Ayr United, What now 2016/17

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right I've waited long enough before coming out and actually criticising the gaffer. Think his recruitment has been pretty poor bar Balatoni, Cairney and Harkins (although sometimes he looks as tho he can't be arsed).

He seems to think that we are better than 8th despite having nobody with speed and no proven goal scorer at this level. Not a dig at Moore or his injury but surely he could have gone a proper player in the door instead of taking on two youngsters that have both gone back without really contributing anything.

McKenna is another one. He was ok in his first season but only good enough in keeping us up. I doubt he would have got a look in last season ahead of Murphy or Graham.

I am in no way saying he should be sacked. I just think that he is getting a bit of an easy ride considering the amount of mistakes he's made this season. And don't try and defend him by saying he got us promoted. Yes it was fantastic but he had the 2nd biggest budget in the league and the biggest budget an Ayr manager had been given since Dalziel.

Still think he can turn this around but it'll take some effort.

38 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

We need far more than a striker. That was evident today 

Couldn't comment as i wasn't at the game but that seems blatantly apparent going by people's views after watching the game.

33 minutes ago, placidcasual said:

Is this from your same source that has McCall chasing El Alagui?

El Alagui was on the bench today but never came on, seems to have fallen behind Clark, Reilly and Moffat so you never know...

He would certainly have a better chance of getting more game time with us. 

Andy Little apparently training with us while looking for a gig. Word I'm hearing is that he's looking for a part time team as he's got business commitments. He knocked back Alloa so I guess he could be a realistic target for you guys if he wants a championship gig.

13 minutes ago, somerset_lad00 said:

Right I've waited long enough before coming out and actually criticising the gaffer. Think his recruitment has been pretty poor bar Balatoni, Cairney and Harkins (although sometimes he looks as tho he can't be arsed).

He seems to think that we are better than 8th despite having nobody with speed and no proven goal scorer at this level. Not a dig at Moore or his injury but surely he could have gone a proper player in the door instead of taking on two youngsters that have both gone back without really contributing anything.

McKenna is another one. He was ok in his first season but only good enough in keeping us up. I doubt he would have got a look in last season ahead of Murphy or Graham.

I am in no way saying he should be sacked. I just think that he is getting a bit of an easy ride considering the amount of mistakes he's made this season. And don't try and defend him by saying he got us promoted. Yes it was fantastic but he had the 2nd biggest budget in the league and the biggest budget an Ayr manager had been given since Dalziel.

Still think he can turn this around but it'll take some effort.

Post that on The Somerset Road End and you'll have people seething "He's the best we've hud since Ally" but I agree totally. 

People are going on about how remarkable last season was. We had the 2nd biggest budget in the league so only done what we should of done. We were pish from Christmas onwards. 

The fact we have failed to bring anyone in this window(when we're crying out for a couple of wingers and a striker) is nothing short of embarrassing. He can use the budget, part-time v full-time excuse all he likes but Dumbarton have a smaller budget than us and are managing to bring players in(whether they are any good remains to be seen). 

We haven't won a league match since October and I really can't see where the next one is coming. Unless McCall bring 3/4 players in before the window shuts then we're heading back to league 1 and at that point McCall should be sacked, he won't be though. 

1 minute ago, glenburn bud said:

Andy Little apparently training with us while looking for a gig. Word I'm hearing is that he's looking for a part time team as he's got business commitments. He knocked back Alloa so I guess he could be a realistic target for you guys if he wants a championship gig.

Heard he's in a bad way fitness wise. We really need someone fully fit and firing. 

We played a team with 10 men behind the ball, 5 at the back. we had 4 central midfielders across the middle of the park so didn't have width to stretch them, we tried to play a ball over the top for Moore to chase a couple of times but the forward passing was awful so spent the entire game passing the ball across the back line and barely getting close to their 18 yard box.

Moore had very little involvement whether that is down to sharpness or the fact we appear to have no intention of creating chances any more, Forrest did much the same when he came on.

We need to be more direct and have Harkins picking out Moore, Forrest and McGuffie making runs rather than have him being a lone forward, we look like he can absorb pressure during games but have no idea how to counter attack.  

1 hour ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Don't think it's anything to do with footballing ability if true

If he signed for us on the basis of getting a regular game and has been told that's no longer the case I can see why he'd be frustrated. 

If it's an attitude problem in training then possibly better off without him.

Either way excited for Donald playing at left back when the inevitable suspensions and injuries happen.

Archived