Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

27 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Link?

Was on either the Sun or Daily Record's blog. Mackinnon saying he missed out on him and is now trying to sign Greg Morrison on loan from County. We already knew about Dundee as we mercilessly took the piss out of them when they were linked with him.

Still, he's here now. Fingers crossed he's better than the current level of expectation suggests.

2 hours ago, Mr Heliums said:

The obvious duds who fail both tests are Watson, Cummins, McKay, Coulson, Sutton etc.

Very harsh to lump Cummins in with that group IMO. Competent, hard-working player who doesn't score enough and has been off form for a wee while but he's still contributed a fair amount (and some important goals) over his two years here, enough to consider it a good signing I'd say. Whereas the others you mentioned were either pish or spent most of their time on the treatment table before being quickly shipped out.

16 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

Very harsh to lump Cummins in with that group IMO. Competent, hard-working player who doesn't score enough and has been off form for a wee while but he's still contributed a fair amount (and some important goals) over his two years here, enough to consider it a good signing I'd say. Whereas the others you mentioned were either pish or spent most of their time on the treatment table before being quickly shipped out.

Yeah I was being a bit harsh on Cummins. He did look a good signing for a while and I suspect it's about confidence as much as anything. He hasn't looked the same since his injury and I'm not sure he links that well with MacLean.

On the subject of treatment tables, a wee bit concerning to read of Johnstone's cruciate injury last year. One of the boxes Tommy seems to be unafraid of ticking is signing players who've had serious layoffs before (Watson and Coulson obviously haven't put him off).

Watson has left to join Hartlepool on loan and January and Millar has been told he can find a new club. 

Not bothered about the former but gutted about the latter. He's been an excellent servant to saints and deserves better than this. It's not like he's useless now - the first leg against Trakai shows he can still serve a purpose for us. 

Yeah very sad to hear this officially confirmed. Don't understand it at all as per previous posts from me and many others. Great servant and another one of the "old guard" away. Think it's a mistake and he still had positive contribution to make. Will be difficult to see him line up against us if comes to that.

See the fact that Watson's away and Millar has been told he can leave gives me hope we're not done in the transfer market just yet. You're essentially swapping Watson for Johnstone, so there's still the original striker wage set aside. Unless we're starting the budget cuts now in order to save and accommodate an O'Halloran bid?

2 minutes ago, Widge said:

See the fact that Watson's away and Millar has been told he can leave gives me hope we're not done in the transfer market just yet. You're essentially swapping Watson for Johnstone, so there's still the original striker wage set aside. Unless we're starting the budget cuts now in order to save and accommodate an O'Halloran bid?

Not convinced he'd return permanently. 

Moves to lower league's in England will appeal to him more if they were an option. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

Not convinced he'd return permanently. 
Moves to lower league's in England will appeal to him more if they were an option. 

I disagree. He's talked about how much he's enjoyed being one of the lads again and how much he owes Wright. Bear in mind he's already moved and failed in his career, I think that'll have a huge impact. He's tried down south and failed to an extent, he's tried the bigger team and failed. He knows it works for him at saints especially if he's happy and fit.

5 minutes ago, Widge said:

I disagree. He's talked about how much he's enjoyed being one of the lads again and how much he owes Wright. Bear in mind he's already moved and failed in his career, I think that'll have a huge impact. He's tried down south and failed to an extent, he's tried the bigger team and failed. He knows it works for him at saints especially if he's happy and fit.

Swanson said very similar stuff.

Saw the interview with Tommy on Saints fb page. At least they've actually mentioned the existence of Chris Millar so fair play for that. I guess the rumblings from supporters have possibly prompted it. If the club had done that originally then it would have been better.  Was it just me that thought Tommy was a bit awkward discussing the Midge situation?

I'm really disappointed to see him go. Personally I think it's a mistake as he's still got a lot to offer. If he goes to any side in the bottom six from last season he will be a brilliant signing for them.   I'm still trying to get my head round getting rid of Millar and keeping Liam and Paton ahead of him. I guess it just shows football is all about opinions, and I've also got no idea how their salaries compare.

He's a club legend, and guys like him are what St Johnstone are all about. With Mackay and Wright it didn't feel so bad, as it seemed to be on their terms (injury wise) as much as the clubs'.  Good luck to him wherever he goes, and hopefully if it's a loan to another premiership side we make sure he can't play against us this season!

If the posters above are correct that it's to free up money to sign MOH and another gem then I can just about understand it. If, however, we get a few bad results and see a return of the turgid displays that we suffered a fair few of at McDiarmid last season, with us spending most of the game blootering the ball up in the air, then I'll consider it even more of a poor decision! Time will tell.

Good luck to Keith Watson as well, a good player and seemed a really decent lad who has just had a torrid time with injury over his career. Hope he can stay fit and do well at Hartlepool.

Sad to see Millar going, can't share the sentiment we should be getting rid of Paton and Craig instead though, both guarantee you over 30 games a season, Millar can't. They might not be as good but that's not at all that matters.

No chance Watson and Millars wages equals Johnstone, very intrigued to see if any talk of another player pops up this week, we look awfy short in midfield now.

Sad to see Millar going, can't share the sentiment we should be getting rid of Paton and Craig instead though, both guarantee you over 30 games a season, Millar can't. They might not be as good but that's not at all that matters.

No chance Watson and Millars wages equals Johnstone, very intrigued to see if any talk of another player pops up this week, we look awfy short in midfield now.

Davidson, Paton, Craig, Spoony, Alston, Thompson, O'Halloran with 4 of them being hit and cold wingers.

I don't know why, but I have a feeling something's afoot. All this doesn't quite add up properly in my mind.

People do realise even if Midge did stay this would be his last season anyway. So if we did let others go first then by by the summer we would be very short and need more than 1 in. 

1 of the keys to our success has been avoiding that kind of turn around of players. 

People thinking there's more to this... There just isnt. He's getting older and no longer justifies his wage in terms of fitness etc. We can't just hold onto players for sentiments sake. Its a business that needs to progress. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.