Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

33 minutes ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

Sorry? Are you saying Ando didn't give away the penalty and miss the best chance,then get caught at the third? Sorry Steven,but the gaffer agrees with me

But did he turn his back at any shots?

:lol:

Sorry to say this, but Steven MacLean is done as a player for saints if we play that system again. He's my capable of playing upfront alone. He's not done as a player, far from it, but he can't be our main striker this year it won't work.

Just now, Widge said:

Sorry to say this, but Steven MacLean is done as a player for saints if we play that system again. He's my capable of playing upfront alone. He's not done as a player, far from it, but he can't be our main striker this year it won't work.

I think we have a slight problem with the squad in that respect. Our attacking midfielders all suit a 4-2-3-1 but all 3 strikers (Cummins less so) do best with a partner up top. 

6 minutes ago, Widge said:

Aye...........BUT WHAT ABOUT ANDO!

I've being saying this for a while. When we play 4-5-1 with MacLean up top were forced to play to his game all the time - hitting balls into feet and getting midfielders beyond him. It means that when teams keep the ball well against us and we have to drop off it's difficult to find an out ball when we win it back. Add in missing Millar and we end up struggling to keep the ball for any length of period.

Agree with Kyle that the rest of the squad seems suited to the 4-5-1 but we don't have the focal point we need up front.

One thing that irks me a bit and it's happened a few times after good results. 

We won against Killie, on a bit of a high which was followed by ANOTHER newspaper article about Wright "Hitting back at critics". There was similar quotes from Macca in the media this week too.

Then last night we came out and performed quite poorly and its something that's happened more than once after those type of outburst articles. 

Why can't the critics be ignored and the criticism used for motivation internally. It almost feels like the players are more focused on what's being said in media about the previous game than focusing on the NEXT game. 

Just frustrates me. Less media talk about how good we are and doing the talking on the pitch. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

13 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

One thing that irks me a bit and it's happened a few times after good results. 

We won against Killie, on a bit of a high which was followed by ANOTHER newspaper article about Wright "Hitting back at critics". There was similar quotes from Macca in the media this week too.

Then last night we came out and performed quite poorly and its something that's happened more than once after those type of outburst articles. 

Why can't the critics be ignored and the criticism used for motivation internally. It almost feels like the players are more focused on what's being said in media about the previous game than focusing on the NEXT game. 

Just frustrates me. Less media talk about how good we are and doing the talking on the pitch. 

Exactly. The media can't be trusted not to twist or even make things up.

Better to keep quiet and get on with it, as we did for years. Lately we're making comments I think we ought to stay away from.

40 minutes ago, andrewh said:

Exactly. The media can't be trusted not to twist or even make things up.

Better to keep quiet and get on with it, as we did for years. Lately we're making comments I think we ought to stay away from.

Yeah my thoughts exactly really. I understand TW and co are just answering questions put to them by journalists but its better just to ignore it. 

1 hour ago, Radford said:

I don't understand the media thing either. Is it self-promotion, he's worried how he personally is perceived? Agree that he should just keep it zipped now and pick his battles more wisely.

When McCulloch was asked pre match last night if his Rangers connections meant that he'd be wanting his side to end Celtic's domestic run he simply said that he was with Kilmarnock and Rangers had nothing to do with it. If more managers answered like that perhaps the inane OF-centric nonsense might diminish?

Something that's getting overlooked here is the absolute passive closing down from Liam Craig and foster , they do enough to be sort of close , but then just backtrack/do a half hearted jump to block a cross / throw a lazy leg as an attempted " tackle " and it allows the opposition a lot of crosses and runs up the pitch . I've only seen Comrie in that game against Hamilton , but how far are we from him or Watson appearing on a game , even just to give foster a boot up the arse . And if he can stop trying to score own goals from his corner of the pitch , and cutting back in tom hit the first defender with a left footed cross that would be appreciated also .

2 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Seen 2 Saints fans on twitter suggest TW should be sacked after last night.

One suggesting its similar to why Cathro was sacked... My God. 

What is wrong with some of supporters? 

There's another on the St Johnstone banter page suggesting that we should have released all of our strikers, signed one quality player in their place and used the 'youngsters' (presumably Hurst and Hunter seeing as we didn't have Hendry signed until July) as his back up. I despair.

I'm still not convinced we played that badly last night. For some reason the first goal is always huge with our team, and if we'd had someone capable of finishing we'd have gotten it. First half we created a lot of decent opportunities but just couldn't get the cross or shot right. Second half started slower but we weren't exactly brutal until the penalty and wonder goal come along and rocked us.

A lot of hand wringing and criticising of every player, but really it's all coming back to not taking chances, to me.

1 minute ago, Kyle said:

There's another on the St Johnstone banter page suggesting that we should have released all of our strikers, signed one quality player in their place and used the 'youngsters' (presumably Hurst and Hunter seeing as we didn't have Hendry signed until July) as his back up. I despair.

I cannot bring myself to be on that page on Facebook. To many of them are high on some hallucinogenic drugs. 

On the subject of Hendry. Good pre season for him, I know friendlies are a different thing completely to competitive games but how far away from the 1st team do you think he is? I know he's young but seems to have a good work ethic etc with some ability to match. 

1 hour ago, Radford said:

I don't understand the media thing either. Is it self-promotion, he's worried how he personally is perceived? Agree that he should just keep it zipped now and pick his battles more wisely.

Must be understandable self-promotion. Tommy's been mentioned countless times for big jobs, had deserved praise for consecutive top-six finishes that should, all things considered, have seen him away. He must look at a host of far less successful managers in Scotland who've been lured away and must wonder, at nearly 54, when he's going to get his chance.

What's holding other teams off? Perhaps it's this criticism about his team's footballing style. It can't help his cause. So you can see why it must irk and why he wants to respond. You're right though, doesn't do the team any good.

It's strange how every defeat leads to multiple statuses about how the youth players are so much better than what we have. Some people genuinely seem to believe every player under 21 for us is an incredible player but TW just flat out refuses to play them.