Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

9 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

At least we’ve not spunked our budget panic signing shite. You boys desperately need inspiration and you’ve signed 2 players with little or no experience at this level and a total headbanger emoji4.pngemoji4.pngemoji4.png

Isn't it braw to spunk our Berry money!4 ,or 5 5 more to come  I hear!

Just the 9 new players in January [emoji23] should’ve gelled by mid March then. 

Yip. It’s all looking very misguided and desperate. Total signing tombola and the panic button battered.

I predict only the Irish bombscare will still be at Sainties when they line up against QotS at the start of next season.

22 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

Yip. It’s all looking very misguided and desperate. Total signing tombola and the panic button battered.

I predict only the Irish bombscare will still be at Sainties when they line up against QotS at the start of next season.

I'm not looking forward to.playing you lot when he's up against Griffiths and Cummings TBH..Dundee obviously have a far bigger budget than we do so you can afford to pay really big bucks to attract that kind of quality.

5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Alternatively...

- CB who played in the Europa League Groups last season

- LB who played for the side who finished 2nd in the MLS last season

- Striker who transfermarkt say has a better than 1 in 3 record in this division

I'm not gonna jump in with 2 feet and write your signings off, but we need to accept that they are massive gambles and that'll be the case with everyone's signings in this window such is the way the January transfer window works.

However, I do think it is worth stating at this very moment that I don't think you've made any signings that will make other clubs 'fearful' that are in the relegation battle right now.

You've signed a CH from the Irish league, who as far as I can see, doesn't even have a wikipedia page. A LB that's been released by his previous club, is 22 and only has around 25 games under his belt mostly at a lower level in the Championship, Ali Crawford on a 2 and half year deal which I'm sure doesn't need more explanation and finally a striker that has a very similar strike rate to Danny Mullen and doesn't contribute as many assists despite playing in almost 40 more games.

It's certainly better than our window thus far but that's due to the fact we've signed no-one as of yet.

Again, let me say, these signings may turn things completely around for you guys and Nadir Ciftci might have another United-esque spell, I'm just saying I also understand why there's people coming on and having wee digs! As I say, they might be the inspired signings you need in the January window and lead you comfortably to safety. We're all shopping in the shite bargain section just now and need to hope for the best. Unlikely that there'll be more than 1 or 2 signings between the 4-5 clubs in the relegation battle that actually makes the majority think 'Fucking hell, that's a coup!'

Edited by Ludo*1

34 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I'm not gonna jump in with 2 feet and write your signings off, but we need to accept that they are massive gambles and that'll be the case with everyone's signings in this window such is the way the January transfer window works.

However, I do think it is worth stating at this very moment that I don't think you've made any signings that will make other clubs 'fearful' that are in the relegation battle right now.

You've signed a CH from the Irish league, who as far as I can see, doesn't even have a wikipedia page. A LB that's been released by his previous club, is 22 and only has around 25 games under his belt mostly at a lower level in the Championship, Ali Crawford on a 2 and half year deal which I'm sure doesn't need more explanation and finally a striker that has a very similar strike rate to Danny Mullen and doesn't contribute as many assists despite playing in almost 40 more games.

It's certainly better than our window thus far but that's due to the fact we've signed no-one as of yet.

Again, let me say, these signings may turn things completely around for you guys and Nadir Ciftci might have another United-esque spell, I'm just saying I also understand why there's people coming on and having wee digs!

Fairly good summary to be honest.

I don't know what I was really expecting but had these signings, especially Gallagher and Cleary and to a certain extent shift key been at the start of the season they would probably have a glossier tinge to them.

I'm not saying they are bad as there is pros and cons to each and I guess that's the point. For the predicament we are in what tarnishes a little for me is there are too many unknowns.

Overall though, trying to keep positive, we honestly can't be worse than the last two months and I don't think any of the three will make us worse.

Performances aside we have not really been battered score wise so we just need to be a little better. Hopefully if nothing else new blood alone manages that 

9 minutes ago, Shaggy Jenkins said:

Fairly good summary to be honest.

I don't know what I was really expecting but had these signings, especially Gallagher and Cleary and to a certain extent shift key been at the start of the season they would probably have a glossier tinge to them.

I'm not saying they are bad as there is pros and cons to each and I guess that's the point. For the predicament we are in what tarnishes a little for me is there are too many unknowns.

Overall though, trying to keep positive, we honestly can't be worse than the last two months and I don't think any of the three will make us worse.

Performances aside we have not really been battered score wise so we just need to be a little better. Hopefully if nothing else new blood alone manages that 

Totally agree and it'll be the same with us and I'm sure our thread will have a few wee visits from people trying to mock our signings when they happen as well! January is never a good time to make sweeping changes to a squad but unfortunately there's a couple of squads that need to do it right now in the hope of surviving! 

6 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Oh aye, I was just playing with Spud tbh. January is a shit window but we have to roll the dice in it after the mess the Summer window was.

The main hope I have with most of the incomings, aside from Crawford, is that they were all targeted long before the window opened so the risk of us not getting what we expect is lower. They've been signed to fit the system the manager wants to play. Should mean that long term they pay off even if they struggle coming in to a shit team in a new league, some other clubs around us don't plan for windows so it's almost just luck you get the really obvious ones you know about or get someone handed to you. We done that in the Summer and you can see how that worked out.

We still need another striker on top of Ciftci, then probably at least one CM as a minimum. Then the squad is there to at least give it a go. If it fails it fails but they'll have tried, keeping the same squad would've just seen a meek surrender IMO.

7 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Again, let me say, these signings may turn things completely around for you guys and Nadir Ciftci might have another United-esque spell, I'm just saying I also understand why there's people coming on and having wee digs! As I say, they might be the inspired signings you need in the January window and lead you comfortably to safety. We're all shopping in the shite bargain section just now and need to hope for the best. Unlikely that there'll be more than 1 or 2 signings between the 4-5 clubs in the relegation battle that actually makes the majority think 'Fucking hell, that's a coup!'

Hard to argue with. 

Can only speak for myself but I do think that the 2 defensive signings are probably as good as we could have hoped for and with any striker (particularly at this time of year), it's going to be a gamble. You gloss over the Crawford contract but I still think that's a big deal. I think that it has a real effect on confidence in the club's judgement so any new player coming in will maybe have more to prove with the fans than might be fair. 

I also agree that there's nothing there to worry other teams, which considering the big talk in the papers about raiding the war chest isn't inspiring - although we all know that the phrase 'considerable sums' to spend on players will have a different meaning to our chairman than the fan base. Are we really spending any more than we normally would? I think that there's some evidence for this if it's true that we were 'blown out the water' by Motherwell for a Celtic loanee.

Will be telling if we lose out on others (eg Rudden) purely on money. If there was ever the time we really need to take the risk over maybe over-paying for a player, it's now.

There's surely more to come but for me it's a 6/10 window so far.

They're addressing the weaknesses, in the hobbits eyes. It shows with the deals handed out which players he sees fitting into his system and like it or not Crawford is here for the foreseeable. The two defenders are the types that when they work, they work great. Two guys who've been coached at Liverpool for years will have the basics right and with Cleary he has big game experience added since then,  no matter what the Dees say. Every signing is a gamble but these are the ones which are worth it imo. Nadir? Now that's a risky one.

I think we need another 3 in personally, a CM and two attacking players and that's before we lose any. CM has to be quality and two others who can play in a forward two/three, whether that's a winger in the Viv mould and a Rudden type, young long term prospect that is quick with quick feet. The underlying problems are still there, MOH, May, Ambrose etc all being paid decent cash for f**k all return.....

10 hours ago, Fifespud said:

Is this the same Irish bombscare that has played more European games in the last five years than Dundee FC have in the last 50(fifty) odd years?

Wouldn't put it past him to get a few more in with Saints before Dundee even finish in the top half of the table tbh.

Edited by tree house tam

5 minutes ago, FrankChickens1 said:

Was very excited for the Dan Cleary signing but sad to see he's a moron. 

I wonder if club checked whether he's vaxxed. It could be he's one of those anti vaxxers who have been jabbed. 

You really need to stop this shite BTW. It's now twice you've labelled someone an anti-vaxxer based on them liking a tweet that has nothing to do with promoting that and is all about querying decisions those in power are making.

It's just weird.

Yes a dynamic centre midfielder for me who will get stuck in but decent on the ball, in the mould of ex-Motherwell player Alan Campbell would be ideal.

Also at least one quality wide attacking player is essential. If we’re going 5-2-3 (3-4-3), either side of Cifti needs to be either a vastly improved Middleton or O’Halloran from the first half of the season, or new player(s).  As it’s not been announced that Viv is away, wondering if we’re trying to tie him up for the next 5 months? 

If it’s 5-3-2 (3-4-1-2) then imagine Davidson sees Crawford in the role linking midfield to front, and Cifti with Kane or May up front..  Again they need to vastly improve upon the first half of the season to be effective.

Another goal scoring option would be good. But would prioritise the cm and wide player personally.

1 hour ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Hard to argue with. 

Can only speak for myself but I do think that the 2 defensive signings are probably as good as we could have hoped for and with any striker (particularly at this time of year), it's going to be a gamble. You gloss over the Crawford contract but I still think that's a big deal. I think that it has a real effect on confidence in the club's judgement so any new player coming in will maybe have more to prove with the fans than might be fair. 

I also agree that there's nothing there to worry other teams, which considering the big talk in the papers about raiding the war chest isn't inspiring - although we all know that the phrase 'considerable sums' to spend on players will have a different meaning to our chairman than the fan base. Are we really spending any more than we normally would? I think that there's some evidence for this if it's true that we were 'blown out the water' by Motherwell for a Celtic loanee.

Will be telling if we lose out on others (eg Rudden) purely on money. If there was ever the time we really need to take the risk over maybe over-paying for a player, it's now.

There's surely more to come but for me it's a 6/10 window so far.

Totally agree. While none bit the signings are wow type signings, Nadir aside, they look pretty solid. He may well be like he was at Utd, but I think a gamble worth taking.

It's interesting that we are being so proactive and for once pretty effectively going about out business, yet actually, when you look at the table, a couple of wins pulls us right up the table and it seems none of the teams around us are bringing in that many players early on. Maybe if we can do the business we need early, we can rack up some points before others do theirs and build some momentum. The Jan/Feb games are all ones that are winnable.