover, will we fancy pushing the boat out on 'quality'? Or do we find a loan or two till January to keep bigger splashes for January?

I think Wilson is well and truly off the loan list (though I'm not convinced he was ever on it) while Ferrie and Wells will surely be wished all the best for some game time. 

After 18 months or whatever it’s been that Kettlewell has been in the job I definitely find him harder to get a read on in terms of what ‘profile’ of player he wants than someone like Robinson who was always quite explicit but another forward and a midfielder (even a short term Ryan Jack situation if he’s still hanging around Dalziel Park) would do me.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Dunno if anyone cares about pass maps etc., but made this and wondered about Miller. Are all those passes into the box from wide free kicks? Might need to change things if they are as I don't think they should be.

GV7tm7GWAAA0rBd.thumb.png.ae5ddc64d80ff8627571a07b09846823.png

Looks like both the goals are on his map, aye. Couldn't tell you the others but there's probably another couple of set pieces in there. 

48 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

After 18 months or whatever it’s been that Kettlewell has been in the job I definitely find him harder to get a read on in terms of what ‘profile’ of player he wants than someone like Robinson who was always quite explicit but another forward and a midfielder (even a short term Ryan Jack situation if he’s still hanging around Dalziel Park) would do me.

Aye and the fact he suddenly abandoned the no wingers plan by signing one to universal acclaim after 10 minutes adds to that. 

Jack doesn't need signed by Friday obviously but I always feel the 'just here training' thing is nonsense...by definition it's a trial even if neither party phrases it like that.

Meanwhile, I wonder where KVV will end up...fiver on St Mirren for me.

56 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I’ll take that bet…. Won’t think it will be anywhere in Scotland that’s for sure…

3 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

I’ll take that bet…. Won’t think it will be anywhere in Scotland that’s for sure…

Noticed talk of it over on the St Mirren thread a while back but Scott Burns was reporting yesterday that they were after him.

1 minute ago, camer0n_mcd said:

Noticed talk of it over on the St Mirren thread a while back but Scott Burns was reporting yesterday that they were after him.

Fair f**ks to them. However I would be  very surprised if he came back to Scotland. 

If anyone can get him to screw the nut then I think Robbo could but he would have a task on his hands. 

7 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

Fair f**ks to them. However I would be  very surprised if he came back to Scotland. 

If anyone can get him to screw the nut then I think Robbo could but he would have a task on his hands. 

Why? I'd have thought the partner and new(ish) baby situation would have made Scotland the obvious target for him? If she/they weren't able/willing to move to Holland, presumably the more exotic locations aren't an option either?

I think Robinson would be a good manager for him in general but the presumably temporary nature of the move makes it tricky - it's hard to imagine 10 minutes off the bench getting him up to speed but starting him week in, week out, is arguably a sacrifice in the short-term.

The last time round when Killie and Saints were clearly offering him way more than we could/would - I was a bit pissed off about it given it had only been a short time since he's been brilliant for us and we were crying out for a striker. This time round, I'm not bothered - mostly as time has moved on but also because I would hugely doubt that St Mirren would be getting anything like the player we enjoyed in his last season. That's not to say that he couldn't be decent - but I think it would be more first season than second.

Having both Moult and KVV kicking around at other teams would be weird though given how well thought of they both are...

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Aye and the fact he suddenly abandoned the no wingers plan by signing one to universal acclaim after 10 minutes adds to that. 

Jack doesn't need signed by Friday obviously but I always feel the 'just here training' thing is nonsense...by definition it's a trial even if neither party phrases it like that.

Aye, to be clear I don't think we'll sign Ryan Jack simply because I'd be surprised if Ryan Jack's idea of renumeration aligns with ours but in general an actual midfielder who is a) good and b) might be open to something short term would be fine.

Ultimately if we bring in another forward in the Jack Vale mould then between that player, Watt and Stuparević (assuming he's still kicking about) means there's enough options in that area of the park Miller can be dropped back to his natural position.

That solves a problem of sorts but it still leaves us potentially a body short as with the best will in the world you're not going to get the level of performance we saw from from Halliday on Sunday consistently (although he did plenty to remind folk he's still worth having around the squad) and unless there's someone in the u18s who could possibly step up to fill a gap it feels like a CM to tide us over would be good as 4 bodies (Miller, Zdravkovski, Halliday and Tam Sparrow) for 2 positions doesn't really leave us a lot of clearance especially as Slattery's talking about December as his realistic comeback and Callachan's very much TBC.

31 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Why? I'd have thought the partner and new(ish) baby situation would have made Scotland the obvious target for him? If she/they weren't able/willing to move to Holland, presumably the more exotic locations aren't an option either?

I think Robinson would be a good manager for him in general but the presumably temporary nature of the move makes it tricky - it's hard to imagine 10 minutes off the bench getting him up to speed but starting him week in, week out, is arguably a sacrifice in the short-term.

On the KVV point, if you make assumptions like he wants to come back to Scotland for personal reasons (he wants to be closer to his missus and his wean - absolutely fine and understandable especially if she's not able to relocate for whatever reasons) then St Mirren are probably his only real option in so much as you definitely rule out Celtic and Rangers. Aberdeen are shopping in a different market and if the vibes are that he'd want to be central belt you'd be surprised if Hearts or Hibs fancy him especially after his underwhelming sting at Killie last season who themselves would probably give him a swerve.

It leaves St Johnstone, Dundee, United who all have pretty full complements of strikers and us or...St Mirren - who are apparently looking for a striker and have been linked with him.

On whether Robinson would be a good manager for him tbh, I could see it ending up a classic case of his "I can fix him" attitude and kind of overestimating what he's able to do so in the end he just ends up frustrated.

There's an interview from Sportsound with Kettlewell talking about KVV where he says that he was a great player and is exceptionally complimentary about him but essentially says that he's someone that you have to indulge and gives an example of the numbers on his training GPS being, shall we say, below optimal.

I dunno, given Robinson's whole schtick is buy in and that sort of stuff I find it difficult to imagine that he'd just let that sort of stuff slide. I think I mentioned this in the St Mirren thread and it's obviously an extreme example but he bounced Ross McCormack out the club after 4 appearances (albeit the bold Rossco wasn't pinging them in from all angles - although very few of Robinson's strikers did that).

Edited by capt_oats

I think that even if Van Veen does get fit and screw the nut, he's still only a 10-15 goal a season striker at best. That season with us was a complete miracle that won't ever be repeated. With the wages he will be on most teams in our division would be daft to go after him IMO.

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

He doubled his wages when Groningen were promoted.

Unless he’s prepared to take a massive pay cut he’ll be nowhere near Scotland.

3 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I would also love to have seen guys like Miller/Watson/Barron involved in the squad too. 

Baffling that a 32 year old Kenny Mclean is in ahead of these guys. Surely this is a good chance to give them experience of competitive international football before the next set of qualifiers start. 

50 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Just to chip in, an absolute treat to hear @thisGRAEME doing the Monday Terrace after scudding Hearts.

A lovely listen in the office this morning.

For some time, there's been a strong correlation of Motherwell Wins over Hearts and No Jambos on the Monday show afterwards. Disappointing.