Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

We hand out so many contracts to players based on f**k all.

Surround yourself with shite and you'll soon find it's drowning you.

Lets say Steve Brown bumped his head on the cupboard door this morning, heads in to McDiarmid and says to Callum Davidson - "you know that money we got for Kerr & McCann, lets spend it on a striker that fits the system, works hard and scores goals" 

Who do you go for? I'm not necessarily talking realistic shouts here, but maybe not as far as tempting Erling Haaland to #perthshire

Going right back to Coyle and McInnes, I think you've always managed to call who would get new deals and who wouldn't. 

If anything, you've been surprised at players who haven't (e.g. Cregg, Hasselbaink) or even guys that maybe weren't great but were actually released early (e.g. McDonald, Paton). 

This is so far the other way and I'm pretty staggered. I could get behind extending the Crawford loan until the summer given the vacancy created in the squad with Wotherspoon's injury but a two-year deal? Just ridiculous. 

The other player he is talking about is MacPherson. A player who has shown absolutely nothing in his 7 appearancea to merit a permanent contract. That would be an atrocious piece of business.

Think I'll have made up my mind about this manager come 31 January. 

I don’t think the Crawford signing is too bad, it’s an extra body in the squad, and if we had our full fit midfield it’s likely he’d be a bench player.

I’m not eating the hat though if he’s one of the 4-5 contracts.

From reading that article, it suggests that it'll be an extension of Crawford's loan deal and a new contract for a player we've got signed up until the end of the season (Clark, Rooney, etc.). Don't know how people can thin we're signing McPherson based on that, we're not technically allowed to even speak to him about signing and even then St Mirren will offer him a deal to get compensation. 

I'm not Crawford's biggest fan, in fact I don't think I've disliked watching a player as much since Gary McDonald, but if he's seen as cover to come off the bench for 15/20 minutes when we're chasing a game and given no defensive responsibilities, I can just about see the merit in it, since he can score goals. I guess the only other redeeming feature is we know he's match fit, knows the other players and there isn't a settling in period, in a time when we need bodies in the squad.

8 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Sandy Clark MK 2.

Exactly my recent thoughts.

Is Callum to Tommy Wright what Clark was to Sturrock.

Not sure, as I still think Davidson is a far better coach than Clark was, but the success achieved with someone else’s team before it unravelling feels similar.

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

There seems to be a little unrest in the camp....

Let's wait till we're marooned at the bottom by Christmas then have a disastrous window till we completely lose the plot lads.

Can we not just completely lose it now? Maybe suggest Cd going to Hibs and we'll have Ross

Just because someone is good at hanging wallpaper, doesn't mean you'd let them pick it. 

Davidson is a very good coach. My only real worry upon his appointment was whether he'd have the personality/charisma to lead a group of players. He certainly managed it last season and kept the belief of the squad when we weren't getting the results our play deserved.

Our discipline has been rotten this season though and he hasn't got a grip on that but the biggest issue, it transpires, has been his activity in the transfer market. 

He is saying the right things about next month, so we'll see what happens. Crawford and MacPherson would not be a good start. 

On Sandy Clark, he did galvanise a group of players but three things come to mind that went wrong for him. I'm sure others will have different opinions. His transfer policy obviously, he'd lose a left back, then sign a striker. I think he doubted himself as a coach too and that transferred to the players, notably when he developed a 4-2-3-1 system at the start of 2000/01 but then ditched it after the a few bad results, the only problem being he'd signed Hartley and Lovenkrands specifically to play in it.

The third was largely outwith his control and was the O'Boyle and Thomas incident. I think he lost the dressing room following that. He's said as much himself in that if he had the time back, he'd have pleaded with the club to keep it in-house. Of course, the argument is Saints wanted shot of the players... 

7 hours ago, tree house tam said:

There seems to be a little unrest in the camp....

Let's wait till we're marooned at the bottom by Christmas then have a disastrous window till we completely lose the plot lads.

A lot the unrest is coming from those who wouldn’t hear a bad word about Wright, when we were in a similar position