Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

10 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

We lost to Airdrie in a replay in 75, goalkeeper Rennie was penalised for taking too many steps and they scored the winner from the indirect free kick. We also lost a LC semi to St Johnstone in 1969 though I don't actually know if that was at Hampden.

Edit to add I forgot the original question, since 91 we've beaten every fellow diddy we've met in semis, Hearts 2005, St Johnstone 2011 and Aberdeen 2018.

The 1969 semi-final against St Johnstone was at Hampden. My first "big" Motherwell game.

1 hour ago, Cedrics Mighty Well Army said:

Club bans pyros.

Club issues promotional video showing pyros.

Does not compute.

Bizarrely, the pyro in said video was legal. Aberdeen being the first club to go down this route. Not sure if there has been any repercussions from the SPFL or if they have approved it. 

Previously, concerns have been raised by organisations like Asthma and Lung UK and by the general public about smoke when devices have been set off by fans but it all seems pretty hush when the club crack on. It's probably worth highlighting that the level of smoke pre-match at Aberdeen was pretty significant.

Whilst some may see this as a welcome step forward, it seems to me that there's a large degree of hypocrisy when clubs are banning fans for setting off pyro. There's no doubt an argument that it is safer to have a trained club employee wearing a high-viz vest handling the device rather than a supporter in the stands, but it doesn't tackle the issues raised by those who complain about breathing issues, the view of the pitch being blocked by smoke, etc. 

I'll no doubt be in the minority here but the sooner the hysteria around pyro stops the better. Very often a total overreaction from those in the media and the governing bodies. 

Draconian sentencing and bans isn't the way forward for me. Definitely not. 

It's a very sensitive subject for many on both side of the debate but from a personal experience it's literally two simple things to me:

- The smoke inhalation element is a real and live problem. My dad, as an example, ended up beside one at St Johnstone unexpectedly, took a crazy coughing fit and had to leave the stand and miss 20 minutes of the game 

- Actual pyros and flares that burn at a temperature that can harm someone (e.g. that boy at Dundee is the recent one that springs to kind) are just dangerous in the wrong hands unfortunately.

I think they can look great, but if we can organise ourselves to make banners etc the answer to me is making it a little more organised in respect of pyro and smoke. Create the same atmosphere and visuals but just in a safer environment.

One of the pyro that was set off at Hampden against Rangers earlier this season was dropped onto the pillow of a young kid not far from me and set it on fire and burnt through it, there's surely got to be a safer way to do it than dropping a still flashing pyro onto the ground.IMG_20240810_150135.thumb.jpg.d4c60e24f7def3e463b95339d0e40d68.jpg

17 minutes ago, mwellhighland said:

Trying to buy tickets for Hampden but only getting option to collect from ticket office? Not feasible for me. Were others given the option of post? Tried to phone ticket office but seems it's closed

I think it was the only option for me; I didn't actually notice it until I'd ordered them but I can't recall being given the option/a prompt for anything other than that.

I could not see a ticket delivery option. Only when ordered did it say thanks for choosing ticket collection. 

A reminder that not all Motherwell fans live in Motherwell or the surrounding areas. Only saving grace is there are two home games before this game.  Although I will miss both as heading to Southeast Asia. Thankfully a friend has offered to collect mine. 

Surely it would be easier for the ticket office also if there was an e-ticket route. Not sure if this was a club decision or SFA / Hampden decision. The work involved in handing out 7-8000 tickets 🤔.

Edited by welldaft

5 hours ago, Jastons6 said:

I'm sure there was an option to have tickets delivered for a £2 fee .  I got mine when first open to season ticket holders although I decided to collect instead. 

I'm guessing it isn't solely a Motherwell decision re: physical tickets.

I don’t think there was an option to have the tickets posted, I was down visiting my Dad on Wednesday so called in and picked mine up.  It happened to be 2pm and some of the players were leaving the stadium, it still feels strange to see Motherwell players in the outside world, I got all excited about seeing Luca Ross in jeans.

20 hours ago, mwellhighland said:

Trying to buy tickets for Hampden but only getting option to collect from ticket office? Not feasible for me. Were others given the option of post? Tried to phone ticket office but seems it's closed

For anyone in same boat, was able to sort postage after buying online then phoning ticket office and paying the £2 fee over phone.

Reason given for no option was they were trying to discourage post due to tickes not being replaceable. Have my thoughts on that when trying to get as big a backing as possible - just give a disclaimer or something.