Plans today?

23 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

Looks like you’ve had that one about 2 weeks! Well done on taking on vitamin T though, very important.

Think they were having a bit of trouble with the gas. Tasted a bit oniony too. Not complaining; flat, weird-tasting T far better than none.

Doing some garden work.
Cutting hydrangeas
Bottle bank
Park with son
2 or 3 pints and game of darts( if I'm lucky)
Chinkys tonight
Not starting till 8.30 in the morn so don't have the fear. Last week was 4am start

Casual racism, cool...

Looks like you are right and it is offensive. I honestly didn't know. Changed it now.
Didn't even have them in the end :-(

No worries, Nkomo.
What did you have? Looking for inspiration for tonight...

What did you have for dinner today or you fell at the first fence ?

The experiment commences next week. Even told my pal who I usually get lunch with. Think he’ll try it as well. To answer, today’s was a meal deal (ham & cheese piece, cheese & onion walkers - meant to get the baked ones but picked up ordinary by accident - and apple juice) and some, no doubt shite, breakfast bars while I was in the shop. Net spend £4.40.

20 hours ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

Looks like you are right and it is offensive. I honestly didn't know. Changed it now.
Didn't even have them in the end :-(

I never made the connection until very recently between "Chinky" and an offensive word for Chinese people, rather than just slang for a restaurant/takeaway. Must admit I thought it was PC gone mad until I googled what Chinese people think about the term. Similarly there's a guy on the Dunfermline John McVeigh is a tosser thread who got mildly ticked off for using "coloured" to refer to a black player and way over reacted, bringing Police and Lawyers into it, or talking about it. Not sure what the score is now, but coloured was a respectable term used by middle aged to elderly black people in London in the 80/90's. Discussed it with a youngish black colleague at the time who thought it was ok. I said I was a bit uncomfortable because it reminded me of colouring in books. Time and language move on, sometimes it's a bit hard to keep up, especially with innocent intentions.

14 hours ago, Bairnardo said:
14 hours ago, throbber said:
Classic “I’m not racist I’ve got black mates” chat there Bairnardo.

Yeah I know, but whether you like it or not, times are different and folk either move on or dont. Someone not moving on at pace with society (Nkomo) isn't neccesarily a racist. Specially if they correct themselves after. I guess that was my point.

Yeah absolutely. Plenty of terms are used by older people because they actually think it’s the politically correct term to use, when it is now offensive. If they accept it, learn and change then no issue at all.

It’s the “why can’t we say paki, it’s just short for Pakistani? PC gone mad” types that refuse to change that need a boot in the pie.

23 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Yeah absolutely. Plenty of terms are used by older people because they actually think it’s the politically correct term to use, when it is now offensive. If they accept it, learn and change then no issue at all.

It’s the “why can’t we say paki, it’s just short for Pakistani? PC gone mad” types that refuse to change that need a boot in the pie.

Some of the older generation are just cringey with what they come out with. I have a thing about names people use to describe learning disabilities/difficulties, the older generation are by far the worst 

12 minutes ago, heedthebaa said:

Some of the older generation are just cringey with what they come out with. I have a thing about names people use to describe learning disabilities/difficulties, the older generation are by far the worst 

Sometimes the modern terms are worse than the old imo. A mate of mine used to be a care worker looking after people with varied levels of learning difficulties (a term I'm not fond of, it's positively inaccurate sometimes for intelligent people with behavioural or communication problems). He insisted on calling them "service users" as was departmental policy, instead of old fashioned "clients", which carries with it a modicum of respect.

16 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

When I was growing up my mum and dad would call it a chinky. My dad was very good mates with the guy who ran the village Chinese too there was certainly no malice in it. Saying that as years went on evem he changed to saying Chinese. It is inappropriate in this day and age but not one I majorly cringe at when I hear it. Just needs corrected.

It's just a term that will fade with time, I'm sure that most that use it to refer to a meal are no more racist than your average citizen, this assumption might depend  where in the UK people stay.

2 minutes ago, heedthebaa said:

It’s the term I tend to use, but I realise it may not be for some, it’s imo certainly better than “no all there” “retarded” and “backward” which i hear widely used by the older generation. As for the some of the youth of today, well they take it to a different level

"He's on the 'bit soft' spectrum." :P