Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

The Scottish Sun suggesting that's Stephen Robinson coming back as a coach after having been binned by Oldham. I'll not lie, I have wondered how much of a negative effect him leaving in the way he did has had this season. The Oldham job seemed to come pretty out the blue and he'd not long extended his deal with the club.

Totally fine with that tbqhwu.

10 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

The Scottish Sun suggesting that's Stephen Robinson coming back as a coach after having been binned by Oldham. I'll not lie, I have wondered how much of a negative effect him leaving in the way he did has had this season. The Oldham job seemed to come pretty out the blue and he'd not long extended his deal with the club.

Totally fine with that tbqhwu.

Great appointment if true. Don't really know what happened to him down at Oldham but seemed to do an impressive job up here.

Great appointment if true. Don't really know what happened to him down at Oldham but seemed to do an impressive job up here.

They were pretty much a basketcase. I think when he took the job there were about 3 weeks until the start of the season and they barely had a team. Signed 20 players in the summer window.

Can't imagine bringing Bara in as his assistant helped much but it seemed a pretty tough gig for his first managerial job.

Sheridan seems to have steadied the ship a bit but either way Robinson seems to be a good coach, if not necessarily a good manager, given the work he did at Fir Park and Northern Ireland.

Given the position we're in at the moment this would probably seem a much less disruptive move than emptying the manager.

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

They were pretty much a basketcase. I think when he took the job there were about 3 weeks until the start of the season and they barely had a team. Signed 20 players in the summer window.

Can't imagine bringing Bara in as his assistant helped much but it seemed a pretty tough gig for his first managerial job.

Sheridan seems to have steadied the ship a bit but either way Robinson seems to be a good coach, if not necessarily a good manager, given the work he did at Fir Park and Northern Ireland.

Given the position we're in at the moment this would probably seem a much less disruptive move than emptying the manager.

Wait.....that actually happened? I thought that was someone suggesting it as a joke scenario on here!

Agree with the last point, probably a less costly one too. Getting rid of McGhee at this point, as appetising as it sounds, wouldn't be the best decision I don't think so to bring someone in who is pretty well thought of around the club will hopefully put the brakes on some of the support sharpening their pitch forks.

Wait.....that actually happened? I thought that was someone suggesting it as a joke scenario on here!
Agree with the last point, probably a less costly one too. Getting rid of McGhee at this point, as appetising as it sounds, wouldn't be the best decision I don't think so to bring someone in who is pretty well thought of around the club will hopefully put the brakes on some of the support sharpening their pitch forks.

It was a real thing: http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/baraclough-officially-becomes-assistant-manager-3194636.aspx

Having just looked at a couple of news articles about Robinson at Oldham it turns out he inherited 5 first team players when he arrived at the club.

Robinson certainly was a huge part of our 5th place finish last year, will take the burden off McGhee in that he can take a lot more of the training than compared to Faddy who mostly joins in training with the players, he's tactically astute and can give opinions to McGhee on the right way forward.   Also feel the players will look fitter with his style of training as we appear to run out of steam at the 70 minute mark.

Also, and this is possibly either a good or bad thing depending on your view of him and what he can/can't offer but you'd think it'd free McFadden up to be available for selection more given Robinson's already had the assistant role.

I didn't bother watching his press conference yesterday but it's been notable to me that Faddy's consistently said that he still wants to make himself available for selection but he appreciates his primary role this season has been assistant.

On the topic of Oldham, I saw a stat that Ripley has kept the highest number of clean sheets in League 1. Given that Oldham are fighting relegation that's pretty impressive.

I doubt it would happen as he probably sees his career in England, but if the opportunity to resign him came up in the summer I'd definitely take him back as he's miles better than Samson. Saying that, my gran is better than Samson.

On 2/8/2017 at 19:30, capt_oats said:

On the consistency point. This is a yellow card offence according to the bold Bobby Madden.

xpxM_e.gif

While it feels a bit mad continuing to labour this point, but Jim O'Brien on Saturday, yellow;

giphy.gif

12 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

While it feels a bit mad continuing to labour this point, but Jim O'Brien on Saturday, yellow;

giphy.gif

He properly jumps into that one too. Out of curiosity, as I haven't really been paying *that* much attention. Has anyone actually been sent off for a tackle on the same or similar grounds since McHugh? Looking at the above and the various others flagged at the time, the overwhelming majority seem to have been yellows. The McDonald & McHugh ones seem to have been the exceptions.

18 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

He properly jumps into that one too. Out of curiosity, as I haven't really been paying *that* much attention. Has anyone actually been sent off for a tackle on the same or similar grounds since McHugh? Looking at the above and the various others flagged at the time, the overwhelming majority seem to have been yellows. The McDonald & McHugh ones seem to have been the exceptions.

A look suggests: Ayr United had a player sent off for attempted murder, Conroy sent off for savaging a Livi player, handbags at East Fife and Brechin, and a Berwick player sent off for this beauty:

giphy.gif

:lol: He's jumping out the way and still got him!

That was quite fun to find out, tbh.

11 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

A look suggests: Ayr United had a player sent off for attempted murder, Conroy sent off for savaging a Livi player, handbags at East Fife and Brechin, and a Berwick player sent off for this beauty:

giphy.gif

:lol: He's jumping out the way and still got him!

That was quite fun to find out, tbh.

That's absolutely superb. Tremendous effort.

The Ayr one is a beaut as well. "Excessive force? Nae bother."

kGft3rASNTXoI.gif