Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

6 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Well McCulloch's just been unveiled at Dundee United so I assume it won't be him.

Aye. Scott Burns tweeted earlier that United "made their move" when they heard we had offered him the job.

I mean in the grand scheme of things it's Reserves/Academy stuff we're talking about so it's not like it's first team/priority patter but still it's a bit of a boot in the baws if we've actually taken time over all this (and given Craigan announced he was leaving over a month ago it seems we have) then find ourselves back at square one.

Edited by capt_oats

Hastie at this very early stage looks like a poster child for getting promising players out on loan. In his two appearances so far, he physically looks like a 1st team player - he took some robust treatment last night but clearly was able to handle it no bother (No doubt as a result of being terrorised by Jim Goodwin at 5's when training with Alloa). 

On other stuff last night - I thought the combination of Campbell, Gorrin & Turnball was a really good one and was actually a pretty entertaining midfield to watch. Gorrin in the right position seems to offer much of what Bigi does with an added bit of discipline, Campbell is still the top man when his energy levels are right and Turnball is someone that we will only get to enjoy briefly, which is a real shame.

If we are to play with one forward, then we only have a choice between Sammon and Main at present. Main last night looked interested and gave every impression of trying his best - but nothing came off for him and I do wonder if Sammon is worth a start in the formation we had last night.

1 hour ago, Swello said:

Hastie at this very early stage looks like a poster child for getting promising players out on loan. In his two appearances so far, he physically looks like a 1st team player - he took some robust treatment last night but clearly was able to handle it no bother (No doubt as a result of being terrorised by Jim Goodwin at 5's when training with Alloa). 

On other stuff last night - I thought the combination of Campbell, Gorrin & Turnball was a really good one and was actually a pretty entertaining midfield to watch. Gorrin in the right position seems to offer much of what Bigi does with an added bit of discipline, Campbell is still the top man when his energy levels are right and Turnball is someone that we will only get to enjoy briefly, which is a real shame.

If we are to play with one forward, then we only have a choice between Sammon and Main at present. Main last night looked interested and gave every impression of trying his best - but nothing came off for him and I do wonder if Sammon is worth a start in the formation we had last night.

Main had a header from a Hastie cross in the second half and it almost looked like a clearance. He put himself about but he's got no confidence at all. The main from last season would have tried to find the top corner after that outrageous through ball from Turnbull in the first half but instead he passed it to the keeper. 

36 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Main had a header from a Hastie cross in the second half and it almost looked like a clearance. He put himself about but he's got no confidence at all. The main from last season would have tried to find the top corner after that outrageous through ball from Turnbull in the first half but instead he passed it to the keeper. 

To be fair to Main, I was in the East Stand in line with that chance and the ball was slightly behind him. He had to try and adjust himself in mid-air to try and get anything on it.

But aye, he did make a bit of an arse of it.

Feels like we've been here a few times before this season. A bad run followed by an improved performance/result that gives a bit of hope.

Robinson seems pretty confident that he got the team selection correct last night and I'd agree with that, just have to hope that if he is to put Hartley back in, then we don't make three or four changes to do so.

On a side note, had to laugh that the first response of some on Twitter following last night's win was to have a go at Curtis Main or Connor Sammon - I don't know if it's exclusive to our support, but we're a right bunch of moaning fuckers at times.

53 minutes ago, AndyRoss said:

Feels like we've been here a few times before this season. A bad run followed by an improved performance/result that gives a bit of hope.

Robinson seems pretty confident that he got the team selection correct last night and I'd agree with that, just have to hope that if he is to put Hartley back in, then we don't make three or four changes to do so.

On a side note, had to laugh that the first response of some on Twitter following last night's win was to have a go at Curtis Main or Connor Sammon - I don't know if it's exclusive to our support, but we're a right bunch of moaning fuckers at times.

Buckle up. Saturday is now sure to see us go 3-5-2 with Dunne at LWB, Turnbull in holding midfield and Sammon wide right.

4 hours ago, AndyRoss said:

Never mind online, there were people at the game who were desperate for Sammon to fail last night when he came on.  Embarrassing stuff.

2 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

I can’t remember if it was here or steelmen but I remember reading something about reserve players getting moved on to give the 18s squad more of a game there.

Pretty sure it was Steelmen. Presumably part of the review the club have done post-Craigan.

Looking at the Reserves/u18s page on the official it's pretty thin given we've moved/released MacLean, Krones, Armstrong and Alfie with Morrison, Maguire, Gordon and McLaughlin out on loan. Also Turnbull and Hastie are pretty much viewed as first team players now.

I count 15 bodies once you remove those out on loan/part of the first team.

Here's Flow's spiel from the news story. It's interesting to read that it's viewed as a newly created role rather than simply "Reserves manager":

Chief executive Alan Burrows added: “We are very pleased to have appointed Maurice in this newly created role. We are at the final stages of reviewing our pathway at that level, but Maurice will play a key part in player development at what is clearly a critical age in a young player’s career.

“As well as his duties with the first team and the reserves, an important aspect of the role is working with Steven Hammell to provide continuity between the later stages of our Club Academy Scotland setup at Braidhurst and our professional teams.

“His remit from the board is clear and that is to develop our talented players to a point when they are primed for first team football. With his skill set, drive and determination, we believe we have the best man for the job.”