Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

The pre-season and League Cup campaign in 2019 was a shambles and I felt at the time it takes a while to recover from that. Maybe the board (we keep saying board but in reality what is that?) will look at that and ultimately Tommy Wright turned it round by digging out results when he needed them and then getting us back on track. 

There is one HUGE difference though. Nobody was agitating for change that summer, the support was still behind a popular manager. 

As alluded to, there were a couple of occasions where he needed results - in the October following a dismal loss at St Mirren, and in December after losing 4 goals twice in quick succession - and he did that then we never looked back but he dug those out before there was any real discontent or pressure.

Is there any way back for Callum Davidson from here? Can he really win over what, IMO, is now a significant portion of the support who have turned against him? Does any manager ever manage that? 

I tried to believe things would change after a summer of reflection and appreciate that two games is a very harsh barometer but I can't see anything to look forward too in our current situation. My main emotion yesterday was apathy. I would make the change today. 

1 hour ago, PSJ.84 said:

I’ve absolutely no doubt that’s what they’ll do. He’ll probably win the three games prior to that and they’ll think things are beginning to change 

Yup.

I dont see what itll achieve as is he honestly likely to actually change anything at this stage? He was given a break in January and the Summer to figure out whats going wrong, and how to change it, yet he still makes the same mistakes. Is he magically going to figure it out and work out a resolution over the next month?

What feels like an endless loop of awful transfers - poor tactics - poor results - stumble onto slight change - slightly better results - awful transfers isnt actually a loop, its us circling the drain and progressively getting worse. Quicker the club act the more chance we have but, IMO, the damage hes already done to the squad is something we'll take 2/3 years to recover from as it stands.

Edited by RandomGuy.

The squad is not great but there is some salvageable aspects to it I hope. I agree that every day that passes does more damage now but there are players in there that are capable of more, I'm sure of it.

A new manager and a couple of smart loans from England and we might somehow manage to survive.

18 minutes ago, Radford said:

The squad is not great but there is some salvageable aspects to it I hope. I agree that every day that passes does more damage now but there are players in there that are capable of more, I'm sure of it.

A new manager and a couple of smart loans from England and we might somehow manage to survive.

I agree with the previous post (was thinking the same about the 2019 league cup yesterday too). We've got a lot of 6/10 performers and a couple of highlights who are surely at a good enough level to squeak a top 6 (Hallberg, Caret and Murphy seem to be those), a few that could be (Cleary, Mahon. MacPherson(??), Brown, Wright) and Kane and Spoony returning from injury. We also have what looks like a real prospect in wee Max and but I think even to finish 10th we're short of a GK, CDM and striker and they need to be really good quality recruits. 

I've decided not to go to Elgin. I can't remember the last time I actively chose not to go to an away cup game at a ground I've not been to before. 

As the old saying goes the best time to plant a tree was last year, be next best time is now. Kelty was when he should have gone but if we act now then at least someone coming in would get some of the window. It just won't happen though and I really hope we're all wrong. 

It's the settling that Davidson does. Crawford and MacPherson are the prime examples. There is absolutely no chance that Tommy Wright signs either after having them on loan. He always strived for better. We saw it when he released guys like Cregg, Lappin, McDonald, Paton etc... despite them playing a lot of football for him. 

Davidson has settled for and that's why the squad has been systematically destroyed. Wright also realised quickly when long-established players were done, he didn't draw it out with the likes of Anderson and Wright. 

Callum Davidson is taking his namesake Murray down the same route that Sandy Clark did with Kane and Dasovic.

What a mess. 

17 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

I agree with the previous post (was thinking the same about the 2019 league cup yesterday too). We've got a lot of 6/10 performers and a couple of highlights who are surely at a good enough level to squeak a top 6 (Hallberg, Caret and Murphy seem to be those), a few that could be (Cleary, Mahon. MacPherson(??), Brown, Wright) and Kane and Spoony returning from injury. We also have what looks like a real prospect in wee Max and but I think even to finish 10th we're short of a GK, CDM and striker and they need to be really good quality recruits. 

I've decided not to go to Elgin. I can't remember the last time I actively chose not to go to an away cup game at a ground I've not been to before. 

As the old saying goes the best time to plant a tree was last year, be next best time is now. Kelty was when he should have gone but if we act now then at least someone coming in would get some of the window. It just won't happen though and I really hope we're all wrong. 

Jesus. A lot of 6/10s ?

Top 6 performers?

Not for me, certainly not when shoehorned into a shite system with several players out of position. 

23 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

I agree with the previous post (was thinking the same about the 2019 league cup yesterday too). We've got a lot of 6/10 performers and a couple of highlights who are surely at a good enough level to squeak a top 6 (Hallberg, Caret and Murphy seem to be those), a few that could be (Cleary, Mahon. MacPherson(??), Brown, Wright) and Kane and Spoony returning from injury. We also have what looks like a real prospect in wee Max.

Youre over rating a lot of players in this squad, IMO.

Murphy was bombed out an awful Hibs side then done absolutely nothing down south. I daresay he'll pop up with the odd moments but his time as a regular top flight contributer are done.

Hallberg and Carey are our only proven quality players. Cleary, Brown, MacPherson and Wright havent shown anything to suggest they deserve to be tagged as top six players either, i doubt Brown would even standout in the Championship.

Max has potential but he was easily stunted by Annan and turned into a show pony 30 yards from goal. Lets not do a Craig Thomson with him and rush him with hype thats not earned because we're desperate.

Wotherspoon and Kane are good players, but they rely entirely on having quality around them. Them two alone wont be winning us matches, and neither will likely contribute a huge amount before December anyway due to their injuries. 

Edited by RandomGuy.

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Youre over rating a lot of players in this squad, IMO.

Murphy was bombed out an awful Hibs side then done absolutely nothing down south. I daresay he'll pop up with the odd moments but his time as a regular top flight contributer are done.

Hallberg and Carey are our only proven quality players. Cleary, Brown, MacPherson and Wright havent shown anything to suggest they deserve to be tagged as top six players either, i doubt Brown would even standout in the Championship.

Max has potential but he was easily stunted by Annan and turned into a show pony 30 yards from goal. Lets not do a Craig Thomson with him and rush him with hype thats not earned because we're desperate.

Wotherspoon and Kane are good players, but they rely entirely on having quality around them. Them two alone wont be winning us matches, and neither will likely contribute a huge amount before December anyway due to their injuries. 

Yeah I probably didn't explain myself very well. To me a team of 6'/10s finish 10th at best. And I didn't mean to suggest that Clearly. Mahon etc are likely top 6, although it reads like that I admit. I think what I'm saying is that to me, Hallberg, Carey are good enough and I take your points about Murphy but I'd like to hope there's enough of a player left there. 

I think the comment about not going wild about Max is right, but he's literally the only young talent we seem to have (that the manager is willing to give any game time to at least). On the Annan game, yeah you could say he was snuffed out but he had absolutely nothing around him so ended up taking on too much and running into trouble. 

So to be clear I don't think that we have anything like the squad for top 6, but with the right manager it probably should stay in the league if we sort out the keeper, CDM and striker situation. Actually we also need to so something on the left of the defence too, we cannot go on with a Montgomery / Considine situation. 

My main emotion yesterday was apathy. I would make the change today. 

What feels like an endless loop of awful transfers - poor tactics - poor results - stumble onto slight change - slightly better results - awful transfers isnt actually a loop, its us circling the drain and progressively getting worse.

As the old saying goes the best time to plant a tree was last year, be next best time is now. Kelty was when he should have gone but if we act now then at least someone coming in would get some of the window.

I take it you three have your coaching badges then???

27 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

IMG_2475.jpg

IMG_2476.jpg

IMG_2477.jpg

I think Richard may have been at the game yesterday - there was a guy in front of me arguing with anybody that shouted anything negative about Callum. 

1 hour ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

That’s the only reason I’ve not considered patching it, imagine if I had been to Borough Briggs it’d be a different story 

6 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

That’s the only reason I’ve not considered patching it, imagine if I had been to Borough Briggs it’d be a different story 

Last time I was there was when Keith Watson made his debut. I think it was one of Swansons first games back after he left as well, he scored a decent goal as well if I remember. 3-1 Saints, let's see if Callum Davidsons St Johnstone can do the same....

4 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Last time I was there was when Keith Watson made his debut. I think it was one of Swansons first games back after he left as well, he scored a decent goal as well if I remember. 3-1 Saints, let's see if Callum Davidsons St Johnstone can do the same....

Clark

Watson - Shaughnessy - Anderson - Easton

Alston - Millar - Craig - Swanson

MacLean - Cummins

Feels like a lifetime ago.

I think the pressure is almost going to get too much for him. I don’t think he lasts anywhere near November if we crash out, and if we start poorly.

I think he’s going to regret not leaving of his own accord after last season, because the poor performances will be spoke about at the same level as the double.

32 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

6 years ago yesterday funnily enough