Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 minute ago, johnoswald2712 said:

Oh well then we’ll just sack him and put you in charge. I’m sure the players will love your nice charts and coaching experience

There we go. 

Make comment -> Get comment questioned -> Go for personal insults and make ridiculous suggestion. You'll fit in here nicely.

I'll never, ever, be a football manager. I'll never achieve anything in the game nevermind what Davidson has. That doesn't mean I can't say that hes negative as f**k and plays a decent part in our lack of goals.

Callum may be negative but what is the best way to not lose games - not to concede - as soon as that happens then we begin to build again.

Bear in mind we finished 5th scoring the least goals in the league one season (pretty sure we were bottom that season too)

Just now, NYD1997 said:

This may shock you but we were bottom in October… 

We have signed a midfielder who appears from the outset to be a very good signing. 

We have went through bad runs before - players like Liam Craig, Callum booth etc are the ones who drag you out of it - not players like Middleton and Crawford who will avoid the battle

Yeah, I'm sure we were bottom on the 4th then we beat Hamilton the next week and never touched 12th again.

Butterfield hasn't played a game since June. He won't be turning our season around alone or even this month.

Callum Booth? The boy who controls our left flank, yet doesn't score or create any chances, you're looking at him and a 34/35yo DM to turn our season around?

Far too many folk believing this a Tommy Wright side from 3 years ago they're talking about. We've been awful all season and in 18 months Callum Davidson has never found a way of getting us goals at home, its surely time for folk to realise this and not just nod their heads because "its worked out fine before".

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah, I'm sure we were bottom on the 4th then we beat Hamilton the next week and never touched 12th again.

Butterfield hasn't played a game since June. He won't be turning our season around alone or even this month.

Callum Booth? The boy who controls our left flank, yet doesn't score or create any chances, you're looking at him and a 34/35yo DM to turn our season around?

Far too many folk believing this a Tommy Wright side from 3 years ago they're talking about. We've been awful all season and in 18 months Callum Davidson has never found a way of getting us goals at home, its surely time for folk to realise this and not just nod their heads because "its worked out fine before".

We have had players who have came in after not playing for a while and changed our team (James dunne who barely played prior to signing is the one who comes to mind)

Guys like booth, Craig, Bryson Liam Gordon etc guys that are willing to put the work in for little reward will eventually get the reward. Middleton won’t even put the work in for the reward.

7 minutes ago, NYD1997 said:

Callum may be negative but what is the best way to not lose games - not to concede - as soon as that happens then we begin to build again.

Bear in mind we finished 5th scoring the least goals in the league one season (pretty sure we were bottom that season too)

That's the problem though, we're playing with a cup mentality. Not conceding goals might be the best way to avoid defeat, but if we want to avoid relegation we simply must win games, and Davidson isn't able to set up his team to win games

2 minutes ago, NYD1997 said:

We have had players who have came in after not playing for a while and changed our team (James dunne who barely played prior to signing is the one who comes to mind)

Guys like booth, Craig, Bryson Liam Gordon etc guys that are willing to put the work in for little reward will eventually get the reward.

James Dunne had played 14 games in EFL League One before he joined us, his last game down there on the 21st of December, he signed for us a month later. Butterfield hasnt played since the 6th of June. Dunne didn't "change our team" in the slightest either. He simply took Murray Davidsons role.

I've no idea what the last sentence is even meant to be mean. They can work like f**k all they want but if we're only getting 1 shot on target in the box a game, as we've done for around a month now, then we're going to get relegated.

There we go. 
Make comment -> Get comment questioned -> Go for personal insults and make ridiculous suggestion. You'll fit in here nicely.
I'll never, ever, be a football manager. I'll never achieve anything in the game nevermind what Davidson has. That doesn't mean I can't say that hes negative as f**k and plays a decent part in our lack of goals.

If you feel hurt by that I apologise but unfortunately Callum can only play the hand he has been dealt. Yes we need to be more expansive and exciting but these type of players tend to come at a substantial cost way beyond our budget.

Lewis McCann at Dunfermline and Robbie Deas at ICT would be 2 players I would target next month. Both would require a fee but not so much that we couldn’t afford them. Wage demands unlikely to be high as well. I would also bin all the loan players except Devine and bring back Gilmour and Ballantyne. 3 forward thinking players plus a solid defender would be a good start to addressing our problems. Maybe our Head of Recruitment has more in mind

2 minutes ago, steviemay17 said:

That's the problem though, we're playing with a cup mentality. Not conceding goals might be the best way to avoid defeat, but if we want to avoid relegation we simply must win games, and Davidson isn't able to set up his team to win games

So say we go all out attack for it - and get beat 4/5-2 is that better than being beat 1-0 no, your still getting beat and even worse it’s harder to stop conceding then to nick goals

1 minute ago, NYD1997 said:

So say we go all out attack for it - and get beat 4/5-2 is that better than being beat 1-0 no, your still getting beat and even worse it’s harder to stop conceding then to nick goals

I believe there is some kind of middle ground between "all out attack" and "scoring 1 goal from open play in 9 games"

The refusal to attack also ends up putting more and more pressure on the defence, they don't have an out-ball so they have to defend more and more in each game, but they are also getting zero margin for error because we're beat as soon as we go one down. I might be forgetting some very obvious examples but have we come back from a goal down this season to get anything in the league yet?

Edited by steviemay17

Just now, johnoswald2712 said:

Yes we need to be more expansive and exciting but these type of players tend to come at a substantial cost way beyond our budget.

Hes got Middleton, Viv, MOH and Vertainen as options, all of them would be comfortable on a wing running at people, yet doesn't play with wide men.

Thats not Steve Browns fault.

20 minutes ago, NYD1997 said:

The over reliance on being solid is putting too much pressure on the defence. They KNOW how to defend. They KNOW how to keep solid and stay in the shape. I'd have no problem if we were difficult to beat from a winning position but right now we're trying it from the first minute. It's not working.

Hes got Middleton, Viv, MOH and Vertainen as options, all of them would be comfortable on a wing running at people, yet doesn't play with wide men.
Thats not Steve Browns fault.

Middleton has been a massive disappointment. Even last season a couple of free kicks pretty much covered up some pretty poor displays. MOH is a poster boy for wingers , he’s like a bag of revels, you never know what you’re getting. Viv might be the answer but all indications are he’s only here for the month . Vertainen did ok when he came on today but he might be more effective in Crawford’s position (think I would be more effective than Crawford too though). Even if we get wide players we still need someone to convert the chances.

2 minutes ago, johnoswald2712 said:

Middleton has been a massive disappointment. Even last season a couple of free kicks pretty much covered up some pretty poor displays. MOH is a poster boy for wingers , he’s like a bag of revels, you never know what you’re getting. Viv might be the answer but all indications are he’s only here for the month . Vertainen did ok when he came on today but he might be more effective in Crawford’s position (think I would be more effective than Crawford too though). Even if we get wide players we still need someone to convert the chances.

Won't disagree with any of that tbh, but do feel we'd be more exciting with actual wide men playing wide, rather than wedging them at wing back without support or up front as a central striker.

How has Davidson gone from double cup winning managerial hero to useless c*** in six months?

You see, the chairman took a phonecall from Preston at 10:35pm on transfer deadline day…

We continue to give up far too much possession, defend well enough but just invite pressure on ourselves constantly. We continue not to get pumped - mainly because I think our defenders are pretty decent at shutting down most chances and they have a good goalkeeper in decent form behind them - but we have to abandon this idea of solidity and defensive mindedness/pressing being the first characteristic we are looking for in our attacking players. If you don’t keep the ball away from your own box then stuff like Aberdeen’s goal yesterday are going to happen from time to time regardless of how well you defend the rest of the game.

Even without abandoning the system you have to trust that the back three, whichever one/two of Craig/Davidson/Bryson and the two wing backs will provide more than enough defensively to let the rest of the team off the leash. We absolutely *must* be more creative.

The worst of it, however, is that we’ve turned in this totally shit run in a series of games that should have been favourable to us. I’m willing to write off the Livi game as an aberration - but Dundee away, St Mirren, Aberdeen and Hibs at home - with the latter two in dubious form - was an opportunity to let ourselves off the leash at least to some degree. Now we have to try and find something new against Rangers, Celtic and Hearts and away to Motherwell. That’s a horrible run. Even at this stage the County game on the 22nd is an absolute must win. Lose that and we may well be utterly detached come the winter break and there will have to be a spectacular run in the New Year.

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

How has Davidson gone from double cup winning managerial hero to useless c*** in six months?

Because he can neither get his team scoring, nor figure out a new way of playing after losing his best 3 players, nor improve the squad through transfer business.