Ayr United, What now 2016/17

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hows that may I ask ...do they not get on

I think there were rumours that Moffat was eying up a move back to Ayr at the start of the season and McCall turned him down

2 minutes ago, somerset_lad00 said:

I think there were rumours that Moffat was eying up a move back to Ayr at the start of the season and McCall turned him down

Exactly this. 

10 minutes ago, 1nickydevlin said:

Aw well .thought he would have been ideal especially in league 1

Moffat tries too hard to get in our team, he'd just show the rest up.

38 minutes ago, somerset_lad00 said:

Just out of interest could we afford to pay out the rest of his contract that runs until the end of next year and then get another coach like Hartley in?

I'd be willing to take another punt with him but the only way we will ever improve is with full time football. Right now our players are only training a few hours a week so we can't expect any real familiarity with tactics or brilliant fitness.

If we do go full time next season and it's looking like we won't win the league then I'll join the McCall out bandwagon.

Someone on here mentioned that we might have a similar signing policy as last year where we poach players from the team of the year. I would probably expect the same but the first person through the door must be a goal scorer. Not a young loan player. A player who has played this level and can score 20-25 goals a season.

I'm pretty sure I've heard McCall say a few times that he has four hours training with the squad each week. Stevie Aitken is on record as saying that for the last two seasons he has our players for only three hours per week. Hasn't worked out too badly for us. Maybe less is more!?

Moffat will be no where near Ayr while McCall is still manager. 

McCall not being interested last season, doesn't mean he won't this one. Moffat should be excellent in league one, although Dunfermline hasn't got the best out of him, unlike Mark Roberts!

I'm pretty sure I've heard McCall say a few times that he has four hours training with the squad each week. Stevie Aitken is on record as saying that for the last two seasons he has our players for only three hours per week. Hasn't worked out too badly for us. Maybe less is more!?

I'm not trying to make excuses for Ayr but what Dumbarton have achieved over the last 6 seasons has been a mixture of hard work and a minor miracle.

Perhaps it's something to do with McCall having little experience coaching part time footballers or something else but it's imperative that we go full time otherwise we're just going to be stuck of the same loop for the foreseeable future.

I get his point about managers being sacked too quickly these day, but does that really apply to McCall? Finished last in the league with shocking stats, bad signing policy and bland football. If it was any other club he'd have been gone after Saturday, or lucky to even get to the end of the season.

I get his point about managers being sacked too quickly these day, but does that really apply to McCall? Finished last in the league with shocking stats, bad signing policy and bland football. If it was any other club he'd have been gone after Saturday, or lucky to even get to the end of the season.

The thing that saves him is that we were expected to finish tenth (bookies/experts/possibly even budget).

For a while we looked like we had a decent shout at survival but the last 6 weeks or so has condemned us.

We gave Brian Reid the chance after relegation and he got us promoted.

And then got you relegated again the following season. Looks like being a 'gubbins yo-yo club' is the full extent of your chairman's ambition then. 

Archived