Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

3 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

Whenever any viable options are brought to the table vested interests kick in. So I get why nobody offers any solutions as its shouting at the sky.

Yeah, understandable but without them it's just a whinge, regardless of whether it's well-written or not and appears in the Guardian or a fan blog.

I would also say that quality aspect is far from universally agreed as being a problem, or the biggest problem at least...we would do a lot better if we focused on the undoubted strengths of our game at times but as you say, getting anyone (including us) to sacrifice anything short-term for medium or long-term game simply isn't going to happen.

25 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Noticed this response to the club Twitter's post about Oxborough earlier and decided to check.

36 of those 92 we faced were on target. Comparing the on target shots shows how effective we are getting teams to be speculative in their shooting. We also have to face Celtic, something seven in that list have done to date.

Interesting thing there is we're conceded 3.42 goals less than expected. As we only win games 2-1 these days, potentially we could be six points worse off then we are.

Just enhances the perception of fragility, however it seems Dundee United are walking the same tightrope, the midweek game at the end of the month will be very interesting.

The player I’m most looking forward to returning would actually have to be Callum Slattery. From the minute he came in technically you could see he was a step above the rest, however his form did dip up and down but under Grezza when we were flying he was excellent and be good to see him get back to his best in this Kettlewell team.

8 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Would love to hear his reasoning why we'll be better off with investors trying to take money out the club.

I appreciate it's a new era of journalism and I don't expect more from him than a Lennon Miller reference and some stats he may or may not have lifted off the internet but why he volunteers to comment on off field matters he clearly doesn't know about is beyond me.

Tom English is a dick. He only knows or cares about two clubs.

9 hours ago, Pizzo said:

You guys appear to have turned it round this season, didn't see it coming tbh.

Having a competent goalkeeper makes a huge difference in this league. Think we may find that out to our cost again.

Think it’s a bit early to be thinking that way. Dennis wasn’t filling, me anyway, with confidence by this stage last year and it worked out ok.

However the overall goals we are losing this year would tell you that the organization isn’t as good and certainly Dennis seemed to be a big character and very loud last year.

Del needs to pick a number 1 and stick to it.

7 hours ago, Vietnam91 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/oct/02/celtic-humilation-miserable-state-of-scottish-football

Murray pretty much nailed it, very good piece. Odd to see he mentioned Kieran Maguire who was responsible for the incorrect spreadsheet Erik used in his spending plans document. That St Johnstone to Celtic to Dortmund thing is probably what was the seed for the Daily Record hack to write the Squad Assembly Cost article and pilloried on here.

https://forum.pieandbovril.com/topic/292849-squad-assembly-costs/

What these hand wringing articles about "the state of the game" always fail to acknowledge is that Celtic are simply badly managed in Europe. 

That's a Celtic problem, and one they have no interest in addressing because they don't appear to have any desire to make a mark in Europe.

I think it's too early to say Ox is the saviour. He's played 20 games or so for us, and I'm sure he'll make a mistake for us at some stage. However, if you look at the way we went out of the Scottish Cup last year at Morton, for example, you've got to think we wouldn't concede those simple goals.

Kelly had his moments, but whether it was a team issue or a personal issue, he seemed to have lost all confidence last year. And while they weren't as bad as the howlers the Leeds keeper made at Sunderland the other week, you would still expect a competent keeper to save them, right now Ox Seems to be able to do the simple stuff well and isn't adding any additional pressure on us. 

7 hours ago, Vietnam91 said:

Whenever any viable options are brought to the table vested interests kick in. So I get why nobody offers any solutions as its shouting at the sky.

We have these root and stem reviews of the national game on a 10 year cycle, usually when the national team are bereft of any options. The last one brought about youth academies and how teams applied for status (and central funding).

Before that it was Henry McLeish's plans. Maybe that was the same one and the academies were part of his ideas but it's hard to keep track.

Thing is, most of the time they are 100% sensible however nobody wants to tackle the religious elephant in the geographic common sense room. Plus I wonder if Bailey Rice's da regrets him not having upwards of 25 first team games under his belt.

Off the back of a post I made in the Croatia game thread I looked at the striker options. In our top league you have to go to 18th to find a Scottish striker in Simon Murray with 2 from 7. That's the problem.

Croatia have a population of 3.8m, that would be a good starting point ... we've assessed the Dutch, Portuguese and Nordics systems in the past and done little, so why not get on board another feasibility study and kick the can down the road to the 2030's.

It was long ago and totally anecdotal but I remember going to Porec on holiday in 1989 and playing for an "international select" in a game of 7's against the hotel waiters. We got absolutely smoked and I've always remembered that they were innately so.much better technically that it seemed like a different game they were playing. Not sure much has changed since then...

Celtic fans will tell you they need to be less naive in Europe whilst also clutching their pearls any time anyone goes to Parkhead and sits 10 men behind the ball.

Celtic could be successful in Europe, there are teams with smaller budgets that have done far better (see Rangers a few years ago) but they insist on trying to play the correct way rather than the way that gives them the best chance of getting points.

4 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

What these hand wringing articles about "the state of the game" always fail to acknowledge is that Celtic are simply badly managed in Europe. 

That's a Celtic problem, and one they have no interest in addressing because they don't appear to have any desire to make a mark in Europe.

Well not when winning the league at a canter means a guaranteed place and no qualification for their £25m. That is only a recent thing due to Russian naughtiness.

11 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Yes they just need to follow the example of the coach driver who take them to the game and park the bus

43 minutes ago, redstarcvedza said:

It was long ago and totally anecdotal but I remember going to Porec on holiday in 1989 and playing for an "international select" in a game of 7's against the hotel waiters. We got absolutely smoked and I've always remembered that they were innately so.much better technically that it seemed like a different game they were playing. Not sure much has changed since then...

When I moved here I started playing 11 a side again, and most of the teams had Mexican and Latin American players who were just another level. I just ended up kicking the f**k out of them. Then when I started playing indoor 7s some of those same guys wanted me on their team so that I could run into folk and be a dick while they played football.

Stop talking down our game, we're good, just in a different way.

1 hour ago, redstarcvedza said:

Yes they just need to follow the example of the coach driver who take them to the game and park the bus

I mean, kind of! But they don't have a holding player because they don't need one of note domestically. Hence why they get absolutely leathered in Europe.