Cordless drills/drivers

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in the market for one and was thinking either hitachi 18v or deWalt 18v but there are so many variations ranging wildly in price.

Can anyone offer a strong recommendation? It's mostly for around the house and garden but a few medium uses like fence building etc.

I've got a black and decker one and it's fine. Also 18v (I think). I saw it advertised the other day on sale for £30, unfortunately I can't remember which shop it was.

Edited: It's Homebase. This is it.http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/black--decker-ni-cad-cordless-drill-driver---18v-623805

Did a bit of work on site and this weird spark kept telling me that Makita drills were the best. Something to do with battery pack interchangeabilit. The boy was clearly a few tools short of a full toolbox though.

Guy that fitted my kitchen had Makita stuff. I borrowed the drill from him to take part of a fence down, and it was certainly a cracking piece of kit.

Makita tools are brilliant if you are working in the industry but if its just for DIY then its probably more than you would need to spend unless buying second hand. Makita batteries are very expensive but you can get replica's on eBay for a quarter of the price that do the trick.

What Throbber said^^^^

Don't go to screwfix and spend £150 on makita to use once every 3 months round the house.

They're for joiners etc who need the tools every day and get their money's worth.

Ok thanks guys, will let you know what I get in the end. Have had a couple of £30 ones in the past and they haven't been great.

Even if you're not planning to use it regularly try to get one with two batteries. It's frustrating when a battery runs out and you realise it's a 3-4 hour charge time for the battery.

If you're going to spend a little bit extra than the basic minimum

Lithium Ion Battery drills are more expensive than Ni-Cad but they don't lose charge in the back of the shed in the same way

Which is good for DIY types because when you finally get round to doing those shelves you don't then have to recharge the drill.

So if you're going to spend a little bit extra than the basic minimum

Ok thanks guys, will let you know what I get in the end. Have had a couple of £30 ones in the past and they haven't been great.

Probably because you weren't using the right torque setting or pressure, if you don't use one regularly. The point of paying extra is more about the longevity of the battery if you're using it daily than the mechanics of the drill.

Bought an 18.8V f5rom Lidl with a charger and spare battery over 10 years ago, still using it today.

I heard the're usually built in the same factory from nearly the same parts, just that quality control is much stricter on the expensive ones.

Archived