Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

3 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

How many people do you think work at/for Saints? There is practically f**k all. We get 3 men and his dug at games and you expect us to be like Manchester United.

And we get 3 men and a dog because the club runs itself like a fucking members only club. Half of Perth had no idea our home games in the Betfred were £12 entry, and the one exciting thing to happen this Summer was ended without anyone having any clue why, to the point its virtually a state secret.

We're less than a week from the season, the squad is weaker than last year, our manager puts out different messages every single week, hes now started slating our young players, who we'll have to rely on this season, while Chris Kane, who's miles off it, is coming up 8 months as our only competent striker.

I defended the club after the May deal collapsed, never did I think that one week later we'd still not have a striker signed up. Still not have a back up left back and still not have a midfielder capable of keeping hold of the ball. Three gaping, glaring, obvious holes in the squad, yet 12 months of apparent planning and scouting has brought absolutely nothing there.

Guest Moomintroll
And we get 3 men and a dog because the club runs itself like a fucking members only club. Half of Perth had no idea our home games in the Betfred were £12 entry, and the one exciting thing to happen this Summer was ended without anyone having any clue why, to the point its virtually a state secret.
We're less than a week from the season, the squad is weaker than last year, our manager puts out different messages every single week, hes now started slating our young players, who we'll have to rely on this season, while Chris Kane, who's miles off it, is coming up 8 months as our only competent striker.
I defended the club after the May deal collapsed, never did I think that one week later we'd still not have a striker signed up. Still not have a back up left back and still not have a midfielder capable of keeping hold of the ball. Three gaping, glaring, obvious holes in the squad, yet 12 months of apparent planning and scouting has brought absolutely nothing there.
Look on the bright side, you are still miles ahead of us.

I'm not quite at the same level of annoyance as RandomGuy but it's hard to argue against the point he is making. There is not a chance that Parish, Duffy and Vihmann (who the manager only saw for the first time in March) came up in conversation about this window a year ago. At that time, there was no way we'd be thinking that Stevie May coming back was even remotely realistic either. So what/who were they actually talking about? 

The weaknesses identified by RandomGuy have been there for at least a year and we've not signed anyone in this window to address that at all. I appreciate we don't have a bottomless pit of money, but what exactly were we planning to do if Watt, Shaughnessy and Easton had signed the contract extensions if the budget was apparently spent after we signed Duffy and Parish? We'd still be shouting for another striker who can score goals and for this midfielder, but would be sitting with 27 when the manager has been told he can only carry a squad of 24.

We've got a month left in the window so hopefully all worries will be dispelled but I don't believe for a minute this window has been as organised and well thought out as the manager has made out in the past. It certainly feels chaotic and that we're just sitting waiting for players to become available, rather than actively pursuing identified targets.

18 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You better get in there fast and get Sowah before Killie get him. 

Of course Saints are run like an amateur outfit, especially in the commercial department, nobody can argue with that. The folk in charge will argue back that they've done alright with skeleton staff, made profit(some years), had European adventures and won a trophy. It's a balancing act at a club like Saints, spend and most likely  lose money by running it the way we think it should be or plodding along getting by the way we are. Personally I think Stevie isn't much of a gambler. Either way, a few fans moaning on forums isn't going to make him change his whole business philosophy. Sad state of affairs, start saving Random and buy the c**t out.

20 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Come on, don't be unfair.

That was actually our previous media guy, who was making great strides in taking us out the dark ages. We now have Gary who supposedly is a Saints fan, I have my doubts but suppose he might've been a banter page fan, kinda makes sense. 

31 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Come on, don't be unfair.

A rare day of sunshine in a world of gloom regarding our marketing/communications I'm afraid, as glorious as it is.

Edit: Paul Paton walking round the corner like a radge scary bouncer is still the highlight IMO.

Edited by Kyle

5 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Edit: Paul Paton walking round the corner like a radge scary bouncer is still the highlight IMO.

I was literally about to say Paul Paton is definitely the best bit. How on earth is that a footballer?

Pates did a great job at Saints.

I really liked the dirty wee,nasty b*****d.

He was pretty gash at actual football but still.

Anyway don't expect any radical changes at the club. Especially with Bulletproof in charge.

And quite obviously the money wasn't gone after Parish and Duffy came in. I don't expect that even Brown would have expected May to play for free.

11 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Pates did a great job at Saints.

I really liked the dirty wee,nasty b*****d.

He was pretty gash at actual football but still.

Anyway don't expect any radical changes at the club. Especially with Bulletproof in charge.

And quite obviously the money wasn't gone after Parish and Duffy came in. I don't expect that even Brown would have expected May to play for free.

There's going to be trouble, The Saintee. 

8 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

I like Chris Kane, I think he’s a valuable member of our squad and he helps us play better football. 

I will be starting the Chris Kane fan-club this year.  

Ten league goals this season imo

Kane has games where he does very well. In front of goal we know he has his problems but I think the biggest issue with the fact he doesn't score enough is that Chris Kane himself doesn't believes he'll score 10 goals this season. 

He's capable of it as he's shown at lower levels but needs to work on the mental aspect in front of goal. Any shrinks on here that could volunteer their time for free for the greater good of our team? 😂

Chris Kane is a typical Scottish football "forward". Not clinical enough to be a striker, not good enough on the ball to be a midfielder, not strong enough to be a defender. More interested in summer holidays to Magaluf than dedicating himself to being a top athlete.